Nylander Chronicles Part XXIV: Homer's Odyssey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If William does indeed go unsigned past December 1st did he also not cutoff his nose to spite his face? If I was Dubas I wouldnt budge, and I definitely think he would find a better trade in the summer,

Willie might be greedy but he is not stupid. He might not be happy but he will sign.

Reactions: Leafs1993

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Sportsnet reported that the Leafs have at least 12-15 potential trading partners lined up for Nylander.

If true, a contingency for the new team would be getting him under contract.

Surely this helps Nylander’s position. If there are that many teams willing to pay his contract ask... there’s the market value.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Dubas' biggest enemy can be MLSE giving him the ultimatum to get a deal done. Rumor has it that is why Bergevin overpaid PK.
MLSE doesn't work that way. They usually are good with everything recommended by hockey management staff.

Reactions: ToneDog

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
suppressing his stats then trying to use it against him doesn't seem to be working since half the league who wants to trade for him doesn't have a problem paying what he's asking for

so a 20 extra points in 4/5mins more per game means JT is worth close to double what we're offering Nylander ? and i doubt JT will be the same player between 32-34 that he is at 28
There is so much wrong with this post.

1. Suppressing his stats? He was playing with Auston freakin Matthews since day 1. If they wanted to suppress his stats he would have played 3rd line with Bozak.
2. Please show me one link that says any team is willing to pay 8 million for Nylander. (Or any amount as I have not seen anything regarding what a team would pay him)
3. 20 extra points playing one of the hardest positions against the hardest lineups with little to no supporting cast is actually very good.
4. Maybe someone who knows advanced stats more can shed some light on this, but typically don’t players score less PPG when they play 20+ minutes as compared to 17-19 minutes? Not 100% sure, but minutes are earned. To get those minutes you have to be the best option available and if we are up by a goal in the third defending a lead, who would you rather have on the ice, Nylander or Tavares?
5. Please post a source we offered Nylander 5.5 million
6. Tavares will decline a bit by the time he is 34 of course. He will probably still score more than 62 points i’d bet. With that said, the way he plays doesn’t suggest a significant regression at 32

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Dubas' biggest enemy can be MLSE giving him the ultimatum to get a deal done. Rumor has it that is why Bergevin overpaid PK.
MLSE couldnt turn the fans against them any quicker if that was true. A giant step back to the past that would be.

Reactions: ToneDog

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Well, I understand if Willie wants a good deal. Would just like to have seen a more positive, team friendlier approach like "give me a one year deal, I will show you I am better than Marner. Let's get to work." Then we all profit and Nylander makes his case for the Leafs to pay him the really big bucks.
100% agree. I’m a plumbing apprentice in construction, if I were to go to my boss and say, pay me my full rate now because I will be worth it soon I would probably get laughed at out the door with my lay off papers

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Sportsnet reported that the Leafs have at least 12-15 potential trading partners lined up for Nylander.

Surely this helps Nylander’s position. If there are that many teams willing to pay his contract ask... there’s the market value.
Well hopefully there is at least one fair trade offered in all of that

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I have to think Nylander would choose option 1:

1. 6.75 million x 7 years on the Leafs
2. 8 million x 8 years on the Coyotes

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Bob MacKenzie has been reporting that the leafs aren't listening to any offers at the moment.

So nobody is negotiating with Nylander but Dubas.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
100% agree. I’m a plumbing apprentice in construction, if I were to go to my boss and say, pay me my full rate now because I will be worth it soon I would probably get laughed at out the door with my lay off papers

Thank you. Ive.been saying the samething. I mean heck yeah I think I’m worth way more. But if I sit out because I wanna be paid more than what I’m worth. I’m fired and I’ll be doing tricks on young street for twenty bucks a job. No thanks.

Reactions: Leafs1993

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Thank you. Ive.been saying the samething. I mean heck yeah I think I’m worth way more. But if I sit out because I wanna be paid more than what I’m worth. I’m fired and I’ll be doing tricks on young street for twenty bucks a job. No thanks.

Difference is you are free to find another job any time. Willie is not.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I have to think Nylander would choose option 1:

1. 6.75 million x 7 years on the Leafs
2. 8 million x 8 years on the Coyotes

I am not so sure.

Yeah i really dont think I would take that bet either.

Given all of the small details regarding his fathers past, the scouting on Nylanders personality from years ago and what is transpiring it honestly feels more like a every penny counts and it doesnt matter where it comes from. I know it seems like every single hockey player should prioritize winning a championship over making a few extra dollars, but they definitely dont. That deal is asking him to leave 17million dollars off the table which maybe he thinks he is worth.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I just keep coming back to the same thing in my head. This is his SECOND contract...it's not supposed to be the final kick at the can. That usually happens when you are in your late 20's or early 30's. He is going to make a ton of money at some point in the future...it's driving me nuts. If stupid GM's pay tons of money on the 2nd contract...they better not overpay for the last part of the players career (which they will when they get to July 1st and UFA fever strikes)...so the RFA years which were supposed to be the cost controlled years turn into "maybe" getting value by buying a few UFA years...its nuts I tell ya...Nuts!!

Edmonton screwed everyone by giving the three amigos (Hopkins,Hall and Eberle) 6M contracts for the 2nd ones. The OILERS set the standard making the rest of the league pay crazy amounts for RFA's...think about that for a second...the worst run Organization is being followed by other teams instead of Tampa where everyone said they were screwed for not locking up Stamkos and Kucherov to long term 2nd deals....I just think we should be like Stevie Y and not cave to this craziness...even Sakic held on forever for a dummy to come take Duchene of his hands and pay a ransom for it. Stay steady Kyle...if you need to make him sit the year..do it..unless of course you get exactly what you want.

End of rant.

Don't think this is a rant. This is pretty logical in a cap world. Dubas has to hold his ground. Can't have inmates running the asylum here.

Logo on the front means A LOT MORE than the name on the back. This is the culture of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Get with the program or get out. Period!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There is so much wrong with this post.

1. Suppressing his stats? He was playing with Auston freakin Matthews since day 1. If they wanted to suppress his stats he would have played 3rd line with Bozak.
2. Please show me one link that says any team is willing to pay 8 million for Nylander. (Or any amount as I have not seen anything regarding what a team would pay him)
3. 20 extra points playing one of the hardest positions against the hardest lineups with little to no supporting cast is actually very good.
4. Maybe someone who knows advanced stats more can shed some light on this, but typically don’t players score less PPG when they play 20+ minutes as compared to 17-19 minutes? Not 100% sure, but minutes are earned. To get those minutes you have to be the best option available and if we are up by a goal in the third defending a lead, who would you rather have on the ice, Nylander or Tavares?
5. Please post a source we offered Nylander 5.5 million
6. Tavares will decline a bit by the time he is 34 of course. He will probably still score more than 62 points i’d bet. With that said, the way he plays doesn’t suggest a significant regression at 32
there's so much wrong with your post i didn't know whether i should be bothered replying to such a biased poster

1. on most teams he'd be playing 2/3 mins more without having an unskilled slug like Hyman on his line

2. never said what the exact amount teams were willing to pay him , i said that since half the league is interested in trading for him it obviously means they have no problem meeting his ask unlike the Dube

3. can't be that hard putting up ppg on a crappy team when Barzel who i'm told is brutally overrated is pacing for ppg

4. your confusing ppg with p/60 and since your using total points as your argument the more mins you play the easier it is to up your ppg

5. i don't know where you came up with the 5.5m but for what it's worth Kipper said we were just above 4m per x 4 yrs and Dregger said thee Dube was at 6m per long term (7/8yrs ?)

6. we don't know how JT will age but if gets any slower he'll have to transition to wing

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad