Nylander contract discussion - New Poll

What is your limit for a "Cap %" for Nylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What I find interesting is the number of players including Willy saying they had no contract extension talks with Kyle Dubas. Pretty sure there was going to be huge changes this off season if he remained.

Now I’m torn because I think I would have welcomed change. Honestly most of this falls on Shanny so hopefully whatever vision he has for the team comes to fruition.

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What I find interesting is the number of players including Willy saying they had no contract extension talks with Kyle Dubas. Pretty sure there was going to be huge changes this off season if he remained.

Now I’m torn because I think I would have welcomed change. Honestly most of this falls on Shanny so hopefully whatever vision he has for the team comes to fruition.
When was the last time we've heard from Treliving?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
William Nylander says he wants to stay with Toronto Maple Leafs, downplays rush to re-sign | TSN

Toronto Maple Leafs winger William Nylander reiterated Wednesday that he wants to stay with the team as he enters the final year of his current contract.

Nylander, along with Maple Leafs star Auston Matthews, became eligible to sign an extension on July 1, but noted there's no rush to get a deal done.

"For me, the contract, obviously, I want it to work where I can stay there and be there," Nylander told NHL.com(opens in a new tab). "There's no other place I want to play, but I still have one more year left.

"I don't understand why there's such a big rush to do something right now. I still have one more year left."

Nylander, who is coming off a career year, said his agent had spoken to the Leafs regarding a new deal earlier this summer, but no talks have taken place lately, to his knowledge.

The 27-year-old winger said he has spoken to Matthews as the two face similar situations. While Nylander admitted that he wouldn't mind having a deal in place before the puck drops on the regular season, he and Matthews are both prepared to play out their contracts.

"We actually had a talk about wherever we were at, but we're both just focused on having the best year yet and getting even further than we did last year in the playoffs," Nylander said. "So that's where our mindset is at and if it gets sorted (out), it gets sorted. If not, it's not going to bother us.

"We're just going to keep playing."

I'm guessing we are getting these updates because he just got back to town.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I can't fault him for a wait and see approach. He is gambling on himself. It can be risky but that means he might come out gang busters right from the start. Heck...if he decide to win over the fan base for a big contract and starts hitting players physically, I going to push hard on this forum to sign him for whatever he wants, seeing it has so much influence with management ;)

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Probably - this came up too

Lewis Gross clients: -Gaudreau (Left CGY as a UFA) -Krug (Left BOS as a UFA) -Saad (Left CHI and COL as UFA) -Dumoulin (Left PIT as UFA) -Acciari (Left BOS, FLA, and TOR as a UFA) -Iafallo (Re-signed with LA) His clients usually test the UFA market.

Looks like he has 23 clients, and 5 have left as a UFA.

I'd prefer to see Willy stay, and he seems to be one of the few players with the temperament to not be driven crazy (or out of town) by the pressure of the media/fans/management here.

He said he was waiting to see if Matty gave the team-friendly deal he said he would. Aren't we all?

$10M is not a bad starting point in negotiations, and if they settles on $9-9.5 I'm happy.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Alternately, it makes me wonder if Dubas was already set to go to Pittsburgh, and didn't care about contract talks with his former players.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Alternately, it makes me wonder if Dubas was already set to go to Pittsburgh, and didn't care about contract talks with his former players.

I don’t know if he was set to go to Pittsburgh but he probably knew there was a high percentage chance he wouldn’t be back whether he left or they fired him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I imagine these talks should figure to gain some traction now with Matthews locked in.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I would be shocked if Willy took anything less than $10+ mill.

Matthews isn’t $4+ mill better than Willy.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I would be shocked if Willy took anything less than $10+ mill.

Matthews isn’t $4+ mill better than Willy.

The interresting this is if Tavares is bought out after this season to make room for Nylander at 10 million. For that to happen Toronto must believe that JT is a less than 7 (ca) million player. And maybe Willie is quite not that much better. Hard.

The players are starting munching on next seasons money!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I was expecting Matthews to sign closer to camp, him signing a few weeks early potentially has a trickle down effect on Nylander news

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
The interresting this is if Tavares is bought out after this season to make room for Nylander at 10 million. For that to happen Toronto must believe that JT is a less than 7 (ca) million player. And maybe Willie is quite not that much better. Hard.

The players are starting munching on next seasons money!
can't buy out jt - only saves $606,666 on the cap ... pointless

Reactions: OddyOh and TimeZone

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner should avoid the Media all together.
His Super Elite qualities don't extend off ice.
Cannot agree more.
MM might have the best vision on the ice but he should avoid the medias at all cost bc he just didn’t know what to say.

I was expecting Matthews to sign closer to camp, him signing a few weeks early potentially has a trickle down effect on Nylander news
I find it too much of a coincidence that we heard about Willie wanting to stay….hrs before AM deal is announced.

Reactions: Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lewis Gross - same agent for all the quotes I provided, this is his playbook.

Same like the playbook for contract disputes for the RFAs that don't have leverage or arbitration rights, "rumors" of that player going to Russia or Europe will emerge etc.

Perhaps a good thing then as Nylander is UFA upon expiration of his contract.

Based on latest signing I'd say > $9.25mm

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Willy is as good as gone. He and his agent will not accept a contract where he is paid 4 million less than matthews.
I very much doubt he is going anywhere. I expect Toronto will sign him for $9.5 million or less.

Reactions: kb

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Hopefully the Matthews signing hurries this along now. Seemed like Willy didn’t want to sign first again so now that Auston is locked in this can get a move on.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Zero reason for Nylander to take less than 10M

I'd hold out on signing a new deal in his situation now. Go and put 80 pt - 90 pts and put pressure on Treliving to extend him.

Matthews gave zero discount (took us to the cleaners)

Nylander has zero reason to do a fair or discounted deal now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA