Confirmed with Link: NYI-VAN Beauvillier, 1st (2023 Top 12 Protected), Raty for Bo Horvat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Horvat leaves islanders, signs with vancouver as a ufa, Gets captain back.
4D chess!

Reactions: Indiana

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Apparently it is pronounced Rah-too.
Thats pretty good.

How is it pronounced?

Scouching does a great job here.

I still hold that you guys should not worry about how you pronounce the names of Finns. We understand these are weird for you guys. Also when we are skating on the ponds pretending we are in the NHL we pretend the announcers are pronouncing our names with an American accent.

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
With Horvat, I expect the Islanders to make the playoffs and get a pick about 18th. Unless of course, they make another trade before the trade deadline. I am a Canuck fan, but this forces them to sign Horvat to an extension. It is also a sign of a team that is trying to go for it this year. Not sure this move will get them there, but it certainly improves them.
NYI will not make the playoff (2pts behind with played 3 more games), and they will give this year's pick to Canucks if Horvat walks.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think we hosed them.

Teams where the Isles are in the standings don't typically make a move like this so we weren't going to get a higher pick. This is a deep draft and the 13th-20th is probably the best asset in the deal.

I'm not going to pretend I have a scouting report on Raty but the fact that he is trending up makes it a good risk. This is a 20 yr old that has played NHL games and not looked completely lost. He has good size, hands and IQ - his skating is a bit of a mystery.

Quite happy about this deal.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Funny coming from Drance who has been advocating for getting draft picks.

Well here is a mid 1st rounder in what is supposingly deepest draft in years and the reaction is well it could be anything!
Yeah no shit a draft pick could be anything.
You don't know where this draft pick will be.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not sure what to make of this trade, don't know enough to say for sure.

Can't say I'm a fan of Alv's "it's like we're getting 3 first rounders" comment.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think they leapt on an option that was time sensitive.

Any trade was going to involve money in. I would still accept this deal if we had taken Bailey instead of Beauvillier (but been less happy with it) because that would be a true dump.

If we wait another month and the Islanders are ten points out, they're not making this deal.

So now you're backing into a Lysell and the 30th pick overall return while probably still taking Craig Smith to make it work.

Whether explicit in the trade or not, the fact that we are getting probably 13th to 20th overall in a great draft where I almost guarantee you won't see another pick in that range move, or else an unprotected 2024 first from a team who is currently outside of the playoffs is absolutely a return for 25% retention for 30 games.
My problem with the trade isn’t the pick (I like the upside a lot where even if it ends up being 32 from the Isles winning the cup, that’s just unfortunate luck rather than a bad gamble). I also don’t follow prospects so can’t comment on Raty.

1. If they want to do a retool, we don’t have any assets that will get us impact C/D. They did not get any quick turnaround pieces. There is nothing in UFA either.

2. I don’t think they got paid enough for the salary involved. In a world where this is the NBA and salary matching/expirings are seen as the norm/valuable, then okay - whatever. But in the NHL, there are generally huge costs associated with freeing cap.

I am - simply put - very confused.

Demko reportedly wanting to move on and trading Bo is telling me one thing and one thing only - you have to trade JTM before his NMC kicks in.

And if they do that, I do not care about this Horvat trade. I always thought the complaints about Davidson’s offseason were stupid given he just wanted the team to be shit. If we are going to go the same route, then I don’t care. If we are trying to be competitive ASAP, this is very strange.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well watching Horvat respond saying he expected to be a Canuck for life is interesting looking at his career avgs probably had a fair deal or close should have signed did his agent get that memo lol.
Anyway he is out of here hoping next moves make longer term impacts a few more spots in early rounds in drafts over next 2 years would help.

It was probably a fair expectation. It’s not like the Canucks didn’t want to extend him. Players of his calibre, productivity, status as captain, and age don’t often get traded without there being a trade request.

Reactions: bbud

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Not sure what you guys were expecting for a return, but this is pretty solid for someone that teams knew we were unable to sign.

- We get a middle 1st round pick in a VERY deep draft, the pick alone could be better than Horvat or as good. Anyone who thinks we were going to get an UNPROTECTED 1st in THIS draft is literally smoking crack. There isn't a single GM is this league that would not protect a 1st, particularly in this draft unless they were absolutely sure they weren't missing the playoffs.. I don't think NYI are going to slip down further than 13th anyways. Lou is making "Need to get into the playoffs or I lose my job" trades now. The fact that we got a 1st that could be as low as it could be is big, because almost everyone though we were getting a BOSTON 1st or something similar and picking like 30th.

- Raty is NOT a bad prospect either... pull your head out of your ass. This just screams "I'm going to make shit up because I'm mad". Top end, Raty could very well be a 2nd line C. He's skyrocketed up the prospects charts this year and has done very well in the AHL.

- Beauvillier is likely a sign that either Garland or Boeser are getting traded. Or, we could still flip him before this TDL or (more likely) next years with retaining for a higher pick and you KNEW we were going to have to take salary back... this is how deals are done in the cap era.

Best of all, this is a good sign that we have management actually moving into rebuilt mode as Raty and the 1st will be people that will be used a pieces to build around Pettersson and Hughes.

One thing I missed when I did my writeup, even though I had it written down, is that the cap dump we brought back is off the books next year and with the amount they are predicting the cap space to jump up, plus losing Myers, we will suddenly have a tremendous amount of flexability. If this team is doing the rebuilt we hope they're doing, they have received a very solid pick, and decent prospect, and a winger who if he can return to 20g+ pace could net us another pick at the TDL next year.

If we get another high pick in next years draft to add to our 2 this year, plus we have the cap space from losing Pearson (3.25m), Myers (6.0m), Beauvillier (4.15m), Poolman (2.5m) plus estimated 4m rise in cap next year we're looking at basically 20m in cap space, probably close to 17m after Pettersson is resigned.

I think our cap (besides OEL) is all coming off the books at just the right time when we can (hopefully) pick up decent players to add to our team to solidify much needed help in specific areas.... like defence.

I also like the fact that Allvin is immediately assigning Raty to the AHL. He's not going to bring the kid into this environment.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
One thing I missed when I did my writeup, even though I had it written down, is that the cap dump we brought back is off the books next year and with the amount they are predicting the cap space to jump up, plus losing Myers, we will suddenly have a tremendous amount of flexability. If this team is doing the rebuilt we hope they're doing, they have received a very solid pick, and decent prospect, and a winger who if he can return to 20g+ pace could net us another pick at the TDL next year.

If we get another high pick in next years draft to add to our 2 this year, plus we have the cap space from losing Pearson (3.25m), Myers (6.0m), Beauvillier (4.15m), Poolman (2.5m) plus estimated 4m rise in cap next year we're looking at basically 20m in cap space, probably close to 17m after Pettersson is resigned.

I think our cap (besides OEL) is all coming off the books at just the right time when we can (hopefully) pick up decent players to add to our team to solidify much needed help in specific areas.... like defence.

I also like the fact that Allvin is immediately assigning Raty to the AHL. He's not going to bring the kid into this environment.
Myers has another year after this. Are you talking about a two year timeline?

Wait i re read and i think you are.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Is Raty going to stay up with you guys?
No, PA announced he will be reporting to Abbotsford.

Putting him in the NHL would have been a bad move anyways. It's not a situation for players to thrive in, and our prospects/coaching/player development staff finally seem to have something good going in Abbotsford.

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia

I hope they actually work on a 3 year plan like this. Suck this season, go young and let whatever happens happen next season, then shoot for the moon in 2024/25.

The worst thing that could happen is if at the draft they pull another OEL and try to make a trade to be competitive next season by mortgaging the future. With how the draft is looking, if we hit with our two picks, they're in the lineup for 2024/25.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Absolute crazy, the islanders are trying to catch Pittsburgh and Washington for the final slots at the moment with Florida also on this race.
My theory—Canucks were already talking to Washington and Pittsburgh about trading them a winger like Boeser/Garland.

By making the Isles more competitive, it creates a better market for the Canucks wingers.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Brooklyn is dope when you have money.
Bo has a family with 2 young kids. If he signs with NYI (I wouldn’t if I were him), he’ll probably get a place out on the island. There are some really nice neighborhoods there with excellent schools - Great Neck area for example. For reference, that’s the part of Long Island where Jay Gatsby lived. Also Jordan Belfort from Wolf of Wall Street. Funnily enough both roles played by Di Caprio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad