Nylander contract discussion - New Poll

What is your limit for a "Cap %" for Nylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
AAV matters to me more than cap percentage because not all contracts will share the same amount of term. That aside, I'd still deem Nylander's apparent 11.5 x 8 to be (somewhat) more "team-friendly" than Marner's contract and both of the deals signed by Matthews. The unfortunate part associated with that is trying to find/justify the better contracts on a team by comparing them with other contracts on the same team.
I am always confused why we try to compare contracts that were signed this year to any contract signed previous. I agree there has to be a baseline, but the whole power of th Player's Union is that salaries will always increase.

Therefore you need to have something to measure against.

An 8 million dollar contract in a 64 million cap is way less than a 10 million dollar contract in a 85 million cap.

So the dollar amount becomes meaningless.

Oct 18, 2010
No, it’s completely inaccurate. Check the salary cap percentage at signing. AAV is not how these things are compared

:laugh: he's also making less than McDavid percentage wise. Never mind that Nylander couldn't lace either of their skates. But hey who wants to win

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sorry Gary.

I have tried to answer you in a DM a bunch of times but it won't go through for some reason.
No worries, at then end of the day, there are literally millions of things more important than a professional hockey team, regardless of how deep ingrained a habit it is.

Reactions: Jojalu

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
No, that’s assuming he gets paid zero in year 8.

Let's assume he gets 11.5 x 7 on the open market.

Do you think Nylander will then get 11.5 in that eighth year as a 35-year-old? He would actually need more because of the lost accumulated interest on his money since the Leafs often go upfront with their payments.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I am always confused why we try to compare contracts that were signed this year to any contract signed previous. I agree there has to be a baseline, but the whole power of th Player's Union is that salaries will always increase.

Therefore you need to have something to measure against.

An 8 million dollar contract in a 64 million cap is way less than a 10 million dollar contract in a 85 million cap.

So the dollar amount becomes meaningless.
Is Nylander signing for 11.5M a good thing or a bad thing for the players union? I’d bet 90% of the players want him to take less.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I would probably agree because it seperates the classes even further. You either get paid an insane amount or you start taking league min

Very few middle contracts left
It is wild to think he’s about to sign a contract that makes the fans, his management and his peers uncomfortable. He has a good negotiating team.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I would probably agree because it seperates the classes even further. You either get paid an insane amount or you start taking league min

Very few middle contracts left
Yet 79% voted YES when they ratified in 2020. Not the sharpest pencils in the box.

Reactions: Jojalu

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yet 79% voted YES when they ratified in 2020. Not the sharpest pencils in the box.
What’s the solution though? No matter what the cap is you’re always going to have greedy players. I’m surprised both sides haven’t agreed to lower the individual cap ceiling. If the cap ceiling for a player was 12% I think that would benefit the majority of players and I don’t think any owners would push back.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We better win it all this year because when the new deals kickin next year we are going to have an even higher percentage of the cap going to the 4 amigo’s that havnt been able to get it done for the last 7 years

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
No worries, at then end of the day, there are literally millions of things more important than a professional hockey team, regardless of how deep ingrained a habit it is.
I think this very simple statement should be repeated in every thread on this forum. It's just entertainment. No one should take it anymore seriously than that.

It is wild to think he’s about to sign a contract that makes the fans, his management and his peers uncomfortable. He has a good negotiating team.
Labour unions are no different than any other organization. The most powerful people in the union dictate the outcomes.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
This thread makes me laugh every time i read a bit of it.. its so f***ed

I hope 6 rookies bust through next year and are standouts

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
But would other teams throw 13.14 x 7 at Nylander?

That's how much he needs to reach 92M on the open market.
Exactly

I can see a team offering 11.5x7. That’s 80.5

on 8 years that’s 10.0625, just say 10 million

I don’t see how we can offer the extra year and still pay more

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
11.5M x 8 for Nylander or would you try to see how Elias Lindholm or Sam Reinhart look like on your roster next year at 7 years 8.5...9M at most?

2.5-3M in extra cap space and 1 less year of commitment.

Also kinda sends a shot to the roster.

Realistically 92M x 8 if it's a 7 year deal is 13.14M x7...I don't think anyone is offering 90 or 92M to Nylander on July 1st...it truly feels like we just bid against ourselves.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
11.5M x 8 for Nylander or would you try to see how Elias Lindholm or Sam Reinhart look like on your roster next year at 7 years 8.5...9M at most?

Realistically 92M x 8 if it's a 7 year deal is 13.14M x7...I don't think anyone is offering 90 or 92M to Nylander on July 1st...it truly feels like we just bid against ourselves.
He’s better than both players and is the only game breaker among the three marners not even capable of making jt look good you think lindholm will?? Reinhart??? Stop it if anyone should be traded and I don’t want to trade either of them but it would and should be marner

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Reinhart hasn't even left Florida, so let's pump the brakes until he actually leaves and Lindholm isn't even in the same zip code of Nylander or Reinhart

If Nylander walks we aren't filling his hole like that, it's going to be a couple of UFA's making 5-6M and at that point I'd rather just keep Nylander quite honestly

Reactions: arso40

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He’s better than both players and is the only game breaker among the three marners not even capable of making jt look good you think lindholm will?? Reinhart??? Stop it if anyone should be traded and I don’t want to trade either of them but it would and should be marner

Tavares seems to produce whether it's Nylander or Marner there, in fact the 2 seasons prior to this, JT-88 didn't really looked that good at all, Bertuzzi seems like he's made the mix work.

Lindholm is a right handed centre but offensively not as good this year.

In terms of Reinhart versus Nylander and game breaking

Their last 3 years looks like thiss;

Reinhart: 199GP 199PTS

Nylander: 200GP 221PTS

So 22 pts difference...for the 2.5-3M in difference, I would sleep okay at night if it was Reinhart.

Reinhart hasn't even left Florida, so let's pump the brakes until he actually leaves and Lindholm isn't even in the same zip code of Nylander or Reinhart

If Nylander walks we aren't filling his hole like that, it's going to be a couple of UFA's making 5-6M and at that point I'd rather just keep Nylander quite honestly

You don't think you can find 2 UFA's to put together 82 pts combined? This is career year Nylander but prior to this he hasn't really been pt/game.

Reinhart and Florida haven't talked contract, I want to say it was Friedman that put that out there but don't want to say that for sure.

So if you signed either one of them, Lindholm gets you 60 pts minimum, and Reinhart is gonna be good for 70-80...

I would say I am sure we can make good use of 2.5-3M to add on top something useful but Treliving runs this team so I can't say that confidently.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

It most likely is an overpay.

The other side of the coin is Nylander just chose to stay with the Leafs for 8 years. He and Morgs are the only ones to sign full term.

Argue if you must that the only reason he did was for the extra money, but he still chose to play herr for his career.

The Leafs havn't had a lot of career players in the past 40 years

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It most likely is an overpay.

The other side of the coin is Nylander just chose to stay with the Leafs for 8 years. He and Morgs are the only ones to sign full term.

Argue if you must that the only reason he did was for the extra money, but he still chose to play herr for his career.

The Leafs havn't had a lot of career players in the past 40 years

Rielly is a beauty...guys were making 8-9.5M and Rielly took 7.5M x 8 and there was no media bs and speculation.

I suspect Marner is going to be willing to sign for 8 years on his next deal, I just think the aav is going to suck.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Do you think he will average more than that the next 8 years?
More important than his career average (0.83 ppg prior to this season) is his regular improvement from year to year.

Since signing his last contract, his ppg has gone from 0.50 (the season he missed training camp and a chunk of the season) to (in order by season) 0.87 0.82 0.99 1.06 1.46.

A marked improvement almost every year.

Average 71 points per 82 games? That's under 0.87 ppg. He has not only done better than that four of the last five years, but keeps doing better and better.

No reason to think his last 2+ seasons are an aberration.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
What’s the solution though? No matter what the cap is you’re always going to have greedy players. I’m surprised both sides haven’t agreed to lower the individual cap ceiling. If the cap ceiling for a player was 12% I think that would benefit the majority of players and I don’t think any owners would push back.
The difference might be found in no player currently earning the individual max (AAV). Conversely, some players do sit at or above that 12% threshold. Players capable of earning that 12% in the future may be inclined to sign shorter term deals in the interest of reaching that number more often/as often as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad