News Article: Nylander, Advice for Matthews + Marner

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Well Bill Watters has stated that the deal Willy signed was on the table in the summer.
So,if that's indeed true, then there was really nothing to negotiate anyway.
It would boil down to Willy realizing he could take that deal or sit out. The 2 months of sitting on the side line, trying for more was a waste of time.

And, if this is all true, likely what he told AM and Mitch.
so Bill Watters who everyone thinks is a fool now has inside information none of the insiders had and should be believed because it makes Dubas look like he held his ground and forced Willie into signing his offer /

and why would anyone believe the team would offer above all the comparable's weeks before camp even started ? not to mention the endless we vs me or take less or sign at a num that fits among other non sense coming out of our mgmt

none of the insiders said the team was at 7m per , in fact most said they were offering in the 6 to 6.5 range and Kipper said in Nov the team was at 6 but was willing to go to the Pasta's contract but hadn't offered that yet

also i think it was Savard who said a few days before Willie signed it would take 7 to sign him

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He could be saying to his teammates the best offer you will get is before the season begins. He could also be saying that to miss 2 months of season is not good for your on ice performance.

You could take his statement as no less hypocritical than Shanny's statement to him. You could also take it as a guy begin apologetic admitting that what he did was a mistake and giving advice from a guy who just lived the same scenario.

He said a lot but left out a lot in his statement, I wish reporters were better in today's age. They take the first thing that the person says and don't do follow up questions. Like for example, Are you implying it was a mistake to hold out? Was there any benefit in holding out so long?
I don't take his statement as hypocritical. I don't even get why people think it is.

To me anyway, the only way to take it is him admitting it was a mistake. Or, at the very least, not worth it.

You are right though, not digging down on it more is the media not doing it's job well.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
so Bill Watters who everyone thinks is a fool now has inside information none of the insiders had and should be believed because it makes Dubas look like he held his ground and forced Willie into signing his offer /

and why would anyone believe the team would offer above all the comparable's weeks before camp even started ? not to mention the endless we vs me or take less or sign at a num that fits among other non sense coming out of our mgmt

none of the insiders said the team was at 7m per , in fact most said they were offering in the 6 to 6.5 range and Kipper said in Nov the team was at 6 but was willing to go to the Pasta's contract but hadn't offered that yet

also i think it was Savard who said a few days before Willie signed it would take 7 to sign him
Why would you believe an "insider" (s) whom most people think are fools with no links to a team over a guy whom most people think is a fool with links to the team?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't take his statement as hypocritical. I don't even get why people think it is.

To me anyway, the only way to take it is him admitting it was a mistake. Or, at the very least, not worth it.

You are right though, not digging down on it more is the media not doing it's job well.

I'm honestly not sure what Willie is saying or his motivation but if you believe it is hypocritical, he exercised his rights under the CBA, to hold out as long as possible to get the best deal possible. I think it worked out to a net $200k more in his favor. He is telling his teammates that they shouldn't exercise those same rights, just take the best deal before training camp because ... ???

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Bottom line we don't know what happened. So anyone saying "this is absolutely what happened" or "youre an idiot, it obviously didn't go down like that' are just guessing. The 'insiders' in the news or the ones who pretend on here were as shut out as most of the fan base. Im glad he's signed and it looks like it'll be water under the bridge and not too much residual hatred from the fan base for sitting out.

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why would you believe an "insider" (s) whom most people think are fools with no links to a team over a guy whom most people think is a fool with links to the team?

ff990.jpg

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Take his word for it. He suffered, the team suffered, we can't have that happen again. :sarcasm:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

he should have taken 6.5 ….willy has to totally produce ,can u imagine paying him all the money by july 1st and he gets like 25 points and the leafs go out early in the playoffs
HEEE GONEEEEEEE

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
But if he were honest he would say something more along the lines of... I leveraged the cap the team had available at the time and beat them in a battle of attrition. I got approximately 1m per year over what the initial offer was, and so, financially I made a good choice (And so can you).

He got less than his initial ask, so how did he win a battle of attrition?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He got less than his initial ask, so how did he win a battle of attrition?

The initial ask, if true (8mil/yr) was absurd and nobody in their right mind thinks he's worth that. He still got more than he should have, so I guess its a win for Nylander in the end.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think in the next CBA there needs to be a change in compensation rules. Another level above 9m, Matthews is worth more than 4 mid/late -first round picks. Heck I wouldn't trade him for 8 late first round picks.

Needs to be a way to guarantee those first round picks are very high.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think in the next CBA there needs to be a change in compensation rules. Another level above 9m, Matthews is worth more than 4 mid/late -first round picks. Heck I wouldn't trade him for 8 late first round picks.

I think you might be spending too much energy worrying about extreme and unrealistic scenarios.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
My assumption is, he has realized it wasnt worth that extra $ and now trying to catch up which may not happen. I'm sure he will get better but missing that much time throws a guy off big time. He takes like 25 second shifts. Literally last game watched him ozone its cleared gets to our zone s d if no high pressure occurs hes off.

I don't see an issue with Matthew's to me hes easy. He will probably be highest paid player in the league. With cap inflation of McDavid deal..under a 83mill cap 12.5 is really 13.6. Marner is way harder. Hes come out flying this year and if he keeps this up that 90 100pt season will get him between 9 and 10.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Guess it depends on one's definition of "very high", but only a handful of NHLers currently have a cap hit above $10,148,303. Add that a team has to have their own picks and at least that amount of cap space to work with (which may eliminate enough good teams already) then throw in the seven year vs eight year contract limit...I'm not surprised we don't see many offer sheets, and in a cap league, that's a good thing. Think change would be more likely to happen if offer sheets were prevalent.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
My assumption is, he has realized it wasnt worth that extra $ and now trying to catch up which may not happen. I'm sure he will get better but missing that much time throws a guy off big time. He takes like 25 second shifts. Literally last game watched him ozone its cleared gets to our zone s d if no high pressure occurs hes off.

I don't see an issue with Matthew's to me hes easy. He will probably be highest paid player in the league. With cap inflation of McDavid deal..under a 83mill cap 12.5 is really 13.6. Marner is way harder. Hes come out flying this year and if he keeps this up that 90 100pt season will get him between 9 and 10.

Don't let the media hype train fool you...Matthews is not as good as McDavid and won't be getting McDavid money...I think $11 million max for Matthews. If Matthews is asking for $13.6 million, there will be issues...and if Matthews asks for that much...how much does Marner asks for?

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
not sure if anyone saw it but babs was asked about willy saying he is a bit frustrated starts at around 1:40 of the video some interesting take on it :laugh:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Don't let the media hype train fool you...Matthews is not as good as McDavid and won't be getting McDavid money...I think $11 million max for Matthews. If Matthews is asking for $13.6 million, there will be issues...and if Matthews asks for that much...how much does Marner asks for?

Matthew's is going to get more then 11. He is already better than Tavares who is what 28 I believe and makes 11. He will be the highest paid leaf and he deserves it

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
8.5 for Mitch and 11.5 for Auston, get 'er done.
Matthews' new contract will depend if he stays healthy for the remainder of this season and the playoffs. Management cannot offer him Connor McDavid money ($12.5M per) if Matthews regularly misses 1/4 of the season. As for the playmaker extraordinaire Marner, he should be signed to $9M per (P.K. Subban money) for 8 years.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I don't see an issue with Matthew's to me hes easy. He will probably be highest paid player in the league. With cap inflation of McDavid deal..under a 83mill cap 12.5 is really 13.6.

You think Matthews should get McDavid money plus cap inflation? If he does, we best start looking for a new GM that is more fiscally responsible.

Reactions: Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Matthew's is going to get more then 11. He is already better than Tavares who is what 28 I believe and makes 11. He will be the highest paid leaf and he deserves it

Tavares is a UFA. You could argue Tavares' contribution so far to the Leafs this year is bigger than Matthews'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad