NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
We can trade Chabot.
He’s making 10 million dollars next season. We can maybe trade him for a player that is equally if not more flawed. Does that improve our roster? Probably not.

You’re likely far better off giving him a good partner and seeing what Green can get out of him than just moving him and taking on more bad money.

Selling low on players doesn’t really resolve our issues so much as it creates new ones. I see that more as a last resort than a solution this off season.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If he’s not going to be physical every game, he has no real place on this roster. Also isn’t great defensively.

The Sens tried to trade him at the deadline and had no takers, if he’s still a Sen come October it’s likely because they couldn’t move him. But I do agree he could be good and was better to end the season — it just doesn’t mean much if it doesn’t translate consistently.
He was just what he needs to be at the end of the season. And have no one else like him.
Yeah if he regresses and sucks trade him. Same goes for everyone else in the roster.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I disagree completely. I don't think he pans out to be anything more than he is right now.

This team hasn't had really good 3rd and 4th line in a long long time.
Sorry man. I just don’t get why we’d trade our biggest strongest player when he ended the year playing great. And he’s young. And wants to improve.
Keep him

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can’t trade Chabot or Norris.

No reason to trade Brady, Timmy, Sanderson, Batherson or Pinto.

Not trading Giroux. Can’t trade Korpisalo.

There isn’t a lot of money left after that in terms of players you can move to make changes elsewhere. If you move Joseph you can bring in a “pro” for his money. I still don’t fully understand why it seems like they’re considering Zub as an option (at least if Bruce is correct), but I’d guess it has something to do with our inexperience on D.

Trading core pieces isn’t the only way to enhance the culture.
Trading Norris would make sense to reduce the risk for an injury prone player. Perhaps there is a team that likes him and would take him if we added a sweetener such as the Boston 1st rounder, Brannstrom, etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't have room for additions?

Staios needs to add 4/5 players this summer. Players need to be added and subtracted this summer.

He is going to be very active over the next 2 months, he still hasn't put any imprint on the Sens at all, there will be a large one put on in the next 2 months
Well the cap gets in the way unfortunately.

I think people hoping for 4-5 players (of any substance, I'm not talking about MacEwen type additions) are setting themselves up for disappointment

Well, hopefully, add a top 4 RHD, and either a goalie or a winger, after that it will be filler

That's my prediction anyway.

Reactions: Arogie and DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Trading Norris would make sense to reduce the risk for an injury prone player. Perhaps there is a team that likes him and would take him if we added a sweetener such as the Boston 1st rounder, Brannstrom, etc.
Quacks, Sharks and Hawks need to sign/acquire some inflated deals to hit the cap floor.

I wonder if the Sharks would take him back and send us some filler contracts (Granlund, Sturm, etc...)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I think people hoping for 4-5 players (of any substance, I'm not talking about MacEwen type additions) are setting themselves up for disappointment

Well, hopefully, add a top 4 RHD, and either a goalie or a winger, after that it will be filler
Don't do this Micklebot. You've already got my hopes all high cuz we're getting Pesce and DeMelo. Both of em. We're going to have a logjam of good RDs for once

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't do this Micklebot. You've already got my hopes all high cuz we're getting Pesce and DeMelo. Both of em. We're going to have a logjam of good RDs for once
It could happen, but then we can't really go out and get Ulmark or Saros without some sort of miracle...

Idk, maybe I'm wrong, maybe Norris LTIRetires, we trade Chabot and everything happens all at once, but I think Staios will be methodical and the changes will happen over time rather than be forced into one off season.

New ownership and new management have a long term vision, I don't think you can get there overnight and I think we are going to view the changes as a journey rather than just immediately arrive at that destination.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It could happen, but then we can't really go out and get Ulmark or Saros without some sort of miracle...

Idk, maybe I'm wrong, maybe Norris LTIRetires, we trade Chabot and everything happens all at once, but I think Staios will be methodical and the changes will happen over time rather than be forced into one off season.

New ownership and new management have a long term vision, I don't think you can get there overnight and I think we are going to view the changes as a journey rather than just immediately arrive at that destination.
Expectations are high.

I suspect numerous good RDs will be mentioned in trade proposals, even ones that are young and that have bright futures for the team they are currently playing.

I expect a lot of proposals for good forwards too even though cap restrictions would require subtracting roster players for that to happen.

I think its going to be a wild ride in here until the puck drops for game 1. I’ve got to remember to keep the cynicism at bay I suppose.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’s making 10 million dollars next season. We can maybe trade him for a player that is equally if not more flawed. Does that improve our roster? Probably not.

You’re likely far better off giving him a good partner and seeing what Green can get out of him than just moving him and taking on more bad money.

Selling low on players doesn’t really resolve our issues so much as it creates new ones. I see that more as a last resort than a solution this off season.
And calling him out for not being strong enough or in good enough shape. Chabot went from being talked about as a Sens “Ambassador” under DJ/PD to a “young player” under Jacques Martin and that type of evaluation has to not take Chabot to get better - being humbled liked that from legit NHLers like Staois/Poulin has to have Chabot thinking his game can grow massively

I think with a summer to get bigger and a D partner who really compliments Chabot and has some offense so Chabot feels he doesn’t have to do it every shift, his game will Improve a lot. He’s competitive but not mean, some ugliness go his game would help a lot as well, maybe a D partner who brings that out of him would be the ultimate summer acquisition to fix the D

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Mem cup starts Friday.
SCHEDULE
Round-Robin
Game 1 – Friday, May 24 – Moose Jaw vs. Saginaw (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)
Round-Robin Game 2 – Saturday, May 25 – London vs. Drummondville (4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT)
Round-Robin Game 3 – Sunday, May 26 – Saginaw vs. Drummondville (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)
Round-Robin Game 4 – Monday, May 27 – London vs. Moose Jaw (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)
Round-Robin Game 5 – Tuesday, May 28 – Drummondville vs. Moose Jaw (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)
Round-Robin Game 6 – Wednesday, May 29 – Saginaw vs. London (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)
Tie-Breaker (*if necessary) – Thursday, May 30 (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)
Semi-Final – Friday, May 31 (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)
Championship Final – Sunday, June 2 (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT)

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I hope the Sens pick Zeev (it's Zeev, not Steve) Buium.

I haven't watched any of these players play, but liked the read up on his performance in the NCAA championship.

Yeah, he's a lefty, maybe he can play right. Or Sanderson can.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

These guys have us taking forwards at 25 and 39. 6 RDs are picked between 30 and 41 ; Sens don't pick again until the 4th round
The forwards are good picks but...

Sens need help everywhere. They have no top 6 forwards, no top 4 D, no starting goalies and barely any depth guys.

The real only position we are strong at is LD and C to some extent. After that we have open spots everywhere.

Just this season we need.

1. Starting goalie
2. Backup goalie
3. Top pairing RD
4. bottom pairing RD
5. 2nd line LW
6 3rd line RW
7. 4th line RW

35% of the roster needs to be overhauled and at key positions. Need 2 in your starting 6 alone which is a massive project on its own

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

These guys have us taking forwards at 25 and 39. 6 RDs are picked between 30 and 41 ; Sens don't pick again until the 4th round
The forwards are good picks but...
At first I was thinking, damn, we need RD prospects really bad and we should load up on them. But then I checked and our top prospects are bottom 6/pairing guys at best lol.

Forwards or D, we need good prospects in our empty pool, but I hope there's a balance at the draft.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

That's my prediction anyway.
I think a top 4 big RD is what we will get. The rest will be underwhelming.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sens need help everywhere. They have no top 6 forwards, no top 4 D, no starting goalies and barely any depth guys.

The real only position we are strong at is LD and C to some extent. After that we have open spots everywhere.

Just this season we need.

1. Starting goalie
2. Backup goalie
3. Top pairing RD
4. bottom pairing RD
5. 2nd line LW
6 3rd line RW
7. 4th line RW

35% of the roster needs to be overhauled and at key positions. Need 2 in your starting 6 alone which is a massive project on its own
I agree the team needs to improve in many areas. However:
We already have 2 backup level goaltenders taking up our allocated goaltending dollars. :)
A top pairing RD is definitely a need, but we will likely get a top 4 RD if we are fortunate to obtain one.
Pinto will be getting the Tarasenko $5M, leaving little for acquiring a 2nd line F.
3rd line RW is Joseph under contract. I think he is acceptable at that position.
4th line RW is McEwen under contract. I thought he looked decent for little while last season.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope the Sens pick Zeev (it's Zeev, not Steve) Buium.

I haven't watched any of these players play, but liked the read up on his performance in the NCAA championship.

Yeah, he's a lefty, maybe he can play right. Or Sanderson can.
I think Sanderson could play RD too; he is very skilled and intelligent so it would not take much time for him to adapt to RD. That would eliminate the need to get a big physical defensively adept RD in the top 4 D. It would also open an LD spot for Kleven at 3 LD.

The 4th RD spot would be Bernard-Docker and Hamonic; both of which I would want to replace asap with another big physical RD, perhaps a cheap UFA.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
I think Sanderson could play RD too; he is very skilled and intelligent so it would not take much time for him to adapt to RD. That would eliminate the need to get a big physical defensively adept RD in the top 4 D. It would also open an LD spot for Kleven at 3 LD.

The 4th RD spot would be Bernard-Docker and Hamonic; both of which I would want to replace asap with another big physical RD, perhaps a cheap UFA.
For those watching the WC, Sanderson and Hughes have been swapping sides constantly so I think Sanderson COULD do it, but I prefer him to play his strong side.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad