• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I bet it gets done before training camp. Like the Matthews deal, I think both sides will basically cut it down the middle and end up somewhere between 9 and 9.5.

He's like 80% of Matthews.

Heck, this year he was even with Matthews if you look at even strength points to even strength minutes.

Give Matthews extra 20% as he's a center.

So what is 80% of 13.25mm?

Oh, around $10.6mm

I'm really curious of term.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He's like 80% of Matthews.

Heck, this year he was even with Matthews if you look at even strength points to even strength minutes.

Give Matthews extra 20% as he's a center.

So what is 80% of 13.25mm?

Oh, around $10.6mm

I'm really curious of term.
Realistically, I don't think there is any way that Nylander approaches a $10 per year AAV. I really do think that he will ultimately sign for less than $9.5 million, and I think he will sign with Toronto.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Would not be surprised if his agent looks to move him, especially with Keefe still in charge.
Of course, anything can happen, but it feels (with no evidence whatsoever) like Toronto's management has committed to these and does not want to move off them.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews no discount as expected, now we expect Bill to sign a team friendly? I think 34 just sealed Nylander’s fate here to be honest. All team first that guy….

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
That overlap year with the Tavares contract will be nasty.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Willy is easily going to ask for 10M+.

Matthews = 13.25
Willy = 10
Marner = 10.9
Tavares = 11

45M for four players. Brutal. 2024/25 is going to be a wasted season.
We've already wasted an entire era anyways, we should be numb to it at this point. A few more seasons is just another layer of shit frosting on this shit cake that we overpaid for and Shanahan left out in the Ontario summer humidity until it fermented and got even worse. It was already bad before this year because the core ingredients were flawed.

OK I'm done lol

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
IT's a hunch - a total hunch, I have zero inside info on it - but I really feel like after seeing this Matty contract, that Willy will get traded/dealt before the season. Maybe even RIGHT before, as contract negotiations break down.

The apple never falls far from the tree.
Hopefully we get a great return (I think we can!)

Reactions: bax

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
With Matthews signed, Marner or Nylander seems to be popping up. While playoff performance seemingly being the deciding factor here (and a little unfair to Nylander as 2x 1st team all-star and Selke candidate Marner is easily a tier above for the regular season), lets check out the numbers:

Marner vs. Nylander the last 3 years in the playoffs with REL:

5v5:

Shot differential:
Marner: 55.06 (+6.55)
Nylander: 49.04 (-1.30)

High Danger Chance Differential:
Marner: 60.04 (+13.36)
Nylander: 50.80 (-0.18)

Expected Goal differential:
Marner: 59.29 (+10.65)
Nylander: 51.74 (-0.52)

Goal differential:
Marner: 65.98 (+23.46) - this leads all NHL forwards who have played at least 400 minutes
Nylander: 43.50 (-9.96)

5v5, its a complete mismatch. Marner destroys Nylander in every category and ranks as one of the better wingers in the NHL in the playoffs 5v5 the last 3 seasons.

Seeing as Marner is a great Pker who logs solid minutes on the PK, does Nylander have the production numbers to even stand a chance?

PP Production the last 3 years:
Marner: 1 goals, 8 assists for 9 points
Nylander: 4 goals, 3 assists for 7 points

All strengths production:
Marner: 5 goals, 21 assists for 26 points in 25 games
Nylander: 12 goals, 13 assists for 25 points in 25 games

Both players are PPG with Nylander being the better goal scorer but is that really enough to justify taking him over Marner? While Marner's production dipped from his regular season numbers, his defensive numbers made up for that in the overall picture. Nylander has scored some big goals but his passiveness and lack of defensive awareness has cost the team too. If he wants to get the big bucks, he needs a better 2 way game. Before anyone blames Tavares, here are the splits the last 3 years in the playoffs:

Tavares with Nylander 5v5:
xGF%: 52.27
GF%: 46.15

Matthews with Nylander 5v5:
xGF%: 54.04
GF%: 0.00

If almost 60 minutes playing with Matthews 5v5, they havnt been on the ice for a goal scored. Thats awful when you are not a good defensive player.

Both players have been valuable but Marner is the stronger asset when taking cap hit into the equation, even at their current numbers.

I'ts not stretch to say that Nylander's rep as a playoff guy is a tad overrated and Marner gets a bad rap.

If Nylander asks for a penny more than 8 mil, a trade would be the smart option IMO. Marner is good at practically everything and Nylander is a sub standard defensive player who doesn't PK. A great scoring winger. He should be paid like one.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe Keefe can try playing those four guys 80% of the game… :sarcasm:
Keefe just needs to split them into three lines instead playing top 6 and bottom 6.

One or two of them might suffer for having less points but if the team wins, who cares.

Too bad ROR left or we can truly run JT as 3C with players who is better suited for cycling the puck.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
With Matthews signed, Marner or Nylander seems to be popping up. While playoff performance seemingly being the deciding factor here (and a little unfair to Nylander as 2x 1st team all-star and Selke candidate Marner is easily a tier above for the regular season), lets check out the numbers:

5v5:

Shot differential:

Goal differential:
Marner: 65.98 (+23.46) - this leads all NHL forwards who have played at least 400 minutes

5v5, its a complete mismatch. Marner destroys Nylander in every category and ranks as one of the better wingers in the NHL in the playoffs 5v5 the last 3 seasons.

Seeing as Marner is a great Pker who logs solid minutes on the PK, does Nylander have the production numbers to even stand a chance?

Both players are PPG with Nylander being the better goal scorer but is that really enough to justify taking him over Marner? While Marner's production dipped from his regular season numbers, his defensive numbers made up for that in the overall picture. Nylander has scored some big goals but his passiveness and lack of defensive awareness has cost the team too. If he wants to get the big bucks, he needs a better 2 way game. Before anyone blames Tavares, here are the splits the last 3 years in the playoffs:

If almost 60 minutes playing with Matthews 5v5, they havnt been on the ice for a goal scored. Thats awful when you are not a good defensive player.

Both players have been valuable but Marner is the stronger asset when taking cap hit into the equation, even at their current numbers.

I'ts not stretch to say that Nylander's rep as a playoff guy is a tad overrated and Marner gets a bad rap.

If Nylander asks for a penny more than 8 mil, a trade would be the smart option IMO. Marner is good at practically everything and Nylander is a sub standard defensive player who doesn't PK. A great scoring winger. He should be paid like one.
I'm really skeptical about your stats. "In almost 60 minutes playing with Matthews 5v5, they haven't been on the ice for a goal scored"?

On April 20, Nylander scored 5v5 with Matthews assisting. On April 24, Matthews scored 5v5 with Nylander assisting. At least according to NHL.com.

And that's just the first two games I checked.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

5v5:

Shot differential:

Goal differential:

Why does it have to be a choice between them? The primary reason (balancing cap) gets taken care of with Tavares contract ending

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad