What is your limit for a "Cap %" for Nylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Staring contests always result with tears in the eyes.

Now that Matthews is signed Nylander better be ready to go. If he's not willing to blink Treliving needs to make the first move. Find out what the best return is on a certain greedy winger.

Let some other team pay Nylander eight figures a year to be a complementary player.

Half the fan base wants this guy gone anyway. The only ones who might want him to stick around probably bought his jersey. Otherwise Nylander may find himself all alone in the crying if he's traded.

He can use all that money from his new contract to dry the tears away.
Wow. Someone pee in your cornflakes this morning?

Reactions: Racer88

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
9.5 is what I'm expecting. It sucks, but whatever. He shows up in the playoffs, and I think still has a higher gear even past 40 goals and 80 points.

This year is big, if we fail again, it's time to start eying a major retool when we get off Tavares contract.

Reactions: themilosh

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Asking for $10M isn't bad. Giving it is.

If he gets $9-9.5M we should be happy.
Happy that it's fair.
I am glad Matthews didn't get a NMC for his full price contract and would expect a similar situation for Willy at this price.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
9.5 is what I'm expecting. It sucks, but whatever. He shows up in the playoffs, and I think still has a higher gear even past 40 goals and 80 points.

This year is big, if we fail again, it's time to start eying a major retool when we get off Tavares contract.

I think Nylander has the talent to be a 100 point guy, the question is: does he have the motor?

He takes way too many shifts / games off.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I agree 9-9.5 would be great. But we all know will it won’t happen. And there should be no ill will to Willie because of it. Not his fault previous mgmt was stupid.

With the way the Leafs have coddled this core of top players, I'd be shocked if they can get Nylander below 10 after he just scored the same number of goals as 13.25 Matthews. Reallllly hoping they do, but I'll be surprised.

The most important thing is to keep pressure on them and no more NMC or NTC so the team actually has leverage on these spoiled brats.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wish there was an unlike button. I could express my dislike to some stuff posted while relishing in the recognition of the fragile triggered crowd.
Posts like this make you seem a tad fragile yourself.

I think Nylander has the talent to be a 100 point guy, the question is: does he have the motor?

He takes way too many shifts / games off.
I don't mind him taking off some games myself and I certainly don't care about getting 100 points, just be ready for the playoffs

I agree 9-9.5 would be great. But we all know will it won’t happen. And there should be no ill will to Willie because of it. Not his fault previous mgmt was stupid.
No ill will towards any of them, they're all free to do what they want. I'm hoping he'll sign for 9.5, 10 seems like too much but since we overpaid Matthews, I can see Nylander holding out for a bit of an overpayment himself, we'll see.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I don't mind him taking off some games myself and I certainly don't care about getting 100 points, just be ready for the playoffs.

Nylander is wildly overrated in the playoffs here.

No one is saying go 120% balls to the wall the whole regular season and having nothing left in the tank for the playoffs, but building a habit of showing up is kind of important for the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

No one is saying go 120% balls to the wall the whole regular season and having nothing left in the tank for the playoffs, but building a habit of showing up is kind of important for the playoffs.
I'm more than happy with the way he's played in the playoffs last 3 seasons. He's played closer to his max potential than the other high priced bellhops anyway, hard to ask for more than that.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm more than happy with the way he's played in the playoffs last 3 seasons. He's played closer to his max potential than the other high priced bellhops anyway, hard to ask for more than that.

Yes, I'm aware of the narrative.. but I think it is baloney. He was invisible a lot of the time.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes, I'm aware of the narrative.. but I think it is baloney. He was invisible a lot of the time.
May be a bit of recency bias but what I remember most from the Florida series is us badly needing a goal and M&M being invisible, almost as if they'd given up already while Nylander was still buzzing around, being dangerous, creating chances ...

Reactions: TorMapleJays

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
May be a bit of recency bias but what I remember most from the Florida series is us badly needing a goal and M&M being invisible, almost as if they'd given up already while Nylander was still buzzing around, being dangerous, creating chances ...

He certainly had great timing for his few flashes of brilliance, I'll give him that. Everyone remembers those and forgets how much of a magic man he was the rest of the time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He certainly had great timing for his few flashes of brilliance, I'll give him that. Everyone remembers those and forgets how much of a magic man he was the rest of the time.
Not sure but I believe nobody has scored more points for us over the last 3 playoffs so that's more than a "few flashes". M&M play together, get paid a ton more, they also didn't get taken off PP1 the way Nylander did so how they couldn't outscore Willie is beyond me. Yes he's nowhere near as good defensively as M&M but still, IMO he's given us better bang for the buck then those guys.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It sure sounds like Leafs and Willie are too far apart to get a deal done. Start shopping him hard.

P.S. You are not winning any cups with 4 proven playoff losers making 8 figures and chewing up half the cap.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Correct. No clauses at all have been mentioned in the press, or listed on Cap Friendly.
Cap Friendly's contract page states that the contract is based on reports and the amount and clauses are subject to change.

PuckPedia is reporting that there is a full NMC.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It sure sounds like Leafs and Willie are too far apart to get a deal done. Start shopping him hard.

P.S. You are not winning any cups with 4 proven playoff losers making 8 figures and chewing up half the cap.
Yup going to be harder to move him the closer the season gets

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Not sure but I believe nobody has scored more points for us over the last 3 playoffs so that's more than a "few flashes". M&M play together, get paid a ton more, they also didn't get taken off PP1 the way Nylander did so how they couldn't outscore Willie is beyond me. Yes he's nowhere near as good defensively as M&M but still, IMO he's given us better bang for the buck then those guys.
I still think taking Nylander off PP1 was a terrible decision. Not saying that our players don't need to all be better in bigger moments, but I think Keefe has held this team back in the playoffs more than people give him credit for

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

P/GP Last three seasons regular, playoffs, difference:
Marner 1.27 1.04 -.23
Matthews 1.29 1.00 -.29
Nylander 0.98 1.00 +.02
Tavares 0.96 0.74 -.22

The difference becomes even more apparent if you focus on just the later games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I still think taking Nylander off PP1 was a terrible decision. Not saying that our players don't need to all be better in bigger moments, but I think Keefe has held this team back in the playoffs more than people give him credit for
Yeah I'm not one of those who's constantly complaining about the coach but these playoffs, taking Nylander off PP1 and also playing him less than he should overall was IMO a massive and obvious mistake and I'd gladly fire him just for that alone.

P/GP Last three seasons regular, playoffs, difference:
Marner 1.27 1.04 -.23
Matthews 1.29 1.00 -.29
Nylander 0.98 1.00 +.02
Tavares 0.96 0.74 -.22

The difference becomes even more apparent if you focus on just the later games.
This. A thousand time this! So tired of hearing that playoff performance doesn't matter when negotiating contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad