Nylander Chronicles Part XXIV: Homer's Odyssey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
For sure. I am really hoping this is just Dubas trying to circumvent the cap a bit to pay Willy closer to what he wants and be at a reasonable cap hit. If this is Willy just overvaluing himself then I will definitely be a lot more angry

While I don't think it's William directly overvaluing himself, you also have to look at one thing that is known. Willy's dad was a greedy prick when he played, and his agent is a greedy prick. There's no doubt they're exerting a lot of influence. If he wants Pastrnak money, then he's looking at around $7m per season. Which, IMO, he's not as good as Pasta, so he doesn't deserve that. 6.5x6 or 6.75x6 is a fair offer. But if he's hoping for something like 7.5x8, lol, 61 points is not going to put you up in that price range.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's disappointing we aren't seeing Nylander take a friendlier approach to the Leafs in negotiations. This sort of hard line stance from a youngster isn't that common.
If WN is taking s hard line stance I actually admire him

Mar 26, 2010
Dubas looks like a fool now. “Can and will sign*.

Tavares contract is going to hurt the leafs big time.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
Difference is you are free to find another job any time. Willie is not.

He's free to go flip burgers. He's free to go to the KHL. What he is not free to do is play in the NHL without the Leafs' approval.

The current negotiation is about far more than just Nylander. It will set the tone for all future RFA negotiations both within the Leafs and perhaps have serious influence throughout the league.

If the Leafs are low-balling, then a sign and trade makes the most sense (sign at a value that another team is willing to pay and trade assets for).

If Nylander is being greedy and asking for too much then let him sit the year out. Next year two more RFA contracts need to be negotiated. Nylander will not be the priority next year. His leverage is not very high this year, and will be even less next year.

Reactions: Slot

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Teams will think they have Dubie over a barrel on November 30th. Dubie needs to show them they do not.

Go full Kaizer Sose and don't even blink as you turn down the best offer.

C'mon Dubie ..smile and say "let's talk again at the draft".

Yup! Do unto others ......

If willy wants to hold out and screw the team

well congratulations willy two can play that game

we won't trade you and we won't sign you. Sit at home for an entire year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's possible one of these teams that are after William believe him to be a Franchise 1C. When we first drafted him I figured he could possibly be that but because the way our fortunes ran, he would never even really get a sniff at C. I know a lot of people think he sucks at C because he is lazy or whatever but I think those people are very wrong. I think Babcock is very wrong about that as well. I believe Nylander is a natural C and has always been that.

If the compensation is at that level, we could be getting a 1 for 1 #1D in trade. I think I could live with that sort of deal, Nylander would be the star of his team and we solve our woes and balance our cap better. That team may very well be willing to pay him 8m right now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Bob MacKenzie has been reporting that the leafs aren't listening to any offers at the moment.

So nobody is negotiating with Nylander but Dubas.
teams don't need permission from the Dube to talk to Willie and it's obvious since they're still interested in trading for him his asking price is reasonable

Mar 26, 2010
We'll see.
The Tavares signing has f***ed this team big time. He is not even close to $11M superstar. He is not a superstar at all. That contact is going to be dead weight moving forward.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
teams don't need permission from the Dube to talk to Willie and it's obvious since they're still interested in trading for him his asking price is reasonable

jump-to-conclusions.png

url

Reactions: Marshy

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Difference is you are free to find another job any time. Willie is not.
I'd think not really, apprenticeships in the trades all work the same way, a 2nd year apprentice electrician is not going to make what an electrician makes. A 1st year teacher doesn't make what a seasoned teacher makes. The new police officer takes a few years to make what a 1st class constable makes. Sure companies put titles on people after several years but everyone knows its just getting their time in. Many other examples are out there where people are expected to do the same job but just have to put the time in to get the top pay.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
there's so much wrong with your post i didn't know whether i'd should be bothered replying to such a biased poster

1. on most teams he'd be playing 2/3 mins more without having an unskilled slug like Hyman on his line

2. never said what the exact amount teams were willing to pay him , i said that since half the league is interested in trading for him it obviously means they have no problem meeting his ask unlike the Dube

3. can't be that hard putting up ppg on a crappy team when Barzel who i'm told is brutally overrated is pacing for ppg

4. your confusing ppg with p/60 and since your using total points as your argument the more mins you play the easier it is to up your ppg

5. i don't know where you came up with the 5.5m but for what it's worth Kipper said we were just above 4m per x 4 yrs and Dregger said thee Dube was at 6m per long term (7/8yrs ?)

6. we don't know how JT will age but if gets any slower he'll have to transition to wing
Barzal plays center. Only played with Tavares on the PP. Yes on other teams he would probably play 2-3 minutes more. Most teams don’t have the offensive depth that we do. Barzal is not over rated in my books for what it’s worth. I can guarantee you there is not a lineup of teams willing pay 8 mil to Willy. I can see some teams that need offence/wingers willing to pay 7.25-7.5 million long term. Doesn’t mean we should. As for the points per /60 you may be right as I don’t really look in to those stats.

You think I’m biased? How so exactly? I don’t have no agenda I’m trying push here. I like the Tavares signing. I like Willy but am frustrated he hasn’t signed. To me it seems your trying put another player down to prop another player up? I could be wrong. Anyway I will respectfully disagree with your opinion and move on

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
let's see

unsigned rfa

a) do i first speak to his agent to see how much he's looking for before i try to make a deal with the GM of his team

or

b) not call his agent and instead try to arrange a deal with his team and then see if asking price is reasonable

homer leaf fan who has to defend the Dube's every move to the death choose's A , everybody else goes with option B

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I'd think not really, apprenticeships in the trades all work the same way, a 2nd year apprentice electrician is not going to make what an electrician makes. A 1st year teacher doesn't make what a seasoned teacher makes. The new police officer takes a few years to make what a 1st class constable makes. Sure companies put titles on people after several years but everyone knows its just getting their time in. Many other examples are out there where people are expected to do the same job but just have to put the time in to get the top pay.
Exactly. As a 3rd year apprentice I make 60% of a plumbers rate. I gotta do my time before I can earn my full rate, as should Willy. Personally think Willy would be worth 8 mill a year soon but he doesn’t deserve that yet and should be paid accordingly

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
100% agree. I’m a plumbing apprentice in construction, if I were to go to my boss and say, pay me my full rate now because I will be worth it soon I would probably get laughed at out the door with my lay off papers

Well, there are thousands of people to take your place. If you a unique skill it’d be different story

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Sounds nice until you say this to McDavid.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If teams are so willing to pay Nylander’s ask how come nobody has offer-sheeted him?

Because it's more trouble than there worth

Most teams with cap space suck so don't want to give up the picks and the good teams are hard up against the cap so can't throw a high enough AAV at it to guarantee they get him

It also ***** your own salary structure

It's way easier to just trade for him if your going down that road

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
We'll see.

It's not Tavares its Nylander. If the 8mill ask was true hes smoking something real good. Four rival GMs even agreed that hes not worth that. Hes being like his father, thinks hes knows better. Thanks Chia for giving leon 8.25m or w.e. he got..that's what was reported as his comparison used by Gross. One guy lol Pasta and Ehlers dont make that, I dont get it. How can you say you're worth that? It's not just points it's how you play. Marner drives whatever line he is on, Matthew's is just plain special, and JT is one of the best 2way centers in the league.

Nylander needs to accept a bridge at this point, right now I dont know what is going on here. Gross meets dubas, things sound to be going the right way and yet nothing still.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Because it's more trouble than there worth

Most teams with cap space suck so don't want to give up the picks and the good teams are hard up against the cap so can't throw a high enough AAV at it to guarantee they get him

It also ***** your own salary structure

It's way easier to just trade for him if your going down that road

Because if they did that and say it was 8mill the leafs get what 4 1st rounders

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
let's see

unsigned rfa

a) do i first speak to his agent to see how much he's looking for before i try to make a deal with the GM of his team

or

b) not call his agent and instead try to arrange a deal with his team and then see if asking price is reasonable

homer leaf fan who has to defend the Dube's every move to the death choose's A , everybody else goes with option B

LOL do you go to the troll school of internet posting?

Day 1 Strawmen and how to use them
Day 2 Ad Hominems for great effect
Day 3 Weaving the fabric of false dichotomies
Day 4 Combinations for the win.

You are beautiful LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad