Trade: [NYJ/GB] Aaron Rodgers, 15OA, 170OA for 13OA, 42OA, 207OA, conditional 2024 2nd

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
The Pack trade the 15th OA pick for the 13th OA pick.

If Rodgers plays 65% of the plays, GB gets the Jets 2024 first round pick. I love this trade for the Pack!

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Looks like I'm the only one, but I think the Jets did really well, here. Two first round spots and a bunch of later-round picks? Only real value they gave up was the (likely) first rounder in next year's draft.

Rodgers isn't going to bring them a Super Bowl, but he's the best QB they've had in forever (yes, even current state).

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Looks like I'm the only one, but I think the Jets did really well, here. Two first round spots and a bunch of later-round picks? Only real value they gave up was the (likely) first rounder in next year's draft.

Rodgers isn't going to bring them a Super Bowl, but he's the best QB they've had in forever (yes, even current state).
42nd overall isn't nothing, GB should be able to get a good player there. And even if it just becomes a second next year, odds are that pick would be pretty high in the 2nd too given that would mean Rodgers isn't playing and the team probably struggles again.

I think the bolded is the whole thing though. Ostensibly a team making this move is going all-in to push themselves over the top, but with Rodgers this move makes the Jets the...5th(?) best team in the conference? I totally understand that they couldn't run it back with Zach Wilson and they are undoubtedly better now than they were at this point yesterday. I'm just not sure to what end, not to mention what the off ramp looks like when/if Rodgers is only there 1 or 2 years.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Good for the Jets, I can see them maybe getting that 7 spot in the AFC that would end the playoff drought. They have the roster that can do it.

That said, Rodgers is about to be 40. The Jets desperately in the next 2-3 years need to draft and develop a franchise QB.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
42nd overall isn't nothing, GB should be able to get a good player there. And even if it just becomes a second next year, odds are that pick would be pretty high in the 2nd too given that would mean Rodgers isn't playing and the team probably struggles again.

I think the bolded is the whole thing though. Ostensibly a team making this move is going all-in to push themselves over the top, but with Rodgers this move makes the Jets the...5th(?) best team in the conference? I totally understand that they couldn't run it back with Zach Wilson and they are undoubtedly better now than they were at this point yesterday. I'm just not sure to what end, not to mention what the off ramp looks like when/if Rodgers is only there 1 or 2 years.
The move is not about winning the SB, it is about selling merch and making sure the Jets stay relevant in an hyper-competitive sports market.

They are firmly behind the Yankees and the Giants... and right now the Knicks.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

It's bad because they shouldn't have had to give up very much. Shocked Green Bay's IDIOT GM was able to get a 1st and 2nd.

Good for the Jets, I can see them maybe getting that 7 spot in the AFC that would end the playoff drought. They have the roster that can do it.

That said, Rodgers is about to be 40. The Jets desperately in the next 2-3 years need to draft and develop a franchise QB.
Will it be deja vu for Rodgers and the Jets draft a QB with their 1st pick instead of adding weapons for Rodgers??:sarcasm::sarcasm:

• Wow
Reactions: HisIceness

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's bad because they shouldn't have had to give up very much. Shocked Green Bay's IDIOT GM was able to get a 1st and 2nd.

Will it be deja vu for Rodgers and the Jets draft a QB with their 1st pick instead of adding weapons for Rodgers??:sarcasm::sarcasm:
No QB likely at #15. Besides, they need an OL as they can't bank on Becton in round 1. Not familiar with their TE group, but they have Wilson and Lazard outside. I'd probably see if the #3 or #4 TE is still on the board in round 2.

I am surprised that it's only 65% of the snaps for the extra pick. Figured it would be like 80%.

I have to see what the cap charges the Jets will be taking are. If it's minimal, and by that it would be $30 million, then I can better understand the higher compensation.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No QB likely at #15. Besides, they need an OL as they can't bank on Becton in round 1. Not familiar with their TE group, but they have Wilson and Lazard outside. I'd probably see if the #3 or #4 TE is still on the board in round 2.

I am surprised that it's only 65% of the snaps for the extra pick. Figured it would be like 80%.

I have to see what the cap charges the Jets will be taking are. If it's minimal, and by that it would be $30 million, then I can better understand the higher compensation.
Yes. Getting him with a cheap cap would explain the comp.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
AR's money is due to him just before the start of the season, so the Jets will have spoken to AR about adjusting that amount. But, it really does come down to the cap hit they eat in 2023 and 2024-2025 if there is any dead money past this upcoming season that they need to eat.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I'm still very surprised at the number of people that bought into the narrative that the Jets had all the leverage. It was asinine from the beginning, it clearly didn't take into account a likely Packers rebuild/retool year upcoming that afforded them the opportunity to be patient. They don't need to wheel and deal or sign anyone else, it's clearly not a compete year. Theoretically there was nothing stopping them from waiting until the start of the season. Aaron sits? They wanted to play Love anyway! Can't get 13 anymore? Get a kings ransom of picks in 2024 and 2025!

The biggest indictment here is that the Jets didn't understand this and Gutekunst knew it right from the beginning. I haven't always sung Gute's praises as a Packers fan but he did good work here.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
If Rodgers retires after this season, the Jets get no compensation. This is a horrible trade for the Jets.

This just isn’t true. They get a 2nd round pick if he doesn’t play a game. It changes to a 1st if he plays 65%+ of the snaps.

I am surprised this happened before June 1st due to the cap costs. But when I check Overthecap the numbers don’t look the same as this did before and it appears they are reworking the contract somehow to make it better for GB.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This just isn’t true. They get a 2nd round pick if he doesn’t play a game. It changes to a 1st if he plays 65%+ of the snaps.

I am surprised this happened before June 1st due to the cap costs. But when I check Overthecap the numbers don’t look the same as this did before and it appears they are reworking the contract somehow to make it better for GB.
Is Rodgers officially a Jet? Not sure how reworking a deal now impacts the Packers if the trade has been consumated?

Figure, it would only impact the Jets if he reworks the rest of his deal. GB takes the hit on the difference between what they have paid him vs what they have taken as a cap it over the years.

Marco 85

Jan 13, 2021
The Jets turned 44 million into a signing bonus.
Rogers cap hit is only 15.7 million for this season.
Thank you Woody.

How they use their first and second round picks.

Will determine who they can trade for.
They are definitely not done adding players.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Rodgers is going to learn really fast that NY media is not going to worship him and make excuses for him.

It will be interesting to see how Rodgers handles it when he can no longer blame everyone else for his failures

Reactions: Elvis P

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rodgers is going to learn really fast that NY media is not going to worship him and make excuses for him.

It will be interesting to see how Rodgers handles it when he can no longer blame everyone else for his failures
See how committed he is. AFC is tough. So he needs to hit the ground running with his new weapons.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I just don't see this working out. This isn't the Jets team his cheesehead predecessor Favre walked into, it's a much more dysfunctional franchise than back then, and though Favre is a POS he was never as much of a primadonna as Rodgers. Also even though the pressure in NYC is also insane, the NFL in general along with sports media pressure has gotten even bigger since then. But I get it, the Jets are throwing a hail mary and want to be relevant.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just don't see this working out. This isn't the Jets team his cheesehead predecessor Favre walked into, it's a much more dysfunctional franchise than back then, and though Favre is a POS he was never as much of a primadonna as Rodgers. Also even though the pressure in NYC is also insane, the NFL in general along with sports media pressure has gotten even bigger since then. But I get it, the Jets are throwing a hail mary and want to be relevant.
No shot at PO this season if they didn’t go Rodgers. Mahomes, Herbert,
Payton with Wilson, Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, plus still have Tua and their weapons, Watson shaking off rust, Steelers always tough.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s a good bet that the Jets open the season on SNF, they have the nfc east this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad