Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Mathew Barzal signs extension (3 years, $7M AAV)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Like this deal. Basically the same as Tkachuks. Personally prefer these bridge deals for RFA players coming off ELCs rather than the long term massive cap contracts. Keeps a young player hungry and provides a lot of motivation to get better. They still have his rights at expiry and if his play demands a sizeable raise, well that's a good thing isn't it?

Big fan of Barzal, elite skating and great IQ is a combo that makes players around him better.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Fans that rip on the Oilers for winning draft lotteries need to look at the NYI and Panthers. They had so many high picks as well . Remember the Oilers weren’t last for all of the 1st OA picks . It’s also not the fans fault they were ran into the ground by incompetent management. Avs also have had their share of high picks . Let’s hope those high picks are behind us for the next 15-20 years .

On a side note . I really like the way the Avs D is shaping up . Going be awesome in about 3 years . Good luck on the upcoming season . I still think the Oilers are about a year away from being a threat

This is not an attack on the Oilers or fans. Players respond differently based on the management, coaching or team structure. There are no guarantees unless this involves a generational player ie Crosby, Ovi or McDavid.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Like this deal. Basically the same as Tkachuks. Personally prefer these bridge deals for RFA players coming off ELCs rather than the long term massive cap contracts. Keeps a young player hungry and provides a lot of motivation to get better. They still have his rights at expiry and if his play demands a sizeable raise, well that's a good thing isn't it?

Big fan of Barzal, elite skating and great IQ is a combo that makes players around him better.
And clearly Barzal is a player who is very coachable too. He sacrificed his offensive numbers to play how Trotz expects, which is the right way for a winning team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is not an attack on the Oilers or fans. Players respond differently based on the management, coaching or team structure. There are no guarantees unless this involves a generational player ie Crosby, Ovi or McDavid.
I know McDavid got a huge second contract, but if there is one young guy who actually deserves crazy big dollars on his second contract it’s him for sure. Barzal at 7 isn’t out of whack with Connor at 12.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
We get it you love to hate on the islanders but you don’t have a clue if you think Matthew’s at 11.6 for the next 3 years is better than Barzel at 7 for the next 3. Matthew’s is better but he’s no where near 4.6 mil a year better hahaha.
Well realistically, barzal would have gotten closer to 10 if covid wasn't around. I'd take Matthews at 11.6 over barzal at 10

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Well realistically, barzal would have gotten closer to 10 if covid wasn't around. I'd take Matthews at 11.6 over barzal at 10
Not even close. Covid had little effect on Barzal's deal. Might have been less backloaded, but even if the cap had gone up slightly, they still wouldn't have devoted much more cap space to him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Smart deal for both sides. NYI gets Barzal for cheap for the next 3 years and still own his RFA rights. Barzal's deal expires a year after the flat cap is gone and we should see a large cap increase which will allow him to cash in on a long term deal.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
No, his rookie year with Doug Weight as his head coach when the Islanders scored and didn't defend (most goals allowed in hockey).

But now that we play "Boring hockey" (Fewest goals allowed in hockey in Trotz' first year, with the exact same D-men), all the sudden you want to look at a lower point total as if it's an indication of what he's CAPABLE OF and not a team style of play?

You can't have it both ways, he's either a good scorer playing boring hockey because that's the Islanders team style... or Barzal isn't that great of a scorer and you owe Adam Pelech the Norris Trophy.
Don't ignore that Tavares was doing all the heavy lifting in Barzal's first season.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I guess if Lou didn't screw up the Islanders salary cap with some of his other moves, he would have been able to re-sign Barzal to a 6 year contract. So maybe he's not as good the way some people think.

So what is bad about Barzal’s deal exactly?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I had a feeling with most JP Barry clients, they had the bridge on the table but were working to try to hammer out a longer deal. This is an obvious message that Barzal likes the Mgt, Coaches, and players on the Island. He also could have been difficult by holding out, this really shows other players when a star player is not after every last cent, how a player can help out a team. It speaks volumes that Barzal bought in. Brilliant of Lou to sell this team approach to his core players, esp one they could not lose.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Fans that rip on the Oilers for winning draft lotteries need to look at the NYI and Panthers. They had so many high picks as well . Remember the Oilers weren’t last for all of the 1st OA picks . It’s also not the fans fault they were ran into the ground by incompetent management. Avs also have had their share of high picks . Let’s hope those high picks are behind us for the next 15-20 years .

On a side note . I really like the way the Avs D is shaping up . Going be awesome in about 3 years . Good luck on the upcoming season . I still think the Oilers are about a year away from being a threat

As an isles fan don’t remind me. So many top10 picks missed.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
I just don’t see 3 x 7 as a steal at all. Seems like a good fair deal when compared to what Point got for example and shouldn’t have been any higher were there covid or not. The market is thankfully not that crazy yet that a bridge deal ending on RFA status should carry a 8-10 million AAV. What flat cap and covid did do was that it took away that long term contract possibility that would have carried a much bigger cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad