Confirmed with Link: Nylander changing his number to #88 and received WC Best Man Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not concerned about his skill, the guy is in a small crowd of players that can do what he can do , what I'm concerned about, is that thing between his ears. He had pressure in Toronto (real or perceived) after his late signing and he wilted, he had zero pressure in the Worlds and he dominated. Kinda tells you all you need to know about where he is right now. Sometimes young players can handle the spotlight. Doesn't mean he is a bad player, just means he lacks coping skills.
He represented his country and carried their hopes on his shoulders, especially as the tournament went on. These tournaments are what's going to define him as a player to his home country. There's quite obviously pressure to go with that.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He represented his country and carried their hopes on his shoulders, especially as the tournament went on. These tournaments are what's going to define him as a player to his home country. There's quite obviously pressure to go with that.

C'mon now who remembers anyone's performance at any Worlds? It's an insignificant tournament.

I can honestly say I can't remember or care about any Canadians performance at any World's competition, good or bad. Why? because its an insignificant ancillary tournament that means nothing. There are so many outside of the NHL, who can remember them all? The worlds is basically some of the best players taken from teams that can't get past the 1st round of the NHL playoffs, yippie... another tournament of losers. The Olympic's is what will define him as a player to his country, that tournament has the best of the best.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
C'mon now who remembers anyone's performance at any Worlds? It's an insignificant tournament.

I can honestly say I can't remember or care about any Canadians performance at any World's competition, good or bad. Why? because its an insignificant ancillary tournament that means nothing. There are so many outside of the NHL, who can remember them all? The worlds is basically some of the best players taken from teams that can't get past the 1st round of the NHL playoffs, yippie... another tournament of losers. The Olympic's is what will define him as a player to his country, that tournament has the best of the best.

see you are looking at it from a Canadian's perspective, I believe Europeans take the worlds way more seriously than canadian and US fans. Makes sense they don't have NHL teams (obviously)

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Iv just recent years cared about stanley or not and worlds and olympics has been far more interesting for me. Any Finland vs Sweden final still beats any stanley cup final for me. I know im not alone regarding rival countrys in finals. You just dont care enough for all Nhl teams. NHLs world cup suckt most out of all even if they are best vs best.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Agreed, he'll put up his points.
I think we just need to accept the type of player he is and enjoy what he brings instead of wishing he was something else.
That's my approach for this season anyway.

I think he will get better two ways over time, but he's always gonna be a guy who skates the puck well and makes plays. Every team has players like him but a lot of them with a lot less skill that Willy has, so I think your approach is a good one.

Reactions: ACC1224

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

... You are aware that I'm a Swede right? I actually know what makes or breaks hockey players in our country, unlike you. Most people here couldn't care less about Lidström winning his 7 Norris. Sundin, on the other hand, became a legend due to his World Championship tournaments as a youngster.

Any international tournament matters for us, and Willy knows that full well.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Like the swagger I’m hearing from Nylander this off season, really does feel like a fresh start. Could be an exciting year for him. Fingers crossed.

Bet Babs didn't like it lol/

So obvious as well lol

Reporter: So what do you think about Nylander saying he's ready to dominate?
Any other coach: That's what we want, he's a big part of this team
Babcock: Well the thing about Willy is that he needs to compete every night and make sure he digs deep. We got a lot of talented players around here, and there is only one puck, so he's going to have to bite down hard and take it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
... You are aware that I'm a Swede right? I actually know what makes or breaks hockey players in our country, unlike you. Most people here couldn't care less about Lidström winning his 7 Norris. Sundin, on the other hand, became a legend due to his World Championship tournaments as a youngster.

Yup aware and it's still an insignificant tournament for anyone outside a Scandinavian country. Most pro's looked at it as a trip to Europe and a way to start their summer vacation on a high point.

Why did (what factor allowed) Willie turn it on as soon as he left North America?

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

With his tournament success, I’m surprised you’re not hyping Wennberg up as being the next Peter Forsberg!

Wennberg too has faired quite well at the WHC!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Bet Babs didn't like it lol/

So obvious as well lol

Reporter: So what do you think about Nylander saying he's ready to dominate?
Any other coach: That's what we want, he's a big part of this team
Babcock: Well the thing about Willy is that he needs to compete every night and make sure he digs deep. We got a lot of talented players around here, and there is only one puck, so he's going to have to bite down hard and take it.

Sounds like a coach who knows his player.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Sounds like demotivating couch who will suck out any fun out the game. Not hard to see why the youngsters want to squeeze Dubas for every dollar they can and hit UFA as soon as possible.

Fun is when you see multiple zeros behind your pay cheque for playing a kids game, 17 minutes every other night. Fun is buying a Ferrari, fun is waking up in Venice and not having a financial care in the world. Fun is going to elite parties with models. Fun is doing what ever your heart desires on your 4 month long summer vacation. Fun is working out with the best trainers in the world, then spending the day on a European beach. Fun is spending quality time with your family.

If Willie is so fragile he cant take his coach saying he has to dig deep and fight for his touches, then Willie is in the wrong business.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
but HE was the best player at the worlds
it's up to Babcock to make u use the kid properly

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yup aware and it's still an insignificant tournament for anyone outside a Scandinavian country. Most pro's looked at it as a trip to Europe and a way to start their summer vacation on a high point.

Why did (what factor allowed) Willie turn it on as soon as he left North America?
1. You said there was no pressure to perform.
2. I pointed out that there is pressure since his performance would be integral to how his home country perceive him as a hockey player.
3. As such, it doesn't matter how it's perceived outside Sweden. In Sweden it matters, which means there's expectations and consequences to his play, which means that there's pressure.

Furthermore, it's ridiculous to think that players actually view going to play more competitive hockey after a long and grueling season that way, when they could be relaxing on some beach somewhere with their family. And people do take representing their country seriously, you know.

With his tournament success, I’m surprised you’re not hyping Wennberg up as being the next Peter Forsberg!

Wennberg too has faired quite well at the WHC!
Read above. You are missing the point by a mile. I'm sure Wennberg felt pressure to perform as well, which was the topic of discussion.

Besides, it was clear to anybody that was watching those games who drove that line. There's a reason Willy was the only Swede who walked away from the tournament with consistently high grades.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Read above. You are missing the point by a mile. I'm sure Wennberg felt pressure to perform as well, which was the topic of discussion.

Besides, it was clear to anybody that was watching those games who drove that line. There's a reason Willy was the only Swede who walked away from the tournament with consistently high grades.

I wasn't actually responding to that post, actually... but rather that you seem to be the most vocal person on these boards that is pimping out Nylander for an international hockey tournament that didn't even have all of the worlds' best.... ;) I just found it interesting nobody is talking about how good a tournament Wennberg had.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I wasn't actually responding to that post, actually... but rather that you seem to be the most vocal person on these boards that is pimping out Nylander for an international hockey tournament that didn't even have all of the worlds' best.... ;) I just found it interesting nobody is talking about how good a tournament Wennberg had.
Let me get this straight. You really felt the need to interject yourself into a discussion about something else just to take a pitiful shot at me for praising Nylander's tournament, even though I was not doing so at all in the post you quoted?

That's just sad.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Let me get this straight. You really felt the need to interject yourself into a discussion about something else just to take a pitiful shot at me for praising Nylander's tournament, even though I was not doing so at all in the post you quoted?

That's just sad.

I didn't mean it maliciously... it was a playful jab. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion. I for one am not convinced that WHC success will translate to NHL success, but I hope I'm wrong!

I just find it interesting that the tournament can be used as a platform to hype Nylander, but nobody is using it as a platform to hype Wennberg.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Wait I don't get it. Did Wennberg have as good of a tournament as Nylander (or even close to it)?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I didn't mean it maliciously... it was a playful jab. Nothing wrong with having a different opinion. I for one am not convinced that WHC success will translate to NHL success, but I hope I'm wrong!

I just find it interesting that the tournament can be used as a platform to hype Nylander, but nobody is using it as a platform to hype Wennberg.

Cool. Luckily we have preexisting NHL success to add in conjunction to his WHC success. Definitely more than Wennberg.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Well Leaf fans aren't going to hype up a player from another team when we have a superior player who plays for our team. If your looking for Wennberg hype the Columbus board might have some. Then again, I'm sure even Blue Jackets fans will tell you Willy was the main catalyst.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin

Didn't know Germany, Switzerland, Czechia, Slovakia and especially Russia are Scandinavian.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
The world championship tournament is about as effective a barometer of translatable nhl success as the world junior tournament is. I bet Nylander looked like a future hall of famer there, yet in the actual nhl where there is effort and big mean players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad