Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
oh you want compatibles???

both guys deals start this coming season

ehlers///// 69 goals,, 162 points

me willi/// 48 goals,, 135 points.

so who is worth more going into this season?

He signed the deal before his recent 60 point season so that wouldn’t be included in the “compatibles” you’re talking about

Reactions: kb

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Your post makes no sense. Ehlers signed his contract after 2 full seasons. A 38 point season and 64 point season.

Nylander is signing his contract after 2 full seasons putting up 61 points in each. Add on top 13 points in his short 22 game stint next to Colin Greening and your post is looking dumber and dumber

Actually your logic does not make sense. Ehlers does not get penalized because he played a full season and Nylander did not. If anything he gets rewarded. Signing early is a different thing, but let's not pretend that Ehlers' agent did not negotiate with a certain level of quality for his contract year in mind (he probably negotiated on the basis of Ehlers repeating 60, which he ended up doing). They always do (or at least they should be doing that... It would be stupid to leave a significant amount of money on the table unnecessarily). Maybe you get a slight inflation for actually hitting that number, but we are not talking about more than a couple hunded thousand per year at most. Otherwise no RFA in their right minds would sign early unless the team is already giving them a sweetheart deal a year prior.

Nylander should get a bit extra for hitting his target. However he should not be given a whole lot more because he did not really exceed his expectations or production from the year prior. It's not like he put up 30 goals or went a PPG or anything. He did what he had already proven what he could have done, and that really does not give him a significant amount of leverage compared to Ehlers.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He signed the deal before his recent 60 point season so that wouldn’t be included in the “compatibles” you’re talking about

why?

you honestly don't think teams mock up player projections and cap raises during these talks?

for all you know they projected ehlers to be what he turned into a 30/30 player at this new league cap number and the peg has him value slotted exactly where he should be.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
why?

you honestly don't think teams mock up player projections and cap raises during these talks?

for all you know they projected ehlers to be what he turned into a 30/30 player at this new league cap number and the peg has him value slotted exactly where he should be.

Right... so why can’t toronto do the same with Nylander? :laugh: you said Nylander has not “earned a penny over Ehlers”. What does that matter if we’re including player projections and cap raises?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Actually your logic does not make sense. Ehlers does not get penalized because he played a full season and Nylander did not. If anything he gets rewarded. Signing early is a different thing, but let's not pretend that Ehlers' agent did not negotiate with a certain level of quality for his contract year in mind (he probably negotiated on the basis of Ehlers repeating 60, which he ended up doing). They always do (or at least they should be doing that... It would be stupid to leave a significant amount of money on the table unnecessarily). Maybe you get a slight inflation for actually hitting that number, but we are not talking about more than a couple hunded thousand per year at most. Otherwise no RFA in their right minds would sign early unless the team is already giving them a sweetheart deal a year prior.

Nylander should get a bit extra for hitting his target. However he should not be given a whole lot more because he did not really exceed his expectations or production from the year prior. It's not like he put up 30 goals or went a PPG or anything. He did what he had already proven what he could have done, and that really does not give him a significant amount of leverage compared to Ehlers.

???

Ehlers played 72 games and 82 games before signing his contract. Nylander played 22, 82 and 81 before his contract

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What were Dubas' comments in today's presser?
just the normal usual stuff

the contract has to be fair to the player fair to the club, working at it everyday, lot of it happening around the league right now, working towards getting it done

empty platitudes for the most part like any interview

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Right... so why can’t toronto do the same with Nylander? :laugh: you said Nylander has not “earned a penny over Ehlers”. What does that matter if we’re including player projections and cap raises?

i don't project me willi to be anything more then ehlers will be over the same span of cap raises.

i would be THRILLED if me willi would catch up to ehlers and become a 30/30 guy.

goal scorers tend to always get paid more and that would be ehlers 25/29,,,me willi 22/20

also, notice that "trend "direction?

so ya, i am already giving me willi some bonus just to be paid = to ehlers. since ehlers is proven to be the better goal scorer

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
???

Ehlers played 72 games and 82 games before signing his contract. Nylander played 22, 82 and 81 before his contract

Read what I wrote.

Ehlers does not get penalized because he played a full season and Nylander did not. If anything he gets rewarded. Signing early is a different thing, but let's not pretend that Ehlers' agent did not negotiate with a certain level of quality for his contract year in mind (he probably negotiated on the basis of Ehlers repeating 60, which he ended up doing). They always do (or at least they should be doing that... It would be stupid to leave a significant amount of money on the table unnecessarily). Maybe you get a slight inflation for actually hitting that number, but we are not talking about more than a couple hunded thousand per year at most. Otherwise no RFA in their right minds would sign early unless the team is already giving them a sweetheart deal a year prior.

That season he played 72 games, Nylander played 22. If Ehlers was ever going to sign early, he was going to do so with some level of quality expected for his contract year (i.e. another 82 game season with 60+ points and let's say 25+ goals). Now if Winnipeg did not like what he was putting down, and would rather see him prove it before giving into his demands (even if it costs them a bit more in the end), then that's another thing. But your logic is dictating that Ehlers did not factor in some standard of projected production in his contract year when he decided to sign early, and I am saying there is a flaw as a result. Otherwise, what reason does Ehlers have for signing early? Why would he leave so much money on the table?

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I don't understand why some people wan to trade Willie. We finally draft super talented players, something we complained about for years now we want to trade one of them before he even hits his peak over a normal contract negotiation. Some fans are unbelievable.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't understand why some people wan to trade Willie. We finally draft super talented players, something we complained about for years now we want to trade one of them before he even hits his peak over a normal contract negotiation. Some fans are unbelievable.

being late for camp is "normal"?????

not being on the training camp roster,,with the kind of season heading our way "is normal"??

ohhhhhhh kkkkkkkkkkk:eek:

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
The ones that want to trade him are impatient or just don't like him for whatever reason.

I'm like a lot of Leafs fans and like what Nylander brings. I don't give a rat's butt about contract negotiations and other behind the scenes crap. He will be signed eventually and he will play. That's all I need to know.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
???

Ehlers/Nylander are from the same draft. During Ehlers 72 game season, Nylander was still in the AHL. I don't think Ehlers gets penalized in contract discussions for getting to the NHL earlier than Nylander did. If Nylander were in the NHL that same year, he wouldn't have put up 60+ points.

In 2016-2017, both in their draft years +3, Ehlers put up 64 points and Nylander put up 61 points. Ehlers signed after that season long-term. Up to this point, they are very very comparable players. Drafted one slot apart, both smallish skilled wingers, virtually identical draft year +3 seasons, neither were the top scorer on their lines (Ehlers played with Scheifele, Nylander with Matthews), and even their draft years +2 were pretty comparable despite mostly playing at different levels (Ehlers had 38 points in 72 NHL games, Nylander was slightly better than PPG in the AHL and then put up 13 points in 22 NHL games).

Nylander since then has put up a second 61 point season. I don't think that means he deserves substantially more than Ehlers. On the one hand, you could argue it means he's more proven when he signs because he put up two 60+ point seasons. On the otherhand, he also didn't show any improvement over the previous season. You can argue that because Ehlers signed at a younger age, more of his caphit would have been allocated to "potential", and that Nylander not taking a step forward (in the same way Marner/Matthews did) is an argument against spending extra on "potential".

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
2hv6p4.jpg

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The ones that want to trade him are impatient or just don't like him for whatever reason.

I'm like a lot of Leafs fans and like what Nylander brings. I don't give a rat's butt about contract negotiations and other behind the scenes crap. He will be signed eventually and he will play. That's all I need to know.

or just

would rather see our D strengthened and not deal with a kid that would rather be late for this training camp,, with all that is rolling good right now

i have 0 ,,,,absolutely 0 time for a me willi type hassle.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I think he is just getting the leafs ownership back, because of the way Romanuck butchered his name, and also kept calling him Michael... jk I hope he signs soon and both sides are happy he is a heck of a talent.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Read what I wrote.

That season he played 72 games, Nylander played 22. If Ehlers was ever going to sign early, he was going to do so with some level of quality expected for his contract year (i.e. another 82 game season with 60+ points and let's say 25+ goals). Now if Winnipeg did not like what he was putting down, and would rather see him prove it before giving into his demands (even if it costs them a bit more in the end), then that's another thing. But your logic is dictating that Ehlers did not factor in some standard of projected production in his contract year when he decided to sign early, and I am saying there is a flaw as a result. Otherwise, what reason does Ehlers have for signing early? Why would he leave so much money on the table?

No body is penalizing Ehlers. I was responding to someone who said Nylander doesn’t deserve a penny over Ehlers which makes no sense

Mar 26, 2010
Come on, you don’t want to trade Willy for a third pairing overrated injury prone D man.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
or just

would rather see our D strengthened and not deal with a kid that would rather be late for this training camp,, with all that is rolling good right now

i have 0 ,,,,absolutely 0 time for a me willi type hassle.
Did you like him as an on ice asset last season?

Just curious. Because the contract negotiations are just the business side of the game. Teams take a stand once in a while as well. Doesn't mean we as fans have to pick sides. Just enjoy the on-ice product.

I see this more as his agent pushing for max + but trying some negotiation tactics like waiting until the 11th hour. Doesn't mean Nylander is greedy. Heck, we don't even know what they're sticking on. Could be term, could be money, could be nmc or limited nmc. I don't see it as fair to Nylander or Dubas to judge them on what we literraly don't know about their negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad