Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston re-signs for four years, $1M AAV one-way

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't get the hate for this deal. The 4 years part to me seems to make the deal waiver proof for the first couple years of it(ie teams will think twice before picking up that length of the deal)

As others pointed out the only people who should potentially not like this contract are the ones paying for it

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There’s a lot more to hockey than goals and assists. He’s played in a 4th Line role. When I say he can actually play hockey I mean he’s in no way a liability out on the ice. He makes smart reads and understands in game situations. He plays physical and fights but he’s also good defensively. He’s not just a goon who’s running around the ice looking to fight someone every shift.

There is! :eek::rolleyes:

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
I’m wondering if unbeknownst to us, Cliff Fletcher jumped ship with Lou and thought he was signing Tyler Johnson?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I know hockey. No one is expecting him to score 20 goals but I think it’s fair to expect 10 goals while being a physical presence and playing responsible defensively. This kid understands his role and he doesn’t make mistakes when he’s on the ice. As a 4th Line winger you can do a heck of a lot worse than this kid.

In what world is it fair to expect him to score 10 goals? He hasn’t even managed to do that once in three mostly AHL seasons.

Reactions: isles55 and Vikke

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
In what world is it fair to expect him to score 10 goals? He hasn’t even managed to do that once in three mostly AHL seasons.

He had 3 goals in 24 games this year. He he drives the net and he’s positionally very sound. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that. especially since he had the nhl experience now and knows what to expect.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Practise highlights and 2 fights vs guys under 5" 10 lol

Lou isn't even hiding the tank.
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 12.37.29 AM.png

Feb 24, 2004
I said it on the Islanders board, i’ll Say it here.

This is literally a no risk move for anyone associated with the Islanders except for the owners. He works out? Great! Cheap, young, serviceable 4th liner with a bit of upside. He doesn’t? Oh well, send him back to BPT and he either gets claimed or he goes to the minors and it doesn’t impact the Islanders cap at all.

The only people who should hate this deal is the Islanders owners since they have to pay him a million bucks even if he gets sent down to the minors

It does impact the cap (contract AAV minus minimum contract value).

It also impacts other areas indirectly: takes a roster spot from a possibly more deserving player and - as you touched on - may reduce ownerships willingness to spend on other areas of the team.

I recall all the same arguments when the Leafs re-signed Frazer McLaren and Colton Orr.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't get the hate for this deal. The 4 years part to me seems to make the deal waiver proof for the first couple years of it(ie teams will think twice before picking up that length of the deal)

As others pointed out the only people who should potentially not like this contract are the ones paying for it

I highly, highly doubt you need a 4 year contract to make this guy "waiver-proof". He's an AHL plug. Much better players pass through waivers than Ross Johnston.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly it's not that bad.

Skilled AHLers that are brought in purely for the AHL make $500,000 to $1 million anyways. I wouldn't say Johnston is skilled persay, but he fills a role at both the AHL and NHL level, something that can't be said for many other AHLers making similar money. If the Islanders believe having a tough guy is necessary, it's not a horrible signing. It's definitely weird, but I guess the Isles' coaching staff see something in him that they really like to commit for 4 years.

Reactions: exporta

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The Isles are bringing back over 220 goals in roster player from last season, and have swapped in 60 pts versus the 110 pts that left. Between Ho-Sang and possibly Kovar, not to mention actually NHL coaching, the different of 50 points won't be too bad, especially when the goal-against should drop dramatically.

I don't think Tanking is in the cards.
Moneyball baby! A foolproof plan.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He can skate, and drive to the net. the only thing wrong with this in my opinion is that he didn't go to the Leafs in the Martin deal.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Komorov, Martin and now Johnston... on 4 years, 1 way. What is going on here? Why is Lou signing 4th line grinders to long and in some cases very expensive contracts? I get buying them as a stop-gap until the prospects coming up are ready to play in the NHL full time, but Lou is signing them for 3 or 4 years... it makes no sense.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
talk about over reactions, the 4 years is odd, but it's only a million and can be buried if need be

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
Guys Lou is already started the tank. He has his eyes set on jack Hughes. It might work out very well for the isles im just glad hes not signing these contracts to my team anymore

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Isles have 23,6 million of cap tied to the following players:

Andrew Ladd (5×5,5)
Cal Clutterbuck (5×3,5)
Casey Cizikas (3×3,35)
Leo Komarov (4×3)
Valtteri Filppula (1×2,75)
Matt Martin (2×2,5)
Jan Kovar (1×2)
Ross Johnston (4×1)

Taking Kovar out since he wasn't in the league last year these seven guys combined for 442 games scoring 51 goals. This is a weird team. Apart from like three or four players this team has no skill whatsoever. Atleast there's grit :dunno:

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Apart from like three or four players this team has no skill whatsoever.

Come on.

Barzal 85 pts at age 20
Bailey 71 pts
Lee 40 goals
Eberle 59 points
Beauvillier 36 pts at age 21
Nelson 19 goals on the third line
Ho-Sang 22 pts in his first 43 NHL games

There's enough skill to fill out a top six and spill into the third line.

Reactions: exporta

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
While in no way should he have gotten 4 years... almost ALL the people that have ACTUALLY watched this guy play hockey have loved his game. I think he might be one of the few guys that produces more offense at the NHL level than at the AHL level.

Reactions: 12Dog

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Come on.

Barzal 85 pts at age 20
Bailey 71 pts
Lee 40 goals
Eberle 59 points
Beauvillier 36 pts at age 21
Nelson 19 goals on the third line
Ho-Sang 22 pts in his first 43 NHL games

There's enough skill to fill out a top six and spill into the third line.
Totally forgot about Eberle. Still adding these guys you have like 15 or 16 NHL level forwards. How do you think this team will shape up? Trades coming?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad