Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston re-signs for four years, $1M AAV one-way

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
This is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah Ross Johnston is going to stop trying and risk being sent to the AHL because what does he care, I mean he'll make the same amount.

As if:
1) A player doesn't have pride
2) A player doesn't care if he's riding a bus from Bridgeport to Utica and playing in front of 800 people on Mick Vukota Bobble Head night.

Players want to play in the NHL. If Johnston isn't good enough to do that, then he isn't good enough to do that, but it won't be because he thinks "Ah forget trying to hustle and getting injured. I'll just coast and be sent to the minors. No biggie".

Yeah, Johnson is also only 24. If he plays 300 NHL games over this current deal he'll be 28 and he'll probably get the biggest deal of his career. If he sits back on his laurels, this will be the biggest deal of his career.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Not sure why people aren't acknowledging the obvious tank set-up Lou is putting together here?

He's probably overpaying fourth liners so they can hit the cap floor over the next few years based on whatever they're projecting.

Given the term on these guys, seems like they're gonna go for a three year tank job, just enough time to go into their new arena with elite prospects.

I'd be happy if I was an isles fan.

The Isles are bringing back over 220 goals in roster player from last season, and have swapped in 60 pts versus the 110 pts that left. Between Ho-Sang and possibly Kovar, not to mention actually NHL coaching, the different of 50 points won't be too bad, especially when the goal-against should drop dramatically.

I don't think Tanking is in the cards.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
1-way/2-way absolutely does matter, and it matters a ton. With 2-way, you're talking about a ~5x pay increase when he's in the NHL compared to AHL. 1-way and he's guaranteed to get the money no matter what.

Imagine the difference in your mentality and in your work rate at your job if you were working for a possible 5x pay increase, vs making that money on default and having no possibility to get a raise. What a ridiculous suggestion that that sort of incentive doesn't matter. These kind of fringe players are pure effort and hustle who are really just trying to make a living their whole career with mostly minor league salaries, they are much closer to the average person than your average NHLers' millions, so this financial incentive is an extremely relevant thing regarding these types of players' effectiveness on the ice.
He knows he needs to perform to stay in the big leagues, and that he’s got a limited time career as an NHLer. If he’s the kind of guy who needs that incentive to perform, you don’t want him on the team anyways, and he won’t stick around long, either.

It’s a contract that shows loyalty to a hard working guy. If it doesn’t pan out, he’s sent to the minors and another similar player will come along, it’s not like the Islanders have any shortage. The security means a lot to him, no doubt, but to the fans, it should mean less than nothing, outside of being a feel good story.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The Isles must have more moves coming, no? They have sooo many forwards on NHL deals.

Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Kovar - Bailey
Ladd - Nelson - Ho-Sang
Beauvillier - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
EX: Johnson, Komarov, Filpulla, Kuhnackl, Martin

I'm sure my lines are way, way off but that's beside the point - I feel like pretty much all 17 of those guys can play in the NHL next season. Hard to see who they would trade. Lee for a #2/3 DMan? Nelson for a #4? Their valuable players seem so unexpendable but they have oh-so-many forwards right now.

Maybe they are trying for the Vegas model of intense training camp competition?

You run out of contract room? Lol

Isles only have 40 guys under contract currently and only 4 RFAs left to sign (Pulock and Nelson being the significant ones). Not a huge concern IMO.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Isles must have more moves coming, no? They have sooo many forwards on NHL deals.

Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Kovar - Bailey
Ladd - Nelson - Ho-Sang
Beauvillier - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
EX: Johnson, Komarov, Filpulla, Kuhnackl, Martin

I'm sure my lines are way, way off but that's beside the point - I feel like pretty much all 17 of those guys can play in the NHL next season. Hard to see who they would trade. Lee for a #2/3 DMan? Nelson for a #4? Their valuable players seem so unexpendable but they have oh-so-many forwards right now.

Maybe they are trying for the Vegas model of intense training camp competition?

Isles only have 40 guys under contract currently and only 4 RFAs left to sign (Pulock and Nelson being the significant ones). Not a huge concern IMO.

Komarov just got a 4 year 12 million dollar contract he's not an extra

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The Isles are bringing back over 220 goals in roster player from last season, and have swapped in 60 pts versus the 110 pts that left. Between Ho-Sang and possibly Kovar, not to mention actually NHL coaching, the different of 50 points won't be too bad, especially when the goal-against should drop dramatically.

I don't think Tanking is in the cards.

I think they are on more of a kamikaze mission but what do I know.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Komarov just got a 4 year 12 million dollar contract he's not an extra

Lol, every single time you respond to one of my posts you make a comment that is already addressed in the post you're responding to. Every. single. time.

"I'm sure my lines are way, way off but that's beside the point"

I only put them into 4 lines to more clearly illustrate the amount of excess forwards.

My point is that they have 17 forwards who can conceivably play in the NHL next year, many of whom are new acquisitions. Leo will obviously play, but who will be bumped from that lineup, either through trade or benching, in favour of him? He is not clearly above any of those players who are listed. Something has to give.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
That's the thing. 1 year is fine for a player like Johnston - he fills a role. However, so do other players.

It's not a bad signing or anything. It just shows that Lou hasn't changed.

I guess why does it matter if he is in Bridgeport and not affecting the Isles cap?

If the owners don’t care about losing money on a player who may not be on the Isles roster in a couple of years... Fans shouldn’t.

As for the term. They keep a known player that has developed in-house, for the prime of his career (age 24-28), and has shown some decent skating and hands. Why bother trying to find what he does every year over the next four?

To me this contract seems like a cheap ploy to ensure they have an enforcer that they can bury in the minors.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not that the money is high, but why is a 25 games played 6 pts, 24 year old getting a 4 year deal, seems odd.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ross the boss!!

He’s not well known but he’s big,tough, can skate, and actually can play hockey. Very very good 4th liner.

His AHL stats say different, not really higher than any other generic fighter.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
His AHL stats say different, not really higher than any other generic fighter.

There’s a lot more to hockey than goals and assists. He’s played in a 4th Line role. When I say he can actually play hockey I mean he’s in no way a liability out on the ice. He makes smart reads and understands in game situations. He plays physical and fights but he’s also good defensively. He’s not just a goon who’s running around the ice looking to fight someone every shift.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
one of the weirdest contract I've ever seen. I've never heard of that guy, but even after reading the topic, I still don't get why he would get four years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad