Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Isles sign Andy Greene (1 year, $700k + $2M Performance) & Matt Martin (4 years, $1.5M AAV)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Capfriendly is a pretty good source. The key to me is Greene wanted to come back, and took 700K on the cap to do so. This speaks volumes players look at the Island as a place to play now and not a place to avoid as previously it may have been known as. Give Malkin, Ledecky, Lou and Barry credit. The culture has done a 180 in 2 short years.
Greene, Andy35+LD/RDNHL380.9$700,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I’m looking for what are the details to reach certain bonuses? Percentage of games played? Points? Percentage of Playoff games played? Things like that

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’m looking for what are the details to reach certain bonuses? Percentage of games played? Points? Percentage of Playoff games played? Things like that
Probably based on how far the Isles go in the playoffs is my guess. Lamoriello likes team related bonuses. Maybe games played too. I can't see Greene having individual points as a bonus incentive.

Reactions: SI90

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wouldn't it have been better to give Martin a 6 year deal @ 1M a year. That way they could just send him down to Bridgeport in years 3 or 4 and let him collect his 6M

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
At the end of the day $1.5m isn’t going to kill you and he’s clearly a part of a successful fourth line, but who are the Islanders bidding against here?
He never has to worry about a contract again. Front office after that.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He never has to worry about a contract again. Front office after that.

I wouldn't be surprised if by year 3 or 4 he gets sent down to be a player coach or something like that, at that point the caphit will be minimal(given that 1M+ will be buried in the minors). As I stated above they should just have spread that cash over 6 years and maybe front load it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At the end of the day $1.5m isn’t going to kill you and he’s clearly a part of a successful fourth line, but who are the Islanders bidding against here?
Staple reported up to 7 teams were interested. Martin is one of the best 4th line players in hockey. He also is also very good defensively, and 1 of tbe best team players in the game. These type of intangibles are rare. The caphit is minuscule for what all the positives brings to a team IMO. Let's not forget he also scored 5 goals in the playoff run.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Capfriendly is a pretty good source. The key to me is Greene wanted to come back, and took 700K on the cap to do so. This speaks volumes players look at the Island as a place to play now and not a place to avoid as previously it may have been known as. Give Malkin, Ledecky, Lou and Barry credit. The culture has done a 180 in 2 short years.
Greene, Andy35+LD/RDNHL380.9$700,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That and not having to move his kids and family, or living on his own somewhere else for a year, just so he could squeeze one more year out of his career probably played a huge part. Some of the bonuses will also be easily attainable so he'll end up making a million or so this year, in the end.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kudos to Martin's agent. I'm skeptical any of those teams were interested at a four year term.
I agree, though I can perhaps see a bigger AAV if he went elsewhere for shorter term, but 1.8% on the cap is not going to hurt this team. The highest caphit is 7M. The Isles can afford to spread. He's also worth more to the Islanders with Trotz's trust and usage in the 4th line. I am a believer that you need 4 lines to win in the NHL.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I agree, though I can perhaps see a bigger AAV if he went elsewhere for shorter term, but 1.8% on the cap is not going to hurt this team. The highest caphit is 7M. The Isles can afford to spread. He's also worth more to the Islanders with Trotz's trust and usage in the 4th line. I am a believer that you need 4 lines to win in the NHL.

Most signings like this start out with similar justifications. Sometimes they work out throughout the contract.

Too often the team ends up wishing they had an extra roster slot for a bottom 6 forward in a future year. Whether that slot is for a cheaper, hungrier player; shaving some small amount of cap space; or just to fit a young draft pick in on the roster. Nothing negative at all about Martin. Oddly my take is it's short-sighted to sign a player like Martin to a long-sighted contract.

Reactions: Curufinwe

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Again with Greene, he’s a fine player and the contract probably isn’t going to kill you, but in a year where players are getting hammered on contracts who was bidding against the Islanders such that they needed to give him those bonuses? Lou potentially spent $2 million of next year’s cap space on a depth defenseman (bonuses are games played, and correct me if I’m wrong but he’s expected to have a regular roster spot?).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Again with Greene, he’s a fine player and the contract probably isn’t going to kill you, but in a year where players are getting hammered on contracts who was bidding against the Islanders such that they needed to give him those bonuses? Lou potentially spent $2 million of next year’s cap space on a depth defenseman (bonuses are games played, and correct me if I’m wrong but he’s expected to have a regular roster spot?).
Not sure what was out there but he's great. It's possible his market was similar to Z who went to Washington on a similar contract. Now obviously Z is Z but Greene is a really good third pairing dman who can PK well and has leadership qualities.

I could easily see Martin getting 3 years 2 per. Austin Watson got 3 years and 1.5 per.

I think these guys signing PTO's and closeness with Lou and the team gave off an impression they aren't desired league wide which I think is proven to be false here.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Staple reported up to 7 teams were interested. Martin is one of the best 4th line players in hockey. He also is also very good defensively, and 1 of tbe best team players in the game. These type of intangibles are rare. The caphit is minuscule for what all the positives brings to a team IMO. Let's not forget he also scored 5 goals in the playoff run.

I forgot he stepped to Babcock. That’s the kind of teammate he is. Interesting that Leo was involved and he’s now an islander.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I forgot he stepped to Babcock. That’s the kind of teammate he is. Interesting that Leo was involved and he’s now an islander.
I actually did not know of this incident SI90 until I read it last night. It makes sense now why Babcock just stopped playing Martin in the 2nd half of his final year there. When I read it, it sounds just like Martin. He and Marner are reportedly very close. I know when Martin was traded Marner posted he was heartbroken. But wow, for Martin to stand up to Babcock when he was at his peak of powers, I respect him even more today. He basically stuck his neck out for a fellow player on principle, and the cost could have been his career. Lucky for him, the Isles wanted him. And he is now under a great player's coach and appreciated by Isles fans and Mgt.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

My guess is barring injury he probably plays 35-45 games. I can see them benching him in some back to backs to rest him for the playoffs and give somebody else a shot. All that being said I guess he makes opening day on ice roster

Leddy-Mayfield
Pelech-Pulock
Greene-Dobson

Losing Toews and Boychuk basically opened up 2 spots

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Question does the term on Martin concern you?
Although he left a few years ago, Matt Martin is now Mr. Islander and will be a fixture in the organization when his playing days are over. I suspect he has a gentleman's agreement with the Isles that if his play were to fall off towards the end of his contract, he would retire early and move upstairs. The two sides will make the $ work out if that were to happen.

But to answer your question, of course the term is too much!

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Martin will end up on LTIR, this is Lou we're talking about.

(Unless Lou leaves before it gets to that point of course)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad