Trade: [NYJ/GB] Aaron Rodgers, 15OA, 170OA for 13OA, 42OA, 207OA, conditional 2024 2nd

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
I think Rodgers plays at least 65% of the plays, takes his $60M and retires, and the Pack gets the Jet's 2024 first rounder.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Horrible trade for the Jets. The vax liar Rodgers has won as many conference titles as Rex Grossman, one, and that was in his prime. He turns 40 December 2nd.

.......... How many rings or MVPs does Grossman have?

Sucks to see Rodgfers go but we knew this was coming. Got a decent return.

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
GB gave Rodgers a quarter $B, had new and young WRs, and he refused to show up for voluntary workouts. Will he do it again?

In the smallest market GB reporters have to be careful or the team will limit their access. In the largest market NYC teams can't control the media. There are rumors that Rodgers believes in a 9/11 conspiracy theory. Will he be asked about that? Will he be able to handle the powerful NYC media that will ask whatever they want?

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
The X factor here is his health. The decline from last year wasn't just getting old, throughout the year we heard so many rumblings/rumours/reports that he was banged up in multiple places. In the last few years he's gotten dinged up in his ribs, thumb, multiple parts of his leg, toes, head, etc. He admitted last year that he was playing through a broken thumb.

He can still stand in the pocket and sling it but if that line doesn't hold up then things could get miserable fast.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The X factor here is his health. The decline from last year wasn't just getting old, throughout the year we heard so many rumblings/rumours/reports that he was banged up in multiple places. In the last few years he's gotten dinged up in his ribs, thumb, multiple parts of his leg, toes, head, etc. He admitted last year that he was playing through a broken thumb.

He can still stand in the pocket and sling it but if that line doesn't hold up then things could get miserable fast.
So, definitely, expect the Jets to draft OL in round 1 and maybe even round 2 to add depth or get a good blocking TE in Washington from Georgia.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
GB gave Rodgers a quarter $B, had new and young WRs, and he refused to show up for voluntary workouts. Will he do it again?

In the smallest market GB reporters have to be careful or the team will limit their access. In the largest market NYC teams can't control the media. There are rumors that Rodgers believes in a 9/11 conspiracy theory. Will he be asked about that? Will he be able to handle the powerful NYC media that will ask whatever they want?

No way can Rodgers control the NYC media, if he thinks he can he’s fooling himself.

Sep 19, 2008
Watching the opening presser now sounds like Aaron has been working on his stand up material

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

being reported that he will participate in the full off-season program.

Reactions: Elvis P

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Shows you the power he had over GB.

I would imagine as part of the conversation he had with the Jets when GB granted them permission to speak with AR, that they would have told him, we need you to be at OTAs. Otherwise, we won't do this deal. Jets can't afford a slow start. AFC is brutal.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Shows you the power he had over GB.

I would imagine as part of the conversation he had with the Jets when GB granted them permission to speak with AR, that they would have told him, we need you to be at OTAs. Otherwise, we won't do this deal. Jets can't afford a slow start. AFC is brutal.

AFC is gonna be exciting stuff this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
AFC is gonna be exciting stuff this year.
Absolutely. 7 teams get in.
KC, CIN, BUF, JAX the front runners for the division titles.
WC - any of LAC, MIA, PIT, DEN, LV, NYJ, NE, CLE and if Jackson re-signs BAL. Only 3 of these teams would get in.
Only expect Ten, Hou, Indy to not make it. Only if 1 of these teams sweeps the other 2 to get 4 wins would they put themselves firmly in the WC hunt.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
History won’t be kind to the people who thought Wilson was a 1st round pick much less a 2OV pick. That was the most obvious blunder since JaMarcus Russell. Maybe more obvious. That’s why the Jets can’t screw around, because they have a team that shouldn’t be scared of anyone.

I remember seeing Wilson in the teens through the whole process up until maybe a month before and then it was like "No he's definitely going #2 now"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I remember seeing Wilson in the teens through the whole process up until maybe a month before and then it was like "No he's definitely going #2 now"
One of the stupidest things I ever heard and it happens all the time. I don’t understand how anyone watched him play and the competition he faced and thought they were watching a franchise QB. And the Jets braintrust came from the Eagles they should be reasonable to trust - and they are, they’ve done a great job putting their team together. And I know what they did, they thought they saw Josh Allen, who has measurables and tools despite not-good competition, had ability (to be fair I was not a believer in him either) but had better numbers.

I always say that if he’s your guy then get your guy, but such a huge and obvious blunder is why they were forced to go all-in on Rodgers.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Media also needs to chill with this whole, "the NFC North must be ecstatic! Great day for them" talk. I can only speak for myself as a fan of one of those teams but I wasn't worried about a 40 year old QB coming off a bad season where he missed the playoffs one bit. In fact, this is worse for those teams because it helps the Packers. The alternative was them having a 40 year old diva QB, not getting to evaluate Love, and no extra picks. Now they have a lot of options and are set up better for the future.
This fellow Vikings fan agrees with you. Another angle I'll add to this is while I was looking forward to the 3 decade run of Favre and Rodgers at QB, I think the Packers hurt themselves (and in turn helped the rest of the NFC North) by holding onto Rodgers one season too late. When looking at the context of last season, that was the best timing for trading Rodgers.

Following the 2021 season, the Packers had an unfavorable cap situation and couldn't improve their team much. Meanwhile, Adams was a free agent. and they couldn't afford to keep him. The best plan would've been to franchise Adams then trade him (as they did) and also trade Rodgers. At bare minimum they get as much of a return that the Broncos got for Wilson (in fact Rodgers likely gets traded to Denver instead of Russ), It would've given the Packers 3 R1 and 3 R2 picks in 2022 as well as 2 R1 and 2 R2 picks in 2023. Plus they'd have a season of Love starting before having to make a decision on his 5th year option, leading to a more informed decision. This would've been waiving the white flag on 2022, but the season still ended up going poorly anyway. Now the rebuild won't be as good as it could've been due to keeping Rodgers a year too late.

Reactions: KapG

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This fellow Vikings fan agrees with you. Another angle I'll add to this is while I was looking forward to the 3 decade run of Favre and Rodgers at QB, I think the Packers hurt themselves (and in turn helped the rest of the NFC North) by holding onto Rodgers one season too late. When looking at the context of last season, that was the best timing for trading Rodgers.

Following the 2021 season, the Packers had an unfavorable cap situation and couldn't improve their team much. Meanwhile, Adams was a free agent. and they couldn't afford to keep him. The best plan would've been to franchise Adams then trade him (as they did) and also trade Rodgers. At bare minimum they get as much of a return that the Broncos got for Wilson (in fact Rodgers likely gets traded to Denver instead of Russ), It would've given the Packers 3 R1 and 3 R2 picks in 2022 as well as 2 R1 and 2 R2 picks in 2023. Plus they'd have a season of Love starting before having to make a decision on his 5th year option, leading to a more informed decision. This would've been waiving the white flag on 2022, but the season still ended up going poorly anyway. Now the rebuild won't be as good as it could've been due to keeping Rodgers a year too late.
You are most assuredly more worried about how this turned out for them than they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad