Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Mathew Barzal signs extension (3 years, $7M AAV)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I just don’t see 3 x 7 as a steal at all. Seems like a good fair deal when compared to what Point got for example and shouldn’t have been any higher were there covid or not. The market is thankfully not that crazy yet that a bridge deal ending on RFA status should carry a 8-10 million AAV. What flat cap and covid did do was that it took away that long term contract possibility that would have carried a much bigger cap hit.

To be honest I have nothing against 3-3-7/8 that would take Barzal up to like 33/34 years old. On the flip side if we signed him 3-7 he would be 30 years old and probably sign a 6-8 year deal after that which brings him to 36-38

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just don’t see 3 x 7 as a steal at all. Seems like a good fair deal when compared to what Point got for example and shouldn’t have been any higher were there covid or not. The market is thankfully not that crazy yet that a bridge deal ending on RFA status should carry a 8-10 million AAV. What flat cap and covid did do was that it took away that long term contract possibility that would have carried a much bigger cap hit.
I think more teams are going to look at the 3 year bridge deal for a RFA more than the long term deal. Teams that sign their RFA's to longer terms, with a higher AVV deal do not have the ability to sign quality depth players. Quality depth players win Stanley Cups. Top heavy, light bottom teams do not win. Brayden Point is the best example of this. Coming out of his ELC, he signs a 3 year deal which allows TB to fill key depth positions. It is a win, win the way I see it. I'd like to see NHL GM's have the courage to go back to the bridge deals after an ELC. Some teams got out of hand trying to reset the market. The team should hold the hammer in negotiations for RFA's not the RFA's. This was a win for Lou and the Islanders, they have the next 3 years with Barzal at 7M per, and the flexibility that no player even their best is paid above 7M per.

Reactions: Twain

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lou has been incompetent since the clutch and grab era ended. His team was a train wreck before the season was shut down. Covid saved his sorry butt. He ran the Devils into the ground his last 8 years there. Look at his drafts. Easily the worst in the league.
I look at winning as the ultimate measure of success.

Lou's already in the hall of fame as a hockey executive, but since the Devils, his last 4 seasons as a GM. 95 points, 105 pts, 103 pts, and last season was 2 games shy of making the Stanley Cup finals. Some Teams could use more incompetent GM's like Lou.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Barzal deserves more

Question is do you credit him with his 85 point season when our team was a complete mess and just played a run and gun style that probably helped him get a few extra points, or do you ignore the fact the system we played the past 2 years might have lead to a slight decrease in points. He has 62 points year 2, and on pace for about 75 last years

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you mean losing him for nothing, I don't think that will happen regardless of who the GM is. If you mean, huge 7 year deal everyone can see will hurt on the back-end...that's pretty much the case for signing any UFA that's going to be playing well into their 30's.
Sure let me clarify. I would fear as an NYI fan, Barzal will not be a NYI in his free agent 26 27 28 years. Whether that is trade or walks as free agent my crystal ball is in the shop ;).

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Man that contract is good for NYI. The cap is a mess atm so cant blame Barzal for taking whats there either.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Question is do you credit him with his 85 point season when our team was a complete mess and just played a run and gun style that probably helped him get a few extra points, or do you ignore the fact the system we played the past 2 years might have lead to a slight decrease in points. He has 62 points year 2, and on pace for about 75 last years

He's on an upward trend and primed for a breakout 90 point season. This can become like the Mackinnon contract. Thankfully for him it's only three years

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seems like a very fair deal. The AAV is great, but the term is so low that the next deal will be a bigger leap in AAV

It suits the Isles though because they have a lot of veterans playing well so strike in the short term while it's going good. The plan could be to have cheaper, younger players when the next Barzal contract starts.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think more teams are going to look at the 3 year bridge deal for a RFA more than the long term deal. Teams that sign their RFA's to longer terms, with a higher AVV deal do not have the ability to sign quality depth players. Quality depth players win Stanley Cups. Top heavy, light bottom teams do not win. Brayden Point is the best example of this. Coming out of his ELC, he signs a 3 year deal which allows TB to fill key depth positions. It is a win, win the way I see it. I'd like to see NHL GM's have the courage to go back to the bridge deals after an ELC. Some teams got out of hand trying to reset the market. The team should hold the hammer in negotiations for RFA's not the RFA's. This was a win for Lou and the Islanders, they have the next 3 years with Barzal at 7M per, and the flexibility that no player even their best is paid above 7M per.

This isn't new, Kucherov and Vasilevski as well signed 3 year bridge deals that extended the Lightnings window for years.

Long term deals can work coming off ELC's as well as long as you do not overpay for potential, look at MacKinnon for example, he signed what was a fair deal that turned out to be a steal on the back half of that contract. Ekblads contract has that same potential, where as guys like Marner and Matthews are awful because there's no potential on getting good value at their price.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I look at winning as the ultimate measure of success.

Lou's already in the hall of fame as a hockey executive, but since the Devils, his last 4 seasons as a GM. 95 points, 105 pts, 103 pts, and last season was 2 games shy of making the Stanley Cup finals. Some Teams could use more incompetent GM's like Lou.
You are right TWS - winning is the ultimate success, and Lou has done it.

Reactions: carparkno1

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Only 7 million wow? Seems like an underpayment.

But the Isles better be prepared to offer at least 10 million per season after this deal ends.

One of the disadvantages of a bridge deal.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Fair for both sides imo.

I find greed is what turns an NHL team into a bottom feeder, that is if the player cares more about winning than money. Players need to learn not to be greedy despite the fact it's a ruthless business because they'll turn right into the Chicago Blackhawks and the Los Angeles Kings.
Multiple cup winners ?

Those players on the two teams you mentioned got paid after their success which is worth it for their fans I assume.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Only 7 million wow? Seems like an underpayment.

But the Isles better be prepared to offer at least 10 million per season after this deal ends.

One of the disadvantages of a bridge deal.
Isles move into their new Belmont arena next season and have a ton of cap space the season Barzal's new contract ends. The only reason he didn't get the 6 yr,$9.5-$10 per deal he wanted,was because Lou could not find a taker for either Hickey ($2.5m) or Uncle Leo ($3m)

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I liked your post but -

Martin, Komorov,Hickey oh my

I'm fine with the Martin contract, to be honest. I don't think it was necessary but whatever

Hickey...yeah, that was an odd one.

Anyone that has a problem with the reigning Conn Smythe and Hart winner Leo Komarov is a heathen who will rot in a hell for all eternity. Intangibles alone and the nickname "Uncle Leo" makes his 3m a year a team-friendly bargain.

All hail Uncle Leo.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dobson made Toews expendable. Potential franchise defenseman.
I don't think the isles wanted to move Toews.Snow and Lou have given out contracts that have bitten the isles on the azz and Toews was a cap casualty.

Sucks to see the NYI develop Toews, then lose him because of poor cap management.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
It never fails to amaze me how people with a narrative will remove huge massive grand canyon sized gaps like the fact Lou has had massive Stanley Cup success!

Context matters though... All of his Stanley Cup success came before when? How many playoff rounds have L.L.'s teams won combined over the last 15 seasons?

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This isn't new, Kucherov and Vasilevski as well signed 3 year bridge deals that extended the Lightnings window for years.

Long term deals can work coming off ELC's as well as long as you do not overpay for potential, look at MacKinnon for example, he signed what was a fair deal that turned out to be a steal on the back half of that contract. Ekblads contract has that same potential, where as guys like Marner and Matthews are awful because there's no potential on getting good value at their price.
as comparable I suppose, imagine if MacKinnon signed for only 5.75 but for 3 years instead of his longer term current deal... the team is laughing during those 3 years but MacKinnon starts laughing after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad