Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston re-signs for four years, $1M AAV one-way

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
After seeing the things said about Tavares, I am all for dumping on the Islanders fanbase, but I don't see the issue here. It's 1M. If he sucks then waive him and it's no big deal. Islanders won't be a cap team for 5 years anyway.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Lou just watched his high flying Leafs team get their asses handed to them in the playoffs because they had diddly squat for toughness. Guess he's not planning to make that mistake again.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I know hockey. No one is expecting him to score 20 goals but I think it’s fair to expect 10 goals while being a physical presence and playing responsible defensively. This kid understands his role and he doesn’t make mistakes when he’s on the ice. As a 4th Line winger you can do a heck of a lot worse than this kid.

There's honestly not much worse you can do than playing Ross Johnston 10 minutes a night. He's Tanner Glass 2.0.

Can't score, generate shots, your team will be caved in when he's out there. But he can punch faces and eat some too.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Lou just watched his high flying Leafs team get their asses handed to them in the playoffs because they had diddly squat for toughness. Guess he's not planning to make that mistake again.
Yeah somehow I don’t think that’s his plan here.. considering he signed both Leo and traded for Matt Martin.. who were both on the leafs lol. This is a tank move cause their org is badly set up

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Yeah somehow I don’t think that’s his plan here.. considering he signed both Leo and traded for Matt Martin.. who were both on the leafs lol. This is a tank move cause their org is badly set up
Martin didn't dress for the playoffs and leo was injured

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There's honestly not much worse you can do than playing Ross Johnston 10 minutes a night. He's Tanner Glass 2.0.

Can't score, generate shots, your team will be caved in when he's out there. But he can punch faces and eat some too.

Just curious, how many islanders games have you watched in which Ross Johnston has played in?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Devils will be up like 4-0, so who cares?
I'd imagine the Devils if the reason they are up 4-0 is the goons knocked Hirschier or Hall out of the season. I doubt the Islanders care about the 4-0, they look like a lottery team this year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How many do you need though?

That’s a fair question. My feeling is Lou and Trotz are trying to create a certain culture. Losing Tavares changed the islanders game plan. The plan now is to Build around Barzal. I suspect Lou is bringing in high character grinding type players to help establish and set a tone. There isn’t any top6 guys available to sign. The length of the contracts are a bit odd but the cap hits aren’t crippling.

Reactions: Notsince67

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I thought about this deal trying to figure the reasoning , well all I can say is kickbacks only makes sense .

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That’s a fair question. My feeling is Lou and Trotz are trying to create a certain culture. Losing Tavares changed the islanders game plan. The plan now is to Build around Barzal. I suspect Lou is bringing in high character grinding type players to help establish and set a tone. There isn’t any top6 guys available to sign. The length of the contracts are a bit odd but the cap hits aren’t crippling.

We're going to be bad, but we'll be a bitch to play against. If you cross the line with Barzal and the other kids, we have multiple bash brothers looking out for them. It is what it is.

'At least we're not getting killed out there...'

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Martin didn't dress for the playoffs and leo was injured

Good eye, I guess you didn’t catch that the Leafs out-hit them in some of the games, it ended up being very close, as was the series, which was decided in the 3rd period of game 7.

You sell hot-takes for a living, or is this just a hobby?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Lamoriello's taken some quite odd decisions since arriving to the Isles. This guy's got 25 NHL games and 6 pts and you're signing him for 4 years? The AAV is negligible but still.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Oh, didn’t realize it went up lol
Yup.

Max buriable amount is league minimum + 375k

League minimum went up to 650k last season and remains at that for this season.

2019-2020 and 2020-2021 will have a league minimim of 700k, then 2021-2022 will be 750k.

Assuming no lockout, of course.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Not sure why the term is a big deal to people.

If he becomes unplayable you bury him in the AHL, if he turns out to be a good fourth liner you don't lose him to UFA within the next 4 years like what happened to Matt Martin.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Not sure why the term is a big deal to people.

If he becomes unplayable you bury him in the AHL, if he turns out to be a good fourth liner you don't lose him to UFA within the next 4 years like what happened to Matt Martin.
Who cares if you lose him to UFA? There will always be fourth liners available in UFA who are the same, if not better, and can be had for the same price.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
as if that makes a difference?

This isnt NHL 18, two way deals only affect payment

The cap hit threshold for players in the minors this year from memory is $1.025m, so the first $1.025m of any contract in the minors is exempt from the salary cap.

It's still a dumb contract, and it still costs real money in the minors, NYI aren't exactly TO when it comes to money problems (like where to store it all when the vaults are full).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
it's a symptom of the larger issue that Lou wants to commit long term to guys who are pretty redundant
Eh. The dude is what 23? If he loses his job in 2 seasons he provides vet presence and the fisticuffs attraction that works in the AHL.

I'm not overly fond of this type of player, but I don't think this is a bad deal. If anything it just makes the Martin acquisition seem totally unnecessary. I'd much rather commit 4 years to Johnston at this point as opposed to even 1 of Martin.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Who cares if you lose him to UFA? There will always be fourth liners available in UFA who are the same, if not better, and can be had for the same price.
And who cares if he becomes the worst hockey player ever? There's no downside. His contract can be buried for no cap hit. The new owners just gave Barry Trotz 25 million and Leo Komarov 12 million, I don't think they're worried about cash.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Wow you’re still in this? The doctors cleared him. Yeah Lou should have went against the Medical professionals

Indeed, that is precisely what happened. I mean, after all, Peluso was asked whether he was okay to play, and he said 'yeah', so Lou should not have any responsibility for anything that might've happened after that.

Oh yeah, :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad