Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
In terms of Reinhart versus Nylander and game breaking

Their last 3 years looks like thiss;

Reinhart: 199GP 199PTS

Nylander: 200GP 221PTS

So 22 pts difference...for the 2.5-3M in difference, I would sleep okay at night if it was Reinhart.
Reinhart will be a UFA this summer.

If his production is comparable to Nylander's, why do you think he will only want 8-9M to sign here?

People keeps trying to justify JT's contract by explaining that you have to pay a premium for a UFA, so wouldn't Reinhart want more?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
This is probably not the thread to post his in, but since life seems hard, Nylander seems to be signing a contract most of us don't understand, here is a clip to make most of us smile.

Disclaimer. I did not edit this clip. They were way more important goals scored in Leafs history. I just stumbled across this and thought I would share

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Tavares seems to produce whether it's Nylander or Marner there, in fact the 2 seasons prior to this, JT-88 didn't really looked that good at all, Bertuzzi seems like he's made the mix work.

Lindholm is a right handed centre but offensively not as good this year.

In terms of Reinhart versus Nylander and game breaking

Their last 3 years looks like thiss;

Reinhart: 199GP 199PTS

Nylander: 200GP 221PTS

So 22 pts difference...for the 2.5-3M in difference, I would sleep okay at night if it was Reinhart.

You don't think you can find 2 UFA's to put together 82 pts combined? This is career year Nylander but prior to this he hasn't really been pt/game.

Reinhart and Florida haven't talked contract, I want to say it was Friedman that put that out there but don't want to say that for sure.

So if you signed either one of them, Lindholm gets you 60 pts minimum, and Reinhart is gonna be good for 70-80...

I would say I am sure we can make good use of 2.5-3M to add on top something useful but Treliving runs this team so I can't say that confidently.
I forgot your a stat cherry piccer so first off your going too far bacc for one nylander out produced reinhart while he was on a second line this year tavares has not produced no matter which ones with him that’s why willys with him now look at his points with and without him you’ll see the difference and marners a better player than those two you can’t replace willys impact with either of those two

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It most likely is an overpay.

The other side of the coin is Nylander just chose to stay with the Leafs for 8 years. He and Morgs are the only ones to sign full term.

Argue if you must that the only reason he did was for the extra money, but he still chose to play herr for his career.

The Leafs havn't had a lot of career players in the past 40 years

It's to much, but I'd rather have the elite talent for another 8 years than let Tre loose with 11M in free agency

Rielly is a beauty...guys were making 8-9.5M and Rielly took 7.5M x 8 and there was no media bs and speculation.

I suspect Marner is going to be willing to sign for 8 years on his next deal, I just think the aav is going to suck.

It's going to hurt but at least Tavares will be getting a cut and the cap is going up at a decent clip again

#Leafspositives

Reactions: Jojalu and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Rielly is a beauty...guys were making 8-9.5M and Rielly took 7.5M x 8 and there was no media bs and speculation.

I suspect Marner is going to be willing to sign for 8 years on his next deal, I just think the aav is going to suck.
Let’s be real he saved us a hassle and maybe 500k - 1 mil but still much appreciated shoulda been captain still is the captain in my eyes

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
11.5M x 8 for Nylander or would you try to see how Elias Lindholm or Sam Reinhart look like on your roster next year at 7 years 8.5...9M at most?

2.5-3M in extra cap space and 1 less year of commitment.

Also kinda sends a shot to the roster.

Realistically 92M x 8 if it's a 7 year deal is 13.14M x7...I don't think anyone is offering 90 or 92M to Nylander on July 1st...it truly feels like we just bid against ourselves.

I think you may be underestimating what those other guys will cost. Lindholm has apparently already turned down 9x8 from the Flames.

Reactions: Kiwi and arso40

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
You don't think you can find 2 UFA's to put together 82 pts combined? This is career year Nylander but prior to this he hasn't really been pt/game.

Reinhart and Florida haven't talked contract, I want to say it was Friedman that put that out there but don't want to say that for sure.

So if you signed either one of them, Lindholm gets you 60 pts minimum, and Reinhart is gonna be good for 70-80...

I would say I am sure we can make good use of 2.5-3M to add on top something useful but Treliving runs this team so I can't say that confidently.

Not a ton of PPG players in the league playing 16-18 minutes a game. When you have a first line with Matthews and Marner on it Nylander isn't going to see the ice as much. He put up 87 points last year averaging 18.32 minutes a game. Now that he looks like a top 5 winger his ice time is at an all time high at 20.15 minutes. Shooting percentage is roughly the same so I think Willy is good for at least 35 every year. Who knows what happened after he signs, but I think Nylander will be flirting with 100 points going forward. The work ethic and consistency is matching up with the elite skills we've all seen.

Reactions: arso40

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Let's assume he gets 11.5 x 7 on the open market.

Do you think Nylander will then get 11.5 in that eighth year as a 35-year-old? He would actually need more because of the lost accumulated interest on his money since the Leafs often go upfront with their payments.
Why don’t we say he’s worth 5M for his age 36 season. That leaves 87M/7=12.43M/Year over 7 years which I fully believe many teams would offer him if he finishes the year how it’s going. He’s a much more dynamic player than Tavares was at the same age and would actually be less cap% than Tavares got from us at the time.

But I agree with you, we have a disgusting amount of things other teams just can’t offer or are simply better. At the end of the day our 3 stars will be overpaid by the difference of having a Bertuzzi on the team. We can win it in spite of such a hindrance, it’s a matter of desire.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Now that Nylander is signed the Leafs should be trading him for the best return possible.

Rule #1 in asset management is diversify, diversify, diversify. Rule #2 is to buy low and sell high. I don't mean after smoking a bong either.

Too bad Shanahan missed Economics 101.

The stupid rich season ticket holders don't care though. As long as the Leafs win more regular season games than they lose is all that matters to them. This way they feel like they get their money's worth.

If the Leafs lose in the playoffs no big deal.

It's just a random tournament of piddly sample sizes. The important thing is that Nylander's on the team for another eight years. The four forward experiment continues at ever greater cost than before.

Another master class in asset management, Toronto Maple Leafs style.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Not a ton of PPG players in the league playing 16-18 minutes a game. When you have a first line with Matthews and Marner on it Nylander isn't going to see the ice as much. He put up 87 points last year averaging 18.32 minutes a game. Now that he looks like a top 5 winger his ice time is at an all time high at 20.15 minutes. Shooting percentage is roughly the same so I think Willy is good for at least 35 every year. Who knows what happened after he signs, but I think Nylander will be flirting with 100 points going forward. The work ethic and consistency is matching up with the elite skills we've all seen.The

The extra mins are most likely some penalty kill mins and he's being trusted to close a game out when leading which he never was before . Not to mention the leafs in general have played more mins than the average team with all the overtimes they've played .

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tre making Dubas look like an expert negotiator. He'll get the hat trick in a year when marner rinses him.
Yup, this far Tre’s been a hard fail, only positives have been signing Jones and Benoit. If this deal goes down you can kiss any hope of playoff success going forward. Every player will want a overpayment, and signing scrubs to fill the gaps has been proven to not work. It’s a lost cause boys, once JT comes off the books they’ll never be able to replace him and that’s a huge problem, JT is also overpaid, but his contributions are mostly ignored here. Losing him will be a giant hole……..

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
11.5 for Willie is fine if they move Marner for a D man and few young ELC players. But how in the heck do they do that?

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafsStorm

Oct 22, 2011
Now that Nylander is signed the Leafs should be trading him for the best return possible.

Rule #1 in asset management is diversify, diversify, diversify. Rule #2 is to buy low and sell high. I don't mean after smoking a bong either.

Too bad Shanahan missed Economics 101.

The stupid rich season ticket holders don't care though. As long as the Leafs win more regular season games than they lose is all that matters to them. This way they feel like they get their money's worth.

If the Leafs lose in the playoffs no big deal.

It's just a random tournament of piddly sample sizes. The important thing is that Nylander's on the team for another eight years. The four forward experiment continues at ever greater cost than before.

Another master class in asset management, Toronto Maple Leafs style.
Did I miss something about him being signed lol

Reactions: ACC1224

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I think you may be underestimating what those other guys will cost. Lindholm has apparently already turned down 9x8 from the Flames.
It’s the Flames though

Yup, this far Tre’s been a hard fail, only positives have been signing Jones and Benoit. If this deal goes down you can kiss any hope of playoff success going forward. Every player will want a overpayment, and signing scrubs to fill the gaps has been proven to not work. It’s a lost cause boys, once JT comes off the books they’ll never be able to replace him and that’s a huge problem, JT is also overpaid, but his contributions are mostly ignored here. Losing him will be a giant hole……..
I guess the only difference is there is a bigger body of work at least with these negotiations. The deal is nuts if true, but I have taken the stance of who cares at this point, I can take up yoga instead

Reactions: rumman

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
According to Friedman it's a done deal and will be announced before Tuesday's game.

8x$11.5M
So gross, and again it’s comical how this board has talked themselves into a number than was seen as absurd a couple months ago. Ya sure it will work, but this is not good for the team as a whole, and that’s the bottomline. Your chances of a cup just went down again with another top dollar greed deal. Can’t wait to see the signing bonus too.

IMG_1591.gif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did I miss something about him being signed lol
I've wondered the same. Been a bit out of touch over the holidays but I think his signing would have been bigger news.

I do look forward to his actual signing so people can move on about complaining about his imaginary earnings to complaining about his real earnings.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
So gross, and again it’s comical how this board has talked themselves into a number than was seen as absurd a couple months ago. Ya sure it will work, but this is not good for the team as a whole, and that’s the bottomline. Your chances of a cup just went down again with another top dollar greed deal. Can’t wait to see the signing bonus too.

View attachment 798708
Yeah, this is insane. But to Willys defence, I don’t blame him one bit. He’s looking at a corpse of Tavares making $11 mil, Marner making $11 mil for the past 5 years, who will certainly ask for more (which I hope to god they don’t give him). None of these guys care about the team as a whole

Reactions: arso40

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

View attachment 798708
It's comical how Shanny and Tre have talked themselves into a number than was seen as absurd a couple months ago. Shanny is either plain dumb or does not care about winning.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
It’s the Flames though

I guess the only difference is there is a bigger body of work at least with these negotiations. The deal is nuts if true, but I have taken the stance of who cares at this point, I can take up CHAIR yoga instead
fixed it for ya lol

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

View attachment 798708

You clipped the video too early.

The very next shot showing the guy in white punching himself in the nuts is way more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad