Nylander contract discussion - New Poll

What is your limit for a "Cap %" for Nylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Half a season of 120 point pace production and we give a 28 year old career 80-90 point player $11.5mx8. Next year Marner will go on a streak and MLSE will give him $13mx8. Just love this organization!
Has he ever scored 90 in his career? And over 80 only once or maybe twice right?

Doesn’t seem like a career 80-90 pt player based on that.

Anyways. Glad the leafs finally wrapped up the deal.

Reactions: arso40

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Has he ever scored 90 in his career? And over 80 only once or maybe twice right?

Doesn’t seem like a career 80-90 pt player based on that.

Anyways. Glad the leafs finally wrapped up the deal.
He averages 71 points per 82 for his career

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He’s 27 years old
He’s had 2 - 80 plus point seasons. 3 after this
He’s on pace for 125 Points this year
He’s scored 30 plus goals in 4 seasons
He’s scored 40 goals once
He’s on pace for 60 goals this year
He’s only played 7 full NHL seasons

He’s absolute stud player.

Do I think 11.5 is a lot? Yes. Do I think most players are overpaid? Yes. Would 31 other NHL teams be throwing more then 11.5 at him if he hit free agency? Yes

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Endorsement money is paid for extra work outside their job for the team they play for. There is a very clear distinction.

we are talking about markets , just like the market in Florida has tax advantages, the market in Toronto has the advantage of being able to avail endorsements which are not available in Florida to the degree they are in Toronto. Each market has their own competitive advantages.

He’s 27 years old

Do I think 11.5 is a lot? Yes. Do I think most players are overpaid? Yes. Would 31 other NHL teams be throwing more then 11.5 at him if he hit free agency? Yes

there is zero evidence to suggest that.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
we are talking about markets , just like the market in Florida has tax advantages, the market in Toronto has the advantage of being able to avail endorsements which are not available in Florida to the degree they are in Toronto. Each market has their own competitive advantages.

A top 5 nhl scorer is wanted by everyone and anyone

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

He’s 27 years old

Shaner, was your account hacked? This seems way too positive

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
He’s 27 years old

On pace for just under 50

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He’s 27 years old

But would other teams throw 13.14 x 7 at Nylander?

That's how much he needs to reach 92M on the open market.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
What really matters? Dollars or Cap percentage?

If Willy still signed for less of a cap hit than Matthews and Marner did years ago, who cares whatcthe dollar amount is.

Since the cap was created to always go up, salaries will always go up and cap % would be the only way to judge a contract.

Now if Lindholm, Petey and Reinhart all come way under a case can be made.

But Nylander's 11.5 (if that is what it is) at 87 million is the same or less than Pasta at 11.25 at 83 million.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
interesting take
i hve no idea who to believe lol

Frank Corrado
@frankcorrado22

If Nylander does sign in Toronto for 11.5M, he will still net less money than Matthew Tkachuk at 9.5M in Florida. According to the
@GavinHockeyWlth
tax calculator tool.
I'd trust Allan Walsh's breakdown over Frank Corrado. Walsh deals with this every day. Corrado never worked in a no tax state and most likely has 0 education past high school.

Also: an article from the Athletic on this topic.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Why is it always on Mitch to take a haircut? Just like last time he will not. Nobody on the team is serious about anything other than money, that's the culture. He will get paid whatever he wants just like everyone else, and the Leafs will continue to do nothing when it matters.
I think they can correct his contract on the next one because of all of them, he doesn’t want to leave, is the home town guy and the last contract up of the lot. I don’t think he’ll take a cut, just that he doesn’t get almost the same as AM again. If Willy is getting 11.5, 12 seems right for Marner. Just nothing 13+. Strikes me as plausible, he’s not leaving.

JT will be interesting too, also not leaving.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I'd trust Allan Walsh's breakdown over Frank Corrado. Walsh deals with this every day. Corrado never worked in a no tax state and most likely has 0 education past high school.

Also: an article from the Athletic on this topic.

The tax arguments that begin and end with state/province/federal tax rates of various districts are a game of checkers. Agents and top end accountants play 3D chess with it.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
What really matters? Dollars or Cap percentage?

If Willy still signed for less of a cap hit than Matthews and Marner did years ago, who cares whatcthe dollar amount is.

Since the cap was created to always go up, salaries will always go up and cap % would be the only way to judge a contract.

Now if Lindholm, Petey and Reinhart all come way under a case can be made.

But Nylander's 11.5 (if that is what it is) at 87 million is the same or less than Pasta at 11.25 at 83 million.
AAV matters to me more than cap percentage because not all contracts will share the same amount of term. That aside, I'd still deem Nylander's apparent 11.5 x 8 to be (somewhat) more "team-friendly" than Marner's contract and both of the deals signed by Matthews. The unfortunate part associated with that is trying to find/justify the better contracts on a team by comparing them with other contracts on the same team.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
How can anyone involved not just go 11x8 though right, for #88? Can we get Sid involved in the negotiations please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad