Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Mathew Barzal signs extension (3 years, $7M AAV)

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I posted that last page. They tweaked it last summer. It's now the lower of either the final year of the contract or 120% of the AAV. In Barzal's case, it's $8.4 million, which is 120% of the AAV.

8.4 M will be a bargain in 2023. I don't think there is any concern at all with his qualifying offer. By his next contract, I expect him to land close to 11M AAV for 6-7 years.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
8.4 M will be a bargain in 2023. I don't think there is any concern at all with his qualifying offer. By his next contract, I expect him to land close to 11M AAV for 6-7 years.

Either way, isles are in good position with Barzal after this contract.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Either way, isles are in good position with Barzal after this contract.

Yeah, looks like it. I did expect that he would be shooting for contract that's similar to Marner; kudos to the Isles to be able to get him for a discount rate for the time being. But he will get PAID in a few years.

Reactions: SI90

Kaynen Ouch Chhay

Dec 29, 2020
Tdot
Yes but 2o home runs and the worst batting average in history doesn’t have a lot of value for wins does it?
Does it have more value than anyone with less than 20 home runs?
If a guy batts 400 and has many many doubles and triples but only ten home runs do you really think the guy with 20 home runs and a billion strike outs has more value?
You can’t see the Forrest through the trees
Bro your example is so extremely one sided lmao just look at mlb past MVPs and you will see you need power numbers to atleast have a chance most of the time. Other times its good hitting catchers, very high BA, or overall great hitting numbers that wins it. Something like 5 players in the last 20 years to win it with less then 30 hr.

Come on man seriously your example is so left field it's funny and you calling me out.. You sounds more like you whinging now man then anything logical hahha.

For real who you take for your team as a hitter? mike trout or DJ lamathieu, Mookie Betts or Micheal conforto, Dom Smith or Jose Abreu, Solano or turner, tapia or seager, Machado or fletcher. Seriously you don't see how a guy with power and plus hitting brings more value then a guy with no power and only plus hitting.

If I was to use your extreme example it would be who is more valuable a guy who hits 20 hr with a billion strikout or a guy who hits single with a billion strikeout. In that scenario again the hr guy is moar valuable because he still abke to create runs and that's why goal scorer in general are more valuable then pass first guys. It's why Toronto is asking mitch to shoot more and become more of a scoring threat. If ya gonna argue atleast do it in good faith my man and not with all these extreme anology.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Excellent deal. Also hopefully works out well for the Canucks, providing a good comparison for Petterssons next contract.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Bro your example is so extremely one sided lmao just look at mlb past MVPs and you will see you need power numbers to atleast have a chance most of the time. Other times its good hitting catchers, very high BA, or overall great hitting numbers that wins it. Something like 5 players in the last 20 years to win it with less then 30 hr.

Come on man seriously your example is so left field it's funny and you calling me out.. You sounds more like you whinging now man then anything logical hahha.

For real who you take for your team as a hitter? mike trout or DJ lamathieu, Mookie Betts or Micheal conforto, Dom Smith or Jose Abreu, Solano or turner, tapia or seager, Machado or fletcher. Seriously you don't see how a guy with power and plus hitting brings more value then a guy with no power and only plus hitting.

If I was to use your extreme example it would be who is more valuable a guy who hits 20 hr with a billion strikout or a guy who hits single with a billion strikeout. In that scenario again the hr guy is moar valuable because he still abke to create runs and that's why goal scorer in general are more valuable then pass first guys. It's why Toronto is asking mitch to shoot more and become more of a scoring threat. If ya gonna argue atleast do it in good faith my man and not with all these extreme anology.

It’s not extreme you said 70 goals has more value than 90 points. You act like only goals matter

Kaynen Ouch Chhay

Dec 29, 2020
Tdot
It’s not extreme you said 70 goals has more value than 90 points. You act like only goals matter
I've never acted or said as much. I've said goals are more valuable and is weighted more then assist. That notion is not new to hockey and hockey statistics. Yes a 70 goal scorer is more valuable then a 90 assist playmaker and I stand by that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He has been quietly terrific this year playing his most complete hockey as a 200 ft player in his career. Over a PPG while not sacrificing any defence on a team that plays defence first. He could probably increase his points totals if he decided to play all offence and was on a team less focused to D, but that's what I like about him, he plays within the team concept, and is by far and away the primary offensive driver on a team that plays with a Swiss like efficiency. Heck of a signing and player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad