Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Isles sign Andy Greene (1 year, $700k + $2M Performance) & Matt Martin (4 years, $1.5M AAV)

Jan 21, 2018
Martin's cap hit is really $800K extra (since anybody you replace him with has to make at least $700K). So is Martin worth an extra 0.9% of your cap? I'd argue "yes", even if it lasts 1-2 year longer than the ideal situation.

Ah yes, I remember Leaf fans giving a similar speech to justify the signing when Colton Orr signed a similar 4 year contract.

No matter how you try and spin it, a 4th liner was signed for 4 years.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Ah yes, I remember Leaf fans giving a similar speech to justify the signing when Colton Orr signed a similar 4 year contract.

No matter how you try and spin it, a 4th liner was signed for 4 years.

Cizikas is a 4th liner, was signed to 5 years and that contract turned out just fine.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cizikas is a 4th liner, was signed to 5 years and that contract turned out just fine.

Cizikas is a much better player, and he doesn't get the minutes of a 4th liner, and he was 25 years old when he was signed.

A better comparison is Beagle in Vancouver.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Cizikas is a much better player, and he doesn't get the minutes of a 4th liner, and he was 25 years old when he was signed.

A better comparison is Beagle in Vancouver.

Lol not even close, if you're gonna compare him to Beagle it's Beagle in Washington (sick contract would do again)

31 year old Beagle signing a 3x1.75 contract
vs
31 year old Martin signing a 4x1.5 contract
vs
34 year old Beagle signing a 4x3 contract

One of these is very not like the others

I hate the Isles but holy shit this thread is just full of utter ignorance rofl,

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cizikas is a 4th liner (and definitely was when he signed 4 years ago).

9th among NYI forwards in ES TOI/GP in 19-20, and that includes Pageau who only played 7 games. He averaged almost two minutes more per game than Martin.

NHL Stats

Cizikas signed after scoring 29 points in 80 games. More than double Martin's career high. They are not similar players.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did Lou give a 4th liner more term than their #1C

Why would Lou *want* to give Barzal a 4 year term? Pretty sure that would have been the absolute worst (for the Isles) since it would bring him right up to free agency. 3 year terms means he's still RFA after it expires.

As for why it wasn't 5+, that's been explained because it would have resulted in a higher AAV which the Isles don't have room for right now. Now they've got 3 years more time to move some of those contracts so they can fit Barzal in on his next deal.

Reactions: MakoSlade

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
9th among NYI forwards in ES TOI/GP in 19-20, and that includes Pageau who only played 7 games. He averaged almost two minutes more per game than Martin.

NHL Stats

Cizikas signed after scoring 29 points in 80 games. More than double Martin's career high. They are not similar players.

I never claimed that Cizikas was similar to Martin-I claimed he was a 4th liner when he signed his contract (and that he still is).

Cizikas did not sign his contract last year. Cizikas's contract started in 16-17. During the 15-16 season he was 13th among Islander forwards in TOI.

Cizikas currently plays on the 4th line for the Islanders. Barzal, Nelson, and Pageau are the top 3 centers. Cizikas does kill penalties which is going to add to his TOI, factor that in with the Isles rolling out 4 lines consistently of course Cizikas's icetime doesn't reflect an average 4th liner. However, that doesn't mean he's not on the team's 4th line: he is.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Perfectly fine with Martin's term and cost. He's a consumate pro, bleeds blue and orange and even if he isn't a human wrecking ball the last two years of his contract he's a relentless forechecker. That won't change.

The Greene bonus structure is stupid. Putting any money towards next year's cap is moronic. Even with his intangibles and how he'll mentor Dobson and ease pressure off him it's still too much. It's virtually guaranteed as well barring injury.

Man I can't wait till 2022-23 when our cap problems shouldn't be so brutal. Still, if this team doesn't win a couple rounds this year it's going to get ugly (and I am one that thinks they could win the Cup or finish 6th in the East and be in the lottery...).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad