Confirmed with Link: Nylander changing his number to #88 and received WC Best Man Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think you can look at it monthly if you'd like. Dobberhockey has the information, but its too much work for me to bother.

I also don't agree that its completely relevent. When the premise is "Nylander didn't have the opportunity to produce because he was played with lesser linemates", that is false no matter how you look at it.

Well by the end of the season he scored at the same rate as his 61pt season but just had less PP time as the PP1 was already set by the time he joined.

So it is mostly the ice time opportunity. He otherwise was the same, no better or no worse on average. But by the end of the season he was better.

Expect a big year from him.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
... You are aware that I'm a Swede right? I actually know what makes or breaks hockey players in our country, unlike you. Most people here couldn't care less about Lidström winning his 7 Norris. Sundin, on the other hand, became a legend due to his World Championship tournaments as a youngster.

Any international tournament matters for us, and Willy knows that full well.
Not to mention that many europeans dont even watch the nhl playoffs once their fave nhl team is out. For me i watched the Leafs and then travelled to Slovakia to watch my Swedes and zero f***s given for the playoffs like i dont f***ing care about the blues ... i dont even remember the other team but Willy jumping on Henke still makes me smile.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Didn't know Germany, Switzerland, Czechia, Slovakia and especially Russia are Scandinavian.

Four countries that are after thoughts in the pantheon of hockey and one country that always folds in every major tournament, yep. After thoughts.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
1. You said there was no pressure to perform.
2. I pointed out that there is pressure since his performance would be integral to how his home country perceive him as a hockey player.
3. As such, it doesn't matter how it's perceived outside Sweden. In Sweden it matters, which means there's expectations and consequences to his play, which means that there's pressure.

Furthermore, it's ridiculous to think that players actually view going to play more competitive hockey after a long and grueling season that way, when they could be relaxing on some beach somewhere with their family. And people do take representing their country seriously, you know.

Read above. You are missing the point by a mile. I'm sure Wennberg felt pressure to perform as well, which was the topic of discussion.

Besides, it was clear to anybody that was watching those games who drove that line. There's a reason Willy was the only Swede who walked away from the tournament with consistently high grades.

Pressure that you have to perform at an elite level or lose your job/income/ lifestyle vs pressure playing in some insignificant tournament are equal, gotch ya ...

Maybe and just maybe you're projecting your own perceived significance of a tournament, and this particular tournament is not as pressure packed as you suggest. Maybe just maybe players don't care as much as you think they do. If the tournament is so import why did McDavid, Crosby, Stamkos skip? Hint: It's a joke of a tournament where competition is watered down, complimentary players become superstars for a few weeks.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Pressure that you have to perform at an elite level or lose your job/income/ lifestyle vs pressure playing in some insignificant tournament are equal, gotch ya ...
I never said they are equal. I said the pressure exist, contrary to what you claimed.

Maybe and just maybe you're projecting your own perceived significance of a tournament, and this particular tournament is not as pressure packed as you suggest.
It's often the largest sports event of the year here in Sweden. I'm also not spending this conversation making up phantom arguments and straw men. If someone is projecting, it's not me.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Ok, but there seems to be a popular opinion on these boards that onus for Nylander's success falls less on Nylander and more on Babcock.

IMO every player should strive to be the hardest working player on their respective team. Again IMO, Nylander does not give me that impression.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
In the worlds he gained confidence and really played to his potential. He was given responsibility to carry the team and did great. I hope he took this experience as an inspiration for summer training and that the confidence will show in training camp. I believe he will have a career season but with Nylander it seems its all about the confidence to go a 100%. At times he simply stays on the outside, wont shoot even though he has a great shot and simply looks uncertain and plays safe.

I see him as one of the interesting players to follow early on in the season to find out if he managed to take that step that I think most of us agree he has within him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad