Confirmed with Link: NYI-VAN Beauvillier, 1st (2023 Top 12 Protected), Raty for Bo Horvat

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bo has a family with 2 young kids. If he signs with NYI (I wouldn’t if I were him), he’ll probably get a place out on the island. There are some really nice neighborhoods there with excellent schools - Great Neck area for example. For reference, that’s the part of Long Island where Jay Gatsby lived. Also Jordan Belfort from Wolf of Wall Street. Funnily enough both roles played by Di Caprio.
the owners are amazing. the building is amazing the there are fantastic places to live out there. I believe they will sign him, 8/75.

Reactions: Indiana

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
the owners are amazing. the building is amazing the there are fantastic places to live out there. I believe they will sign him, 8/75.
I have nothing against NYI or LI. When we were making the move out of the city, we considered a couple places on the island (zoned for Syosset school district). Opted in the end for Westchester because of commute. I've also taken my boys out to Belmont to take in a game and I agree, it's a nice building.

It's just that Bo has had it rough his entire pro career playing for a no-hope team managed by a crayon-eating front office. NYI I see as nearing the twilight of their window and if I were Bo, I would think long and hard about the painful rebuild that is to come.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
What are the chances that NYI fail to make ground in the next 12 games, contract talks go nowhere, and Horvat is dealt at the TDL for a better return?

has this ever happened? The reason why they traded for him is to make the playoffs and go on a run.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think some people are overrating Horvat a bit. He is great at faceoffs and on the PP but he’s having a career year and for once we sold high. Other GMs know that his 20% shooting percentage is not sustainable. His defensive play is decent but he’s not a shutdown center.
We got a mid first in a strong draft, a prospect with upside and the ability to develop into a solid two way 2C/3C and a winger who’s development has stalled but who could bounce back. I think it’s a decent deal. Some of the fantasy proposals may have set expectations too high as there was no way we were getting a sure fire blue chip project for a 60 point Horvat as a rental.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
BlOw the zone Horvat

And no I don’t get the paper clip name
"One red paperclip is a website created by Canadian blogger Kyle MacDonald, who traded his way from a single red paperclip to a house in a series of fourteen online trades over the course of a year. "

Reactions: mossey3535

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’ve missed out on the past couple pages but I thought about the market and I think we did really well, arguably better then the Kevin Fiala Trade, better than Debrincat/Dach and likely not far off on the Eichel trade ( Peyton Krebs a Better prospect, the 1st Islanders have valued more than NYI first and Tuch Vs Beau - Tuch the better of the two )

Bo’s return was closer to the top of the market

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Financially rhe diff between doing an 8 vs 7 year deal probably ends up being roughly half the AAV in real dollars.

Say Bo was asking $8 mill per for 8 years. That’s $64 mill. Over 7 years his AAV likely goes to $8.5 to $8.75 mill. That’s anywhere from $59.5 mill to $61.25 mill.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Horvat is underrated by this fanbase if anything.

Is he a 60 goal scorer? No. But nobody is really selling him as such.

He’s a top 20 goal scoring Center over 4-6 seasons. Top 40 in points. Top face off guy. Plays top 10 minutes at the position.

All mostly with linemates like Pearson, Hoglander, Baertschi etc

People are only looking at his next deal through the lens of this terrible cap structure and prospect deficiency.

I do find it funny that JT Miller breaking out at a similar age had been accepted but Horvat’s is “going to fall off a cliff”.

An 8 year deal to Horvat expires when he’s 34. Kadri just locked in for 7 years at 32 lol.

I’m fine with the return just to put that out there. That’s what rentals return. I’m just disappointed at having to do this after their half way measures of the past year and signing the older more volatile personality.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You don't know where this draft pick will be.
I’ve already said I misread the quote. Jeez

Bo has a family with 2 young kids. If he signs with NYI (I wouldn’t if I were him), he’ll probably get a place out on the island. There are some really nice neighborhoods there with excellent schools - Great Neck area for example. For reference, that’s the part of Long Island where Jay Gatsby lived. Also Jordan Belfort from Wolf of Wall Street. Funnily enough both roles played by Di Caprio.
Yeah I have colleagues that live out of the island and life sounds fun in the NYC area

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
To put an emphasis on cap savings, in Sept this trade will look like this:

Horvat for Beau, Raty, a mid 1st and $4M+ in cap space.

Obviously we need to see who the pick is and they might spend some of that cap space.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I know there's rumors flying around about an extension in place with Horvat and the NYI. I don't know why but I genuinely hope he doesn't lock up long term there.

Not because I want him to come back here or anything. Just the guy put up with a ton of losing here and it just feels like the islanders are at the ledge of a cliff that the Canucks fell off of a few seasons ago.

Hold out Bo and sign in Detroit or another team with legitimate potential.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
To put an emphasis on cap savings, in Sept this trade will look like this:

Horvat for Beau, Raty, a mid 1st and $4M+ in cap space.

Obviously we need to see who the pick is and they might spend some of that cap space.
This is a weird way of putting it. Had they not taken Beauvillier and just took the prospect and pick would you be calling it $8m+ in cap space?

Horvat was at $5.5m. They brought in a player at $4.125.

They don’t really have any excess cap space and have a massive crater at center ice.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is a weird way of putting it. Had they not taken Beauvillier and just took the prospect and pick would you be calling it $8m+ in cap space?

Horvat was at $5.5m. They brought in a player at $4.125.

They don’t really have any excess cap space and have a massive crater at center ice.
IMO that’s how it should be viewed. This year is meaningless. It’s a write off. Signing Horvat long term would have eaten that cap space for years to come. The retention for the next 10 weeks isn’t moving any needle.

I could even suggest that, in two years, the trade could look like Raty, the 20 year old player they select with the first, and the $8.5M RHD that they sign with Horvat’s money. If it plays out that way, it will be a massive win.

It’s about thinking longer term than the 10 weeks remaining in this season. This team is going nowhere in the next 10 weeks. And arguably the main objective should be to improve draft position, another benefit if this trade.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
An 8 year deal to Horvat expires when he’s 34. Kadri just locked in for 7 years at 32 lol.
Bo is 27 now, 28 in April.

So, 8 year deal finishes when he is 36. Context wise, the majority of the draft class of 2005 will turn 36 in 2023. talking the likes of Sid, Jack Johnson, Kopitar, M. Staal, for context purposes.

Reactions: Indiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad