Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So your going to sell a player to take less by telling him he isn't as valuable on our team as compared to him being on another team ?

Yeah that'll going over well .
That is a fact and it is undeniable.

Dubas just needs to hold firm. If someone like Eichel was now negotiating a contract with us it would be a lot less per year as he would slot in as our 3 center and our 3/4 most important. Teams have a salary structure within their teams and you slot players in accordingly.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nylander is reported to be returning from Sweden and I would think Dubas will meet with him and his agent, to try and hammer out a deal?
If they can't come to terms, either a bridge deal, or possibly a trade could happen.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Nylander is reported to be returning from Sweden and I would think Dubas will meet with him and his agent, to try and hammer out a deal?
If they can't come to terms, either a bridge deal, or possibly a trade could happen.
source?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Don’t forget Eichel either. He’s a good player but he did nothing to deserve 10M.

No wonder those franchises are still in the basement.

Patience wins. This team is good to win even without Nylander. I don’t think it will come to a point where he is missing games but even if he does, he will lose a lot for it and blame his agent at the end of the day.
He was paid as their best player. Here he would not get as much as he slots in around 3/4. For me i put him behind Marner. He would be our 3rd center. Context is always a consideration.

Look at some of the contracts league wide some are over paid and lots are under paid. It is a matter of a teams salary structure. When Jay Bo signed in St Louis it was thought to be low but he was coming from a team he was a #1 D man and going to a team that he was a 2/3 D man.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We are not trading Nylander nor do I believe he will request a trade. He will sign but it may take a while longer or he may just sign the deal that is on the table perhaps will a slight bump on average per year.

Maybe the terms can be changed like bonus money for next year when it appears that there will be a work stoppable so that he gets paid when others do not. That adds to his over all average. Say a work stoppage last half a season. Will say gets a bonus of 6 million and salary of 1m he would only lose 500000 and not 3.5m add that to his 8 year average and he is getting paid a more then his comparable players who do not have bonus money in their contracts.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Yeah I’m interested to see the source of who’s suggesting Nylander is flying back because last I heard was this tweet a couple days back and it was BS :

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sorry, are you coming from Willy's perspective here, or a team/fan perspective?

I think we might be saying the same things, just approaching it from different sides of the situation.
I'm looking at it from Willie's perspective .

From the teams perspective that'd be a great deal to get him to sign for an extra 2/3 yrs at a similar cap hit as his comparables signed for shorter terms .

Reactions: Kiwi and IBeL34f

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That is a fact and it is undeniable.

Dubas just needs to hold firm. If someone like Eichel was now negotiating a contract with us it would be a lot less per year as he would slot in as our 3 center and our 3/4 most important. Teams have a salary structure within their teams and you slot players in accordingly.
If this was Eichel he'd tell Dubie to go f*** himself and either pay him or trade him .

And if Dubie told Willie this I'm sure he'd ask for a trade as well .

The problem is you're still living in the 60's where players were treated like mindless sheep .

Reactions: Menzinger and weems

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

From the teams perspective that'd be a great deal to get him to sign for an extra 2/3 yrs at a similar cap hit as his comparables signed for shorter terms .
Gotcha - I can't say for sure, but I think the OP was looking at it from the team's perspective, which is why they said it would be a steal.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Understood. Players should absolutely get all of what the market says they're worth. That said, playing the sympathy card like Walshy did really doesn't work for most fans. And thankfully you'll never see a player actually do it, at least publicly.
It shouldn't work. These guys retire with an absurd amount of money.

Look I wouldn't give a f*** if they gave him 100 million a year if there was no cap but there is a cap.. so hoping that he gets more than fair market value is absolutely insane from a fans standpoint.

Gyah. Just sign a fair deal Willie and let's play some HOCKEY!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Yeah I’m interested to see the source of who’s suggesting Nylander is flying back because last I heard was this tweet a couple days back and it was BS :

This isn't the source I quoted from, I don't even know who this is but it was a similar message and possibly just a retweet of this tweet, so just have to disregard it, since I can't find the source I quoted, (they may have retracted it)?

Reactions: glue

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Yeah

We've got some leverage but I doubt we've got enough to bend Nylander over like that

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
If what’s is true and a big IF
Nylander asking 8x8 or 64 million
We supposedly offering 8x6.25 or 50 million

William hasn’t proven he is better than Pasternak or ehlers
At this point. Can he be, sure but maybe he will just be a 60 point forward

How is nylander getting bent over by being offered 50 million
For basically two 61 point seasons.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
And many of them will make more money in one of those years than most people make in their entire lives.

No sympathy here.

That’s fine be bitter that people are better than you at something. I don’t think athletes should make the money they make, but they do so being mad that athletes of your favourite team aren’t willing to take less money than they are worth seems kind of pointless no? Anyway each to their own

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Nylander's Age: 22 years old.
Nylander's production during his contract year: Games Played: 82 Goals: 20 Assists: 41 Points: 61 Point Per Game: 0.74 TOI: 16:41

The contract comparables discussed so far have been Ehlers, Pastrnak and Drouin so here is some information about them.

Ehlers, Pastrnak, or Drouin contract if signed in 2018:

Ehlers - 7 years x $6.360,000 (8.00%)
Pastrnak - 6 years x $7,075,550 (8.89%)
Drouin - 6 years x $5,986,350 (7.53%)

Ehlers, Pastrnak, or Drouin age when contract signed:
Ehlers - 21 years old
Pastrnak - 21 years old
Drouin - 22 years old

Ehlers, Pastrnak, or Drouin point production in contract years:
Ehlers - Games Played: 82 Goals: 25 Assists: 39 Points: 64 Point Per Game: 0.78 TOI: 17:29
Pastrnak - Games Played: 75 Goals: 34 Assists: 36 Points: 70 Point Per Game: 0.93 TOI: 17:59
Drouin - Games Played: 73 Goals: 21 Assists: 32 Points: 53 Point Per Game: 0.72 TOI: 17:42

(If any of this information is incorrect, please feel free to correct me.)

1) The Toronto Maple Leafs should be negotiating a 6 year contract with William Nylander in order to keep the cap hit low. To add on, 2/3 of Nyalnder's comparables have signed a 6 year contract extension.

2) The least comparable player from this list for William Nylander is Drouin. In terms of production, Nylander and Drouin have been similar in their contract years. However, Nylander is younger, played 1 minute less per game and outperformed him this past season.

3) The player most comparable from this list for Willian Nylander is Ehlers. They both held similar production during their contract seasons. However, Nylander played 40 seconds less per game than Ehlers, thus leading to less production. To add on, Nylander has outperformed Ehlers production this season. With this in mind, Nylander is equal or greater than Ehlers.

4) Pastrnak is a decent comparable for Nylander. Nylander could have hit 70 points with 1:18 minutes more per game. To add on, Pastrnak played with better players.

5) I do not see Nylander taking below 6,360,000 over a 6 year contract since it would be a less cap percentage than Ehlers.

Conclusion:
6 years x $6,850,000 (8.61%)​

Last edited:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'd bet you that none of the Leafs players are thinking about this.. you don't worry about a teammates business. As much as this is a game, its a business too.

And there is zero loyalty in sports from the teams side.. they'd trade your ass in a heartbeat. Get what you can so you don't end up screwed.
Matthews is probably thinking 'Gee willickers , it would be nice to play with my linemate in pre season.'

But who the hell really knows.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Tell him hes got 48 hours to sign before hes shipped to carolina or arizona or somewhere disgusting to play. This is getting to be too much from this guy, hes got no loyalty to us, I bet hes begging for a 5 year so he can walk away at ufa.

He might very well be the stupidest NHL player in recent memory to want to walk away from the Leafs considering the team is entering a new era of being a relevant contender.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He might very well be the stupidest NHL player in recent memory to want to walk away from the Leafs considering the team is entering a new era of being a relevant contender.
not if his dad thinks hes worth 8 mill lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad