Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston re-signs for four years, $1M AAV one-way

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
It does impact the cap (contract AAV minus minimum contract value).

It also impacts other areas indirectly: takes a roster spot from a possibly more deserving player and - as you touched on - may reduce ownerships willingness to spend on other areas of the team.

I recall all the same arguments when the Leafs re-signed Frazer McLaren and Colton Orr.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but since the contract is below 1.025 million, if he’s buried in the minors his contract has no bearing on the Islanders cap

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Totally forgot about Eberle. Still adding these guys you have like 15 or 16 NHL level forwards. How do you think this team will shape up? Trades coming?
Beauviller-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Ladd-Kevlar-Komarov
Martin-cizikas-clutterbuck
Filpula-ho sang

Waive Johnston and Khunackel. The four years dissuades teams from claiming Johnston.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wow!

12 pages on Ross Johnston... Dark times indeed
If he would've done this in July 1st he would've been okay, but Lou waited until nothing was happening to make a stupid deal that is now setting precedent for the rest of the prospects in NYI.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Capitals don't want their Cup-winning top-line RW fighting the Islanders' 13th forward, anyway. Tommy isn't dumb.
So what was Wilson's excuse in the past for ducking fights when he was the 3rd liner on a playoff choking team?

As if what happened months later in the playoffs has anything to do with Wilson running scared in that clip.

And your last sentence is completely proved false by the myriad dumb plays the guy has made in his career.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Totally forgot about Eberle. Still adding these guys you have like 15 or 16 NHL level forwards. How do you think this team will shape up? Trades coming?

I could see Nelson and or Clutterbuck leaving in a trade for a Dman.

I picture the line-up to be
Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Kovar-Bailey
Ladd-Filppula/Komarov-Ho-Sang
Johnston/Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Isles have 23,6 million of cap tied to the following players:

Andrew Ladd (5×5,5)
Cal Clutterbuck (5×3,5)
Casey Cizikas (3×3,35)
Leo Komarov (4×3)
Valtteri Filppula (1×2,75)
Matt Martin (2×2,5)
Jan Kovar (1×2)
Ross Johnston (4×1)

Taking Kovar out since he wasn't in the league last year these seven guys combined for 442 games scoring 51 goals. This is a weird team. Apart from like three or four players this team has no skill whatsoever. Atleast there's grit :dunno:
That's an expensive way to tank for Hughes.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Am I missing something? The guy can beat up every single player in the NHL minus MAYBE Reaves and Lucic, so he deserves to get crapped on by everyone on this website who has no idea what they're talking about.

He was on pace for a 20+ point season as a fourth liner who can steamroll and stick up for his teammates. And you people are mad about it? Jesus....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad