Confirmed with Link: Nylander changing his number to #88 and received WC Best Man Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Matthews line had a 38.10 CF% in the game 7 ...

game 7 CF% ...
  • 59.38 tavares line
  • 53.33 Willie/Marleau/brown line
  • 38.10 Matthews line and played against the Krejci line

1. Matthews line was awful because his linemates were not suitable for him. Why not rely more on the top 2 lines and stack them in the third period? I.e., move up Willy and double shift someone from the top 6 to fill out the 3rd line and sparingly use the 3rd line.

2. Even if Matthews is having a bad game I would ride or die with him in the 3rd period instead of foolishly thinking that the worst winger in the league (Marleau) and a serviceable 3rd/4th line heart n soul tarannah kid (Brown) would have any game-breaking impact. It's not like the ice time changes much at all when Matthews is statistically dominant in CF.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
1. Matthews line was awful because his linemates were not suitable for him. Why not rely more on the top 2 lines and stack them in the third period? I.e., move up Willy and double shift someone from the top 6 to fill out the 3rd line and sparingly use the 3rd line.

2. Even if Matthews is having a bad game I would ride or die with him in the 3rd period instead of foolishly thinking that the worst winger in the league (Marleau) and a serviceable 3rd/4th line heart n soul tarannah kid (Brown) would have any game-breaking impact. It's not like the ice time changes much at all when Matthews is statistically dominant in CF.

you cant just play the Tavares and Matthews line back to back the entire period against that Boston team. Matthews had game 6 and 7 to dominate, he didnt...

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
you cant just play the Tavares and Matthews line back to back the entire period against that Boston team. Matthews had game 6 and 7 to dominate, he didnt...

Sorry he only scored 5 goals while our only good line (JT line) floundered miserably, especially Marner who was terrible on the PK as well as ES.

Wouldn't be surprised if Matthews had more goals than Marleau, Brown, and Marner combined.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Naw dude, this was a legit A+ PR move on Nylander's part, in one swoop he soothes things over with some of the fan base after that tire fire of a performance last year while also giving off the vibe that he truly wants to be in Toronto (who spends their own money re-cresting fans jerseys on a team they don't want to be on...seriously smart move on his part
Really? You actually believe he's using his own money? C'mon man. Don't be that gullable. Real sports and mlse will nicely cover it.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
WC Best Man award is as useless as nipples on a breast plate.

The best players are simply not at the tournament and the intensity is non-existent.
Willy is a world class player, he knows the WC doesn't matter.

Only thing that matters is the Stanley Cup Playoffs and raising your game from the regular season.

Reactions: Garthinater

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

The best players are simply not at the tournament and the intensity is non-existent.

Only thing that matters is the Stanley Cup Playoffs and raising your game from the regular season.
I guess Kucherov and Malkin doesn't count, huh?

And no offense, but the very idea that these players would skip vacation and precious time with their family to go halfway around the world to represent their country for free and not really try their hardest is absurd.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I guess Kucherov and Malkin doesn't count, huh?

And no offense, but the very idea that these players would skip vacation and precious time with their family to go halfway around the world to represent their country for free and not really try their hardest is absurd.

Congrats on Kucherov and Malkin. Color me unimpressed. I love Nylander but best man at the WC in the summer? Really?
He was not playing against most of the best players in the world (see below).

I am not an expert on most teams but Team USA and Team Canada were not anywhere near being "fully" staffed.
Call me ASAP if he wins best man at a tournament featuring the best players.
And, yes, I am saying the compete level at the WC was lower than the end of the NHL season and the Stanley Cup playoffs ...

Players NOT on Team Canada (to name just a few ... I could go on and on):
Sidney Crosby
Connor McDavid
Mitch Marner
John Tavares
Brad Marchand
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan O'Reilly
Morgan Reilly
Nathan McKinnon
Stevem Stankos
Mark Scheifele
Jonathan Toews
Brent Burns

Players NOT on Team USA:
Auston Matthews
Blake Wheeler
Phil Kessel
Mat Tkachuk
Joe Pavelski
Seth Jones
John Carlson
Cam Atkinson
Alex DeBrincat
Jake Guentzel
Kyle Connor
Brock Boeser

Reactions: Garthinater

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

There are a lot of great players at the world championships. For Willy it counted this year especially. He didn't have the year he and we expected of him. It is great for him to get some confidence back. It did for a player like Kucherov as well. As Tampa had a disappointing playoff as well. The MVP award is a nice reward. Tampa was a better team than Columbus they just weren't better in the series.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Its showing line combinations with specific players.

Nylander played 37.92% with Matthews, and 37.11% with Marleau :nod:

When were those minutes accumulated though?

When Nylander was trying to get in game condition or when he was in game condition?

I don't know just asking, because I think that would be relevant to the analysis.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
When were those minutes accumulated though?

When Nylander was trying to get in game condition or when he was in game condition?

I don't know just asking, because I think that would be relevant to the analysis.

I think you can look at it monthly if you'd like. Dobberhockey has the information, but its too much work for me to bother.

I also don't agree that its completely relevent. When the premise is "Nylander didn't have the opportunity to produce because he was played with lesser linemates", that is false no matter how you look at it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Congrats on Kucherov and Malkin. Color me unimpressed. I love Nylander but best man at the WC in the summer? Really?
He was not playing against most of the best players in the world (see below).

I am not an expert on most teams but Team USA and Team Canada were not anywhere near being "fully" staffed.
Call me ASAP if he wins best man at a tournament featuring the best players.
And, yes, I am saying the compete level at the WC was lower than the end of the NHL season and the Stanley Cup playoffs ...

Players NOT on Team Canada (to name just a few ... I could go on and on):
Sidney Crosby
Connor McDavid
Mitch Marner
John Tavares
Brad Marchand
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan O'Reilly
Morgan Reilly
Nathan McKinnon
Stevem Stankos
Mark Scheifele
Jonathan Toews
Brent Burns

Players NOT on Team USA:
Auston Matthews
Blake Wheeler
Phil Kessel
Mat Tkachuk
Joe Pavelski
Seth Jones
John Carlson
Cam Atkinson
Alex DeBrincat
Jake Guentzel
Kyle Connor
Brock Boeser

Okay, to be fair Ryan O'Reilly didn't play against most of those players either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think you can look at it monthly if you'd like. Dobberhockey has the information, but its too much work for me to bother.

I also don't agree that its completely relevent. When the premise is "Nylander didn't have the opportunity to produce because he was played with lesser linemates", that is false no matter how you look at it.

True, Nylander while working himself into game condition, after 7 months of not playing, did not produce with Matthews. That's a fact.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not as concerned about Nylander as some others seem to be. I see a big year coming from him.
Agreed, he'll put up his points.
I think we just need to accept the type of player he is and enjoy what he brings instead of wishing he was something else.
That's my approach for this season anyway.

Reactions: kb

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Really? You actually believe he's using his own money? C'mon man. Don't be that gullable. Real sports and mlse will nicely cover it.

..but to be fair if you recrested ALL the Nylander jerseys how much would it really cost, that's 4 jerseys at $40 bucks a pop? $160 bucks max... ;)

Reactions: yubbers

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm not as concerned about Nylander as some others seem to be. I see a big year coming from him.

I'm not concerned about his skill, the guy is in a small crowd of players that can do what he can do , what I'm concerned about, is that thing between his ears. He had pressure in Toronto (real or perceived) after his late signing and he wilted, he had zero pressure in the Worlds and he dominated. Kinda tells you all you need to know about where he is right now. Sometimes young players can handle the spotlight. Doesn't mean he is a bad player, just means he lacks coping skills.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander is better then many try to make him and Marner worse then many try to make him. Has been that way since before they got drafted.

If Marner signs for 10+ x 6 he will have a harder time living up to his contract then Nylander. He might do it, and i hope he does, but it will be tough.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Like the swagger I’m hearing from Nylander this off season, really does feel like a fresh start. Could be an exciting year for him. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Sypher04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad