News Article: Nylander, Advice for Matthews + Marner

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If I told you that Dubas could sign Matty today for 8 years for 12.75M and Marner for 10.25M for 8 years would you do the deal today?

Or would you continue the negotiations in hopes of securing a better deal down the line?

Curious how the wannabie GMs would play out this scenario ....

Marner can not be paid $10M+ we cant have 3 $10M forwards its never going to work. JT and Matthews should be our only $10M+ players, followed by maybe rielly when his deal is up assuming he keeps progressing into a top 10 dman in the league.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner can not be paid $10M+ we cant have 3 $10M forwards its never going to work. JT and Matthews should be our only $10M+ players, followed by maybe rielly when his deal is up assuming he keeps progressing into a top 10 dman in the league.
Again agreed. But you have to understand what Dubas is dealing with here. And he has decided to take the high road in all these negotiations. He will not take to the press and make them public. So don't be pressing for a quick deal. It is NOT going to happen.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
lol nothing to look into here.

Obviously every player wants the contract before the season starts, even the ones who hold out. Nobody's ideal situation is to sign late and miss camp.

Nylander isn't going to say anything like this if they indeed hold out. He'd let them handle their business just like they did with him.

Yes, I don’t see any noteworthy news here either. Of course it would be better to get the deal done sooner. Water is wet.

If there was no difference between what the team offered, and what Willy wanted, there was no need for the holdout whatsoever. I’m not buying that theory.

Reactions: Havoc

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Again agreed. But you have to understand what Dubas is dealing with here. And he has decided to take the high road in all these negotiations. He will not take to the press and make them public. So don't be pressing for a quick deal. It is NOT going to happen.

No I don’t think it will be quick. I expect marner to miss a few games, unless of course the home town discount angle crap comes true for once in forever. I don’t expect marner to take a hometown discount at all but imo he is not close to worth $10m. $9m is the absolute max

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No I don’t think it will be quick. I expect marner to miss a few games, unless of course the home town discount angle crap comes true for once in forever. I don’t expect marner to take a hometown discount at all but imo he is not close to worth $10m. $9m is the absolute max
Agreed again. I hope it doesn't lead to missing season games. But Dubas must stand tall for sake of team. And I want best for Mitch too great kid. Paul a little over the top but a good guy deep down.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Playing catch up during the middle of the season is hard, I bet. Is a few extra 100s thousands dollars really worth it to lose games you will never get back? Play catch up pretty much all season? Damage some of your reputation, perhaps irreparably?
It’s several hundred thousand times seven (7) years meaning millions ultimately. Of course that is worth it. I love how casually we talk about millions like it’s equivalent to nickels and dimes in our pockets or bedroom dresser. LOL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed again. I hope it doesn't lead to missing season games. But Dubas must stand tall for sake of team. And I want best for Mitch too great kid. Paul a little over the top but a good guy deep down.

Paul a little over the top?

Anyway totally agree, I would pay each meneber of the leafs $20m if it were my money and no cap.

Without a cap almost every nhl player is worth more than they currently get. At least every top 6 forward and top 4 d is

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Paul a little over the top?

Anyway totally agree, I would pay each meneber of the leafs $20m if it were my money and no cap.

Without a cap almost every nhl player is worth more than they currently get. At least every top 6 forward and top 4 d is
He gets upset quickly highly emotional guy but he gets it eventually. I am not sure how many bar tabs I covered for him but quite a few.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
imagine paying a wniger 10 mil lol. And people lost their minds about paying Kessel 8m. holy.

If Marner wants 10m, go dance the nutcracker kid cause you're out to lunch.

Reactions: Superstar

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My kid played on Vaughan Kings/Flyers with Paul's kid for a few years. Paul was not working then so when we went to rinks like Vaughan Sportplex with bars he often did not have the coin. It was a dad thing happens on most teams.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Leafs roll in money like no other team in the NHL. This is the real issue in signing players. Everyone knows it. So it is all about convincing guys that we have to work within the confines of the CBA. Again I would not want Dubas' job. Think of how hard he has it. Shanny and Babs make stupid money. Then he has to convince guys to work within the team CAP. And the guys say back to him well you guys can easily afford it. And Dubas says yes it is not about what we can afford it is about adhering to the NHL CBA and spreading the CAP amoungst all you guys so everyone can be happy. The back and forth is stupid. It will always be an issue and it will not go away until the CBA is fixed. Dubas must have migranes everyday i wonder how he keeps smiling through it all. Good for him.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Pretty self explanatory. Main boards hate us. Keep saying we cant afford our players (in same breath saying we overrate them). I quoted a guy quoting dubas saying we can and will. My post was directed at the haters lurking our board all scroogy about our success

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
But if he were honest he would say something more along the lines of... I leveraged the cap the team had available at the time and beat them in a battle of attrition. I got approximately 1m per year over what the initial offer was, and so, financially I made a good choice (And so can you).
The Athletic did a good unbiased analysis of Nylander's actual worth. It ranged $6.7-7.2m. Getting Him At $6.9m was decent. $6m (reported initial Leafs ask) was a semi-lowball offer. $8.5m (Nylander camp initial ask) was madness. Dubas got a fair deal, didn't make a bad trade, and got Nylander secured for our coming cup run. Loading his contract up so it is super-tradeable, also adds value. The process seems to have taken a significant toll on Nylander and he is now warning his mates not to do the same. Dubas played it well.

Reactions: Menzinger

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Nylander offers advice to Matthews, Marner: Get new deals done before season starts

After William Nylander's well-documented holdout to begin the year, he's experienced when it comes to contract negotiations, so much so that the Toronto Maple Leafswinger is offering advice to fellow teammates and pending restricted free agents Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner.

"Just get it done before the season starts," Nylander said to TSN's Gino Reda when asked if he had any words of wisdom. "That's probably the one thing you'd want, to get it out of the way."

(more story after the link)
Nice. Dubas holding his ground on negotiations and fighting just as hard as Nylander on this sent a nice signal to Marner and Matthews (and now Kapanen), that the Leafs are willing to let contract negotiations drag out as far as they need to go in order to come to a contract they can swallow. Hopefully this means both Matthews and Marner come in with reasonable numbers (anything under 10 for Marner and under 12 for Matthews would be spectacular) and we wrap this up quickly.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
According to Bill Watters, who used to work for (and is still friends with) Cliff Fletcher (who works for the team) said that this deal was on the table in the summer.

On NHL Network Radio last week.

Have a tough time believing this deal was on the table since its unique structure only really works because of the quirks of signing the contract in December and the (slight) cap advantage it gives us moving forward.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Have a tough time believing this deal was on the table since its unique structure only really works because of the quirks of signing the contract in December and the (slight) cap advantage it gives us moving forward.
I think he meant 6 x $7M. Which is essentially what this deal is.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Since Matthews has entered the league no player has as many G/60 as Matthews, more than Laine, more than Ovie, more than Tarasenko, more than Kucherov, more than everyone in the world, believe the hype, he's that good.

Matthews is good, but he's not McDavid good...I've watched quite a few Oilers games, and McDavid is carrying the Oilers on his back consistently. Pay him $11 million per and I'm happy, though I'd rather it be $10.5 million.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If I told you that Dubas could sign Matty today for 8 years for 12.75M and Marner for 10.25M for 8 years would you do the deal today?

Or would you continue the negotiations in hopes of securing a better deal down the line?

Curious how the wannabie GMs would play out this scenario ....

That's way too much money. Look at what Wheeler got as a UFA...I think Marner is a good comparable. And Matthews is not as good as McDavid.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That's way too much money. Look at what Wheeler got as a UFA...I think Marner is a good comparable. And Matthews is not as good as McDavid.
Again agreed. Still not sure who is/will be better player between McJesus and Matty though. It may be clear to you but it is not for me. And I swore when Connor was 6 after watching him on ice with a skills coach for 10 minutes that he would be the world #1. But after seeing Connor go up against Matty when the kids were like 12 i think and Connor did not dominate him i thought ummmm maybe there is another 97 who can best him. By the way they were by far and away the best 2 on ice and there were many current nhlers/ahlers on both teams playing in an elite AAA spring tournament final. Matty scored the winner in a tie game with less than a minute left straight up against McJesus. So in my mind it is far from decided. It could go either way. If I was betting my own money then I would put it on Matty. He has not had everything given to him (ice, PP and linemates) like Connor and a little bad luck on injury side.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Matthews is good, but he's not McDavid good...I've watched quite a few Oilers games, and McDavid is carrying the Oilers on his back consistently. Pay him $11 million per and I'm happy, though I'd rather it be $10.5 million.

He's carrying the Oil because the Oil are that bad not because he is that much better than other super stars.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Athletic did a good unbiased analysis of Nylander's actual worth. It ranged $6.7-7.2m. Getting Him At $6.9m was decent. $6m (reported initial Leafs ask) was a semi-lowball offer. $8.5m (Nylander camp initial ask) was madness. Dubas got a fair deal, didn't make a bad trade, and got Nylander secured for our coming cup run. Loading his contract up so it is super-tradeable, also adds value. The process seems to have taken a significant toll on Nylander and he is now warning his mates not to do the same. Dubas played it well.

I don't believe they are right. Pasta gave 2 years UFA. He is ahead of Nylander. Ehlers is right there and is making far less.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I get that the guy is a few months behind everyone else and will take time to catch up from a scoring perspective but his effort has been very Kessel-like, playing Ole Ole with his stick when stick checking opponents, floating back into the zone, greedy with the puck/ trying to do too much with the puck, those things are not because he is 2 months behind, those things are because he is playing a lazy "me first" game... he's better than this lazy guy we have been seeing on the ice..

I was just trolling with my previous post. Im not worried about nylander at all. I think hes going to massively exceed his contract throughout the seasons. Its the playoffs we shall see. Expect a big game from nylander coming up.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Kucherovs max term, 9.5 mill per season contract starts next year. A contract in which every year bought out is a UFA year. The idea that Marner, coming off an ELC is going to be making more than him is crazy.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I was just trolling with my previous post. Im not worried about nylander at all. I think hes going to massively exceed his contract throughout the seasons. Its the playoffs we shall see. Expect a big game from nylander coming up.
Willy is gonna have a monster night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->