Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Mathew Barzal signs extension (3 years, $7M AAV)

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Yep, fair price. It would be ideal if they locked him up for more years, but should be rfa with arbitration after this. So they may walk away from a sub 10.5m contract for barzal, which would be a huge win for the organization

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep, fair price. It would be ideal if they locked him up for more years, but should be rfa with arbitration after this. So they may walk away from a sub 10.5m contract for barzal, which would be a huge win for the organization
Best case for Barzal. Seen pay his ufa guys like Lee and Nelson.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Sure. Eichel, Matthews, and McDavid. All of those guys are (1) clearly better than Barzal and (2) being paid for UFA years.

Eichel's numbers when signing his contract weren't far off from Barzal. Actually Barzal had a higher PPG. You are right on the UFA years though. Still, 3x7 is a very generous deal for the Islanders for Barzal who many consider a franchise player.

Kaynen Ouch Chhay

Dec 29, 2020
Tdot
This isn't new, Kucherov and Vasilevski as well signed 3 year bridge deals that extended the Lightnings window for years.

Long term deals can work coming off ELC's as well as long as you do not overpay for potential, look at MacKinnon for example, he signed what was a fair deal that turned out to be a steal on the back half of that contract. Ekblads contract has that same potential, where as guys like Marner and Matthews are awful because there's no potential on getting good value at their price.
Mack signed that deal cuz he didn't have numbers to gain better leverage. He was coming off a 38 and 52 point season and put up 53 his first year of it. So he was also paid for potential aswell. If he hadn't broke out and if he had stayed at a 55 point player that contract wouldn't be lookin to good as of now. Colorado got lucky that Mack is as good as he is now but if they had gave him a 3 year bridge Mack would be looking at Mcdavids dollar right now.

As for Mathews and Marner contracts, they were signed looking at their elc productions and the nhl future revenue in mind. Marner coming if 94 points and Auston coming off historical elc goal scoring.

Also gotta remember the talks then was the cap reaching 90 mil after tv deal and expansion.
No one saw covid coming, if it hadn't we would be looking at a lot more 10mil rfa signings but it is what it is. In hindsight a bridge deal would of been the best for Toronto but again who saw covid coming.

The contracts not great value compared to guys like drai and mack but it ain't awful like you're trying to say. Auston in his first year has earned every dollar and mitch lost a mil and half in value. No extra value but not awful either.

All leafs can look forward to is them playing up to their contracts and so far Auston has. In fact Mathews has earn more bang for the bucks in his first year of his new contracts then Mack did in his. Mackinnon first year was neg value, it was a disappointment and an overpay but he gain it all back and then some the last 3 seasons.

Leafs contracts has no chance of gaining extra value now due to covid but both have a good chance of earning it. Although again imo Mathews has already done that his first season of it, now its up to mitch and he is capable of it aswell. Mathews contract value will hopefully be seen in his next deal where he signs for 12ish while these bridge guys hit the 10s and 11s million per... We shall see.

Last edited:

Kaynen Ouch Chhay

Dec 29, 2020
Tdot
as comparable I suppose, imagine if MacKinnon signed for only 5.75 but for 3 years instead of his longer term current deal... the team is laughing during those 3 years but MacKinnon starts laughing after.
That's the thing, Mack in his first year was a disappointment for his cap hit. Imagine if he stayed the 50ish point player and didn't breakout during year 5. We would be singing a much different tune but that's the risk teams and players take, avs and oliers hit paydirt with drai and Mack but it could of went the other way too. Mackinnon has even said this much in interviews about his contract and how he wished he could have done things differently but acknowledged that he didn't have the numbers to back it up at the time and chose longterm security.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I don't think the isles wanted to move Toews.Snow and Lou have given out contracts that have bitten the isles on the azz and Toews was a cap casualty.

Sucks to see the NYI develop Toews, then lose him because of poor cap management.

Business first. Patriots model. Loyalty and patience mean very little. Every player has an agent and every agent with a client playing under Lou warns them not to get too comfortable. I’m sure they liked Toews but also know the kid can make more elsewhere and get assets in return.

Kaynen Ouch Chhay

Dec 29, 2020
Tdot
Eichel's numbers when signing his contract weren't far off from Barzal. Actually Barzal had a higher PPG. You are right on the UFA years though. Still, 3x7 is a very generous deal for the Islanders for Barzal who many consider a franchise player.
If there was no covid and cap went up as predicted.. Barzel would be paid 10/11 longterm, 3*7 is right on the money for him. Not sure how you consider that generous. Its a risk for isle in his next contract if he explodes like Nate and drai did. Still you get 3 years of great value even if he does.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Context matters though... All of his Stanley Cup success came before when? How many playoff rounds have L.L.'s teams won combined over the last 15 seasons?

He’s built two different CF teams in the last eight years. Not many GM’s can boast that in the same period.

The Isles went to the CF two years after missing playoffs.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Business first. Patriots model. Loyalty and patience mean very little. Every player has an agent and every agent with a client playing under Lou warns them not to get too comfortable. I’m sure they liked Toews but also know the kid can make more elsewhere and get assets in return.

Lou rewarding bottom 6 forwards (Martin/Uncle Leo) and 3rd pairing D ( Hickey) , with head scratching long-term deals doesn't sound like the Patriots model.

And defense has been the strength of this NYI team. Lou's comments to the press make it clear after the Toews trade they were unhappy they couldn't fit him into their budget ,the uncertainty of arbitration played a role.
Isles have lost two D from last season's top 6. I am looking forward to seeing what Dobson can do in an expanded role,but not kidding myself. The Isles D took a hit this off-season.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Oh, alright, so Lou has to make cap decisions too. I'm not the one that called him a wizard.

He ran the Devils into the ground. Ultimately cost the Leafs a 1st round pick. He's giving a bunch of 30 year olds long term contracts on Long Island. They made a nice run in the playoffs, but they were also a middle of the pack team that gave up more goals than they scored during the regular season. He's got another 3-4 RFA's to sign next year, and will have to lose someone else while not adding to the team.

I know, I know, don't worry about Lou's cap. That's exactly what Devils fans said years ago. Leafs fans might've even said it for a short while too.

That was Dubas by giving those insane contracts to those RFA's.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
As opposed to giving him $10M+ right off the bat? Only schmucks who don't know how to negotiate do idiotic things like that...
Yes...expert GM Lou Lam and his negotiating skills allowed the Isles to tie up:

Anders Lee - 7 years, $49 million, locked up till 36 (Career high of 62 points, career average of 50 points per season)
Brock Nelson - 6 years, $36 million, locked up till 34 (Career high of 54 points, career average of 44 points per season)
Jordan Eberle - 5 years, $27.5 million, locked up till 34 (Hasn't scored more than 59 points in his 3 seasons with Isles)
Andrew Ladd - 3 more years at $5.5 AAV till 38 (So bad he spends time with the AHL team)
J.G Pageau - 6 years, $30 million till 34 (scored 40 points only twice in his career, career high of 43 which happened 5 seasons ago)

That's the negotiating wizard you're talking about?

I can't wait to see what spin you put on this when Barzal HAS to be offered $10 million+ on his next deal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Mack signed that deal cuz he didn't have numbers to gain better leverage. He was coming off a 38 and 52 point season and put up 53 his first year of it. So he was also paid for potential aswell. If he hadn't broke out and if he had stayed at a 55 point player that contract wouldn't be lookin to good as of now. Colorado got lucky that Mack is as good as he is now but if they had gave him a 3 year bridge Mack would be looking at Mcdavids dollar right now.

As for Mathews and Marner contracts, they were signed looking at their elc productions and the nhl future revenue in mind. Marner coming if 94 points and Auston coming off historical elc goal scoring.

Also gotta remember the talks then was the cap reaching 90 mil after tv deal and expansion.
No one saw covid coming, if it hadn't we would be looking at a lot more 10mil rfa signings but it is what it is. In hindsight a bridge deal would of been the best for Toronto but again who saw covid coming.

The contracts not great value compared to guys like drai and mack but it ain't awful like you're trying to say. Auston in his first year has earned every dollar and mitch lost a mil and half in value. No extra value but not awful either.

All leafs can look forward to is them playing up to their contracts and so far Auston has. In fact Mathews has earn more bang for the bucks in his first year of his new contracts then Mack did in his. Mackinnon first year was neg value, it was a disappointment and an overpay but he gain it all back and then some the last 3 seasons.

Leafs contracts has no chance of gaining extra value now due to covid but both have a good chance of earning it. Although again imo Mathews has already done that his first season of it, now its up to mitch and he is capable of it aswell. Mathews contract value will hopefully be seen in his next deal where he signs for 12ish while these bridge guys hit the 10s and 11s million per... We shall see.

Wrong, he has the third highest caphit in the league and was 9th in league scoring and 15th in PPG. To earn his caphit he needs to be a top-3 forward, he wasn't, to earn more "bang for his buck" he needs to be on McDavid level and he's far below that.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Anders Lee - 7 years, $49 million, locked up till 36 (Career high of 62 points, career average of 50 points per season)
Brock Nelson - 6 years, $36 million, locked up till 34 (Career high of 54 points, career average of 44 points per season)
Jordan Eberle - 5 years, $27.5 million, locked up till 34 (Hasn't scored more than 59 points in his 3 seasons with Isles)
Andrew Ladd - 3 more years at $5.5 AAV till 38 (So bad he spends time with the AHL team)
J.G Pageau - 6 years, $30 million till 34 (scored 40 points only twice in his career, career high of 43 which happened 5 seasons ago)

I can't wait to see what spin you put on this when Barzal HAS to be offered $10 million+ on his next deal.

Ladd was a Garth snow contract

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Well realistically, barzal would have gotten closer to 10 if covid wasn't around. I'd take Matthews at 11.6 over barzal at 10

But that’s not what happened. If the reason was COVID so be it. If it were Matthews at 11.6 or Barzel at 10 I would also 100% take Matthews. In my opinion the Isles made out and for the next 3 years Barzel at 7 especially in a time where caps are tight, is the better contract than Matthews at 11.6.

In the future it’s gonna be interesting how things pan out contract wise. Gotta think if Barzel continues to get better he’s gonna be asking over 10mil a year. I hope the salary cap opens up more so the isles can afford it haha.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yes...exp

According to several press reports, Barzal's qualifying offer will be $8.4m.
And with Barzal only 1 yr from unrestricted free agency,I am gonna guess the isles owners, in their new arena,will be happy to open the checkbook to eat up several of Barzal's UFA yrs.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

Ppg, the defining trait of what makes a hockey player's contract good or not.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
Context matters though... All of his Stanley Cup success came before when? How many playoff rounds have L.L.'s teams won combined over the last 15 seasons?
Well they just made the conference final so I'll take that.

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011

That core just made the conference finals. I mean jesus sometimes it's not about contracts and actually about success on the ice. Ladd was a garth snow contract and if you don't see why Pageau is worth all that money and more then you don't watch hockey

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Well they just made the conference final so I'll take that.
Lou has been incompetent since the clutch and grab era ended. His team was a train wreck before the season was shut down. Covid saved his sorry butt. He ran the Devils into the ground his last 8 years there. Look at his drafts. Easily the worst in the league.

-wipecacarightquinn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad