Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Mathew Barzal signs extension (3 years, $7M AAV)

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I know Isles fans probably want longer term extension but I'm happy for him resigning for the next 3 years on the Island. I know it's only 3 years but I like his commitment to the team and his mentality. Wanting to win a Stanley with the Islanders is a good mentality to have. Lou isn't messing around and played this well. Gives Barzal the perfect contract and option to sign elsewhere if he wants to opt out eventually.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Kaynen Ouch Chhay

Dec 29, 2020
Tdot
Wrong, he has the third highest caphit in the league and was 9th in league scoring and 15th in PPG. To earn his caphit he needs to be a top-3 forward, he wasn't, to earn more "bang for his buck" he needs to be on McDavid level and he's far below that.
First quote I said he earned more bang for the buck then Mack did in his first year of his contract, that is not wrong that is a fact. Mak put up 53 points and had a cap hit of 6.3m. Am at 11.6 put up a pace of 55g and 95 points. Auston put forward a more valuable season compared Mack and their is no argument to it.

Also he may have been 9th/15th ppg in league scoring but he was 2nd in goals. He doesn't have to put up Mcdavids number cuz everyone knows Connor is already underpaid. Your gonna tell me 55g 95 points doesn't earn you 11.6m. Plus cap hit and league wide production has no correlation with each other so kinda dumb to use that as your standard definition.

You know how he has earned it? Simple really.. Any gm would take him at that price and be over the moon about it. That's how you know if a player is worth his salary. So I'll end this post the same way you started yours... You're wrong.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
First quote I said he earned more bang for the buck then Mack did in his first year of his contract, that is not wrong that is a fact. Mak put up 53 points and had a cap hit of 6.3m. Am at 11.6 put up a pace of 55g and 95 points. Auston put forward a more valuable season compared Mack and their is no argument to it.

Also he may have been 9th/15th ppg in league scoring but he was 2nd in goals. He doesn't have to put up Mcdavids number cuz everyone knows Connor is already underpaid. Your gonna tell me 55g 95 points doesn't earn you 11.6m. Plus cap hit and league wide production has no correlation with each other so kinda dumb to use that as your standard definition.

You know how he has earned it? Simple really.. Any gm would take him at that price and be over the moon about it. That's how you know if a player is worth his salary. So I'll end this post the same way you started yours... You're wrong.

Nope, no good GM would've signed him to that albatros contract. In a league where there's multiple 100 point scorers a year, 95 points isn't worth 11m+ and the leafs have 2 of those horrible contracts. If 95 points is worth 11.6m then I guess Marner is underpaid by your logic, good job.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yes...expert GM Lou Lam and his negotiating skills allowed the Isles to tie up:

Anders Lee - 7 years, $49 million, locked up till 36 (Career high of 62 points, career average of 50 points per season)
Brock Nelson - 6 years, $36 million, locked up till 34 (Career high of 54 points, career average of 44 points per season)
Jordan Eberle - 5 years, $27.5 million, locked up till 34 (Hasn't scored more than 59 points in his 3 seasons with Isles)
Andrew Ladd - 3 more years at $5.5 AAV till 38 (So bad he spends time with the AHL team)
J.G Pageau - 6 years, $30 million till 34 (scored 40 points only twice in his career, career high of 43 which happened 5 seasons ago)

That's the negotiating wizard you're talking about?

I can't wait to see what spin you put on this when Barzal HAS to be offered $10 million+ on his next deal.

You do know Ladd wasn't signed by Lou right?

Kaynen Ouch Chhay

Dec 29, 2020
Tdot
Nope, no good GM would've signed him to that albatros contract. In a league where there's multiple 100 point scorers a year, 95 points isn't worth 11m+ and the leafs have 2 of those horrible contracts. If 95 points is worth 11.6m then I guess Marner is underpaid by your logic, good job.
[MOD] Look at the difference between Mathews and Marner and you will see why one is worth it and the other is over paid by a mil half, be a lil truthful man. If Marner is putting up 50g he would be worth it too... No need for me to even mention position [MOD]

Multiple 100 point scorer bro there been something like 10/11 of them since 16/17 and 6/7 of those are by the same guys. 55 goals 95 points is for damn sure worth 11.6 especially in a league where goal scoring is a premium... You know how many 50 goal scorer in that time? 1.. Do you think drai would of been worth it that year with his 50/50 #? so yes if AM had hit that pace he would of earned it.

Also again any gm would take AM at that price and they all would sign him to it aswell in that climate. You really think 10 assist matters when you're scoring at a 55 goal pace come on man...logic indeed.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
According to several press reports, Barzal's qualifying offer will be $8.4m.
And with Barzal only 1 yr from unrestricted free agency,I am gonna guess the isles owners, in their new arena,will be happy to open the checkbook to eat up several of Barzal's UFA yrs.

From what I've read, the QO is the *lower* of either the amount for the final year in the contract or 120% increase on the AAV.

So for Barzal that would be the lower of either $10 million (final year) or $8.4 million (120% increase of the AAV), which would be $8.4 million.

So folks still touting the $10 million QO aren't using the most recent tweaks to the CBA.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Lou rewarding bottom 6 forwards (Martin/Uncle Leo) and 3rd pairing D ( Hickey) , with head scratching long-term deals doesn't sound like the Patriots model.

And defense has been the strength of this NYI team. Lou's comments to the press make it clear after the Toews trade they were unhappy they couldn't fit him into their budget ,the uncertainty of arbitration played a role.
Isles have lost two D from last season's top 6. I am looking forward to seeing what Dobson can do in an expanded role,but not kidding myself. The Isles D took a hit this off-season.

Patriots always brought back good locker room guys and special teamers. Martin is a huge piece to the best 4th line in hockey that outworked top lines last postseason. Komarov is cheap and a UFA in two years. Good soldier and Trotz loves him. Teams hate playing against him.

Isles fans got too attached to Toews. Understandable to a point but one full season in his career yet was commanding $4 mil a season? Screw that. Dobson will be just as good if not better and cheaper. I wouldn’t worry about that team. They will contend.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Patriots always brought back good locker room guys and special teamers. Martin is a huge piece to the best 4th line in hockey that outworked top lines last postseason. Komarov is cheap and a UFA in two years. Good soldier and Trotz loves him. Teams hate playing against him.

Isles fans got too attached to Toews. Understandable to a point but one full season in his career yet was commanding $4 mil a season? Screw that. Dobson will be just as good if not better and cheaper. I wouldn’t worry about that team. They will contend.

I'm ok with the Toews trade. It needed to be done, and considering other trades and current events... the Isles did well with the return.

But Toews absolutely did merit the praise. He is easily a top four d-man with potential to be as high as a two. Ultimately, I think he remains around a three or a four.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm ok with the Toews trade. It needed to be done, and considering other trades and current events... the Isles did well with the return.

But Toews absolutely did merit the praise. He is easily a top four d-man with potential to be as high as a two. Ultimately, I think he remains around a three or a four.

I would agree with this but Lou really did him a solid by sending him to a team that's perfect for his style of play.I could see him putting up 7g, 43a in a full season in Colorado. I'd still make the trade again and hope the 2nds are used well but I've prepared myself for the "OMG LOL WAT WHAT LOU THIKNING????/???" posts a week, month, year from now.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I would agree with this but Lou really did him a solid by sending him to a team that's perfect for his style of play.I could see him putting up 7g, 43a in a full season in Colorado. I'd still make the trade again and hope the 2nds are used well but I've prepared myself for the "OMG LOL WAT WHAT LOU THIKNING????/???" posts a week, month, year from now.

Oh yeah... That check “really is” in the mail! I fully expect the same reaction. But that’s the nature of this site... very little is spent on understanding the nuances.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Barzal contract = star players get paid . Second tier guys get bent over the barrel .

Damn Chia could’ve draft him but instead gave up the pick for Reinhart . Then he picked Puljujarvi over Tkachuk . Imagine Edmonton with these 2 guys

Tkachuk McDavid Barzal
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

That wouldn’t of been a crazy top 6 until the cap forced changes .

And then Me and you could have tried out for defense and probably been EDMs top pair!

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Barzal is a tremendous player, the AAV is a good deal. Not sure how the QO will work at the end, I'm not knowledgeable enough about that. But for the next 3 years value is definitely there!

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
That core just made the conference finals. I mean jesus sometimes it's not about contracts and actually about success on the ice. Ladd was a garth snow contract and if you don't see why Pageau is worth all that money and more then you don't watch hockey
Congrats, that was last year and when faced against a team with more offensive talent due to not having bad contracts they got eliminated. The Isles gunna hang a banner for reaching the conference finals?

The Jets went to the conference finals 2 seasons ago...haven't been anywhere close since. The Canes made the conference finals the year prior to the Isles, I doubt you'll see many Canes fans that think they have 0 dead-weight on their roster. The Isles were not better than the Lightning or Bruins the year they made the ECF, they just didn't have to go through either of them until the ECF due to playoff formatting.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Isles' roster has plenty of dead weight and fat, but very few rosters are perfectly aligned and primed for the next move. The Isles need to use the next 3 years to win, as far-fetched as it may seem to those on the outside. Fancy stats be damned. If, after the season starts, Lou can find a way to rid the team of Ladd's deal or something lesser like Leo's last two seasons - or even something more valuable (albeit, relatively) like a mini package of Hickey, Ross the Boss and good picks in a package for other picks - that'd be helpful. I think there are plenty of teams that wouldn't mind two season of Ross at 1MM, and Hickey is a solid if healthy (and he's been paid a bunch of what he's owed). If you can get them on the cheap cheap, while improving your draft position in the upcoming draft by way the picks that are swapping - I have to think that some teams can stomach that and not only make it work then, but on the ice now. Say what you will about Ross, but he's one of a handful or real, skating fighters left. If you have a team that may need to occasional polar bear on the ice, he's a great fit. I'd see him in CO (alone) or in Nashville (in a package).

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Rangers fan chiming in.

Im happy the Isles were able to bring sign him. Happy that they were able to retain their best player. This is a good hockey club. Lots of key pieces in the right places. Will he stay after 3 years is up? If they win, maybe? If they fail to put it together and be a real threat...then its likely. Lets see how it unfolds.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Congrats, that was last year and when faced against a team with more offensive talent due to not having bad contracts they got eliminated. The Isles gunna hang a banner for reaching the conference finals?

The Jets went to the conference finals 2 seasons ago...haven't been anywhere close since. The Canes made the conference finals the year prior to the Isles, I doubt you'll see many Canes fans that think they have 0 dead-weight on their roster. The Isles were not better than the Lightning or Bruins the year they made the ECF, they just didn't have to go through either of them until the ECF due to playoff formatting.

Bam, there's the Leaf excuse we're all used to! You've Bam'd yourself. Well done

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
[MOD] Look at the difference between Mathews and Marner and you will see why one is worth it and the other is over paid by a mil half, be a lil truthful man. If Marner is putting up 50g he would be worth it too... No need for me to even mention position [MOD]

Multiple 100 point scorer bro there been something like 10/11 of them since 16/17 and 6/7 of those are by the same guys. 55 goals 95 points is for damn sure worth 11.6 especially in a league where goal scoring is a premium... You know how many 50 goal scorer in that time? 1.. Do you think drai would of been worth it that year with his 50/50 #? so yes if AM had hit that pace he would of earned it.

Also again any gm would take AM at that price and they all would sign him to it aswell in that climate. You really think 10 assist matters when you're scoring at a 55 goal pace come on man...logic indeed.

If marner produces the same amount of points at around the same pace whats the difference? I think goals being worth more is somewhat faulty logic. People will say 'you need the goal' but in the end its how many goals your line created.
If a player gets 90+ points every year with different players he is creating 90 + goals

Two different teams...If goals against and goals for are identicle, shots for shots against, goaltender save % all identicle top lines have the same ice time but one team has a guy with 90 goals and one team has a guy with 90 assits the teams will have the same record i see no extra benifit for the team with the goal scorer

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't think the isles wanted to move Toews.Snow and Lou have given out contracts that have bitten the isles on the azz and Toews was a cap casualty.

Sucks to see the NYI develop Toews, then lose him because of poor cap management.
I don’t think they wanted to but realistically he was unlikely to pass Pelech or Leddy on the depth chart any time soon, so at 4m+ for the bottom pairing, he was expendable.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->