Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Isles sign Andy Greene (1 year, $700k + $2M Performance) & Matt Martin (4 years, $1.5M AAV)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The contract is fine from a salary cap concern. Most of that can be buried if his can't continue to play at an NHL level. So, lock him in if term was going to be the deciding factor on him staying.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
lol 1.5x4

You should NEVER give fourth liners that much term. Ever.

Doesn't matter how "good" they are.

inb4 "iT CaN Be mOsTlY BuRiEd"

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
How many times will this go back and forth between being a rumour and confirmed? I swear this has been going on for months now.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The term is a concern, but I doubt Lou will still even be around when it becomes a problem in year 3 or 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SI90

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
That is some pretty impressive mental gymnastics, and I like Martin. The term is a concern, but I doubt Lou will still even be around when it becomes a problem in year 3 or 4

How is it a concern? At this cap hit he's gonna be worth it as a glue guy even if his play completely falls off.

He gives the Isles a line that lets them close the gap with much better teams by playing what are low impact minutes for other teams super effectively, he's easily worth it.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
How is it a concern? At this cap hit he's gonna be worth it as a glue guy even if his play completely falls off.

He gives the Isles a line that lets them close the gap with much better teams by playing what are low impact minutes for other teams super effectively, he's easily worth it.

just like Andrew Ladd and Kyle Okposo and any other UFA getting term like that at that age.

Every contract beyond like two years is always a concern.

Reactions: SI90

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
just like Andrew Ladd and Kyle Okposo and any other UFA getting term like that at that age.

Every contract beyond like two years is always a concern.

Oh shit didn't realize Lou gave Martin 6 million and not 550k over league min. Yeah Isles are doomed

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Oh shit didn't realize Lou gave Martin 6 million and not 550k over league min. Yeah Isles are doomed

Islanders are already struggling to sign Barzal and somehow have to come up with space to sign Pelech, Sorokin and Cizikas next offseason, if you want to waste money on a 4th liner, go ahead.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Islanders are already struggling to sign Barzal and somehow have to come up with space to sign Pelech, Sorokin and Cizikas next offseason, if you want to waste money on a 4th liner, go ahead.

Yeah spending 1.5 million on a physical vet who outscored 80 million worth of Rangers players in the playoffs this year is such a waste.

His cap hit would be what, the 5th largest buyout on your team?

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah spending 1.5 million on a physical vet who outscored 80 million worth of Rangers players in the playoffs this year is such a waste.

His cap hit would be what, the 5th largest buyout on your team?

jeeze what's with the hate? I must have really struck a nerve with the truth.

It must suck nobody even remembers the Islanders were in the ECF. I wouldnt dare brag about it when we made it in 2012 and 15.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
jeeze what's with the hate? I must have really struck a nerve with the truth.

It must suck nobody even remembers the Islanders were in the ECF. I wouldnt dare brag about it when we made it in 2012 and 15.

What truth lol? You're attacking an impact character player (who outscored the entire Rangers team in the playoffs this year, just truth bro) while the Rangers are stuck paying crap like Trouba and Smith orders of magnitude more (until they get bought out too lol). If the Rangers had any character players they'd probably be able to make the playoffs this year instead of falling apart at the first sign of adversity.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
What truth lol? You're attacking an impact character player (who outscored the entire Rangers team in the playoffs this year, just truth bro) while the Rangers are stuck paying crap like Trouba and Smith orders of magnitude more (until they get bought out too lol). If the Rangers had any character players they'd probably be able to make the playoffs this year instead of falling apart at the first sign of adversity.

All I said was the term is a concern, which is straight up undeniable fact. A 4 year contract for a 31 year old grinder is a concern, no matter the team or rivalry. Tavares getting 7 years is a concern, Panarin getting 7 years is a concern, Kreider getting 7 years is a huge concern (at least I can admit it). All contracts for players approaching or over the age of 30 is a concern.

You can keep your character players, I'm very happy with Zibanejad, Panarin who are better than anyone on the Islanders with Fox and Lafreniere not far behind.

Try going on a real playoff run in a real season before being this cocky. Islanders would not have even made the playoffs if not for the COVID shutdown with Cizikas and Pelech both out.

The truth hurts which is why you keep weirdly deflecting and randomly bringing up the Rangers

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
The term is not a concern as there is zero risk at the cap hit. You brought up "comparables" who make 4x as much. If he becomes half the player he is now he's still worth close to that cap hit. If he becomes non NHL material he can still be packaged with a 3rd round pick to a rebuilding team. If they can't do that worst case it's a 500k cap hit after he gets waived. In the meanwhile they keep a 4th line that lets them even the playing field against much better teams.

Islanders went from looking like they wouldn't make the playoffs to ultimately winning what is 3 playoff series (so like making the finals in a normal year), largely thanks to Martin stepping up the way they did. Rangers could use a guy like that to mentor Lafreniere instead of the spineless players that ever so spectacularly folded to Carolina of all teams. I can see Martin getting a 3 million dollar Bobby Holik retirement special from them after this contract is over rofl. Will be fun to see the tune on him change overnight

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
lol 1.5x4

You should NEVER give fourth liners that much term. Ever.

Doesn't matter how "good" they are.

inb4 "iT CaN Be mOsTlY BuRiEd"
I said it while Lou was the Leafs GM that he's really not that great in his assessments. He has this reputation that he's been riding for decades but he knows f*** all about the players. I know Islanders fans will stick up for him but seriously, you can do better than a guy pushing 80 who doesn't even know who Raffi Torres is.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Some funny reading. Not unlike the "ridiculous term" given to Johnson and Mayfield. If he got 4 for 2 years or 5 for 3 years don't know how much discussion there would be. Fact is, no one has confirmed the actual number. Burying this contract in the last year is easy if needed. Rewarding a guy who is core and has played the waiting game to sign here has value. Now, go ahead and continue the Lou hate because the GM he replaced or the GM who replaced him was/is obviously much better/smarter/wins or has won more.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't really have a problem with the salary or term but can echo the "it's just another long-term contract for a team with cap issues" crowd. That's a valid assessment.

It would bother me more if Czikas has the same type of season as last year, gets injured again and is extended. Same for Clutterbuck. Martin may be the least talented of the three but he's been universally liked by his teammates wherever he's played. He's the perfect 4th line player to bring along the youth that makes the squad. He also plays an honest game, straightforward and his effort is never in question.

I'm more curious to see length and term for Greene. THAT might upset me. Wilde or Bolduc should be taking minutes in the top 6 in 2021-2022. If Greene is given two years at anything more than 1.5 I'm very concerned.

Core should be Barzal, Beauvillier, Dobson, Sorokin, Pulock, Pelech, Pageau and Nelson (I really, REALLY like how he's developed under Trotz...he's become an excellent 2nd line center. I think a lot of NHL teams would love to have a guy capable of 30-30 as their second line center). That's three strong centers, a legitimate 1st pairing with a potential defensive stud in the 3 spot with a developing forward and goalie with pedigree. That's a strong basis for a contending (or really good pretending) team.

We'll see...obviously anyone that comes into an Islander thread and goes "WAAAH, CAP PROBLEMS" is somewhat correct. Hopefully Seattle takes someone with salary without a significant sweetener and we can resign Sorokin, Beau and Pelech to reasonable deals. Til then we've got a team that can play with anyone

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Crybabies at their finest. You can almost bury all of that 1.5 into minors if you want to. He fits really well in Islanders and is important part of the team. Nothing wrong paying 1.5 to 4th liner.

Reactions: Strait2thecup

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Ah yes the Godfather strikes again.

4 years and 1.5M in a flat cap world for a 32 year old, fourth line grinder.

And people say Lou would have scarred Matthews and Marner into signing for less than 8-9M LOL

Imagine thinking you’re better off when your GM gives a 21 year old the second highest AAV deal in the league that takes him right to unrestricted free agency

Reactions: BrockLobster

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
All I said was the term is a concern, which is straight up undeniable fact. A 4 year contract for a 31 year old grinder is a concern, no matter the team or rivalry. Tavares getting 7 years is a concern, Panarin getting 7 years is a concern, Kreider getting 7 years is a huge concern (at least I can admit it). All contracts for players approaching or over the age of 30 is a concern.

You can keep your character players, I'm very happy with Zibanejad, Panarin who are better than anyone on the Islanders with Fox and Lafreniere not far behind.

Try going on a real playoff run in a real season before being this cocky. Islanders would not have even made the playoffs if not for the COVID shutdown with Cizikas and Pelech both out.

The truth hurts which is why you keep weirdly deflecting and randomly bringing up the Rangers

Unrelated note. Zib is not better than barzal. And fox is no where close to pulock or pelech. If only the isles played in manhattan than they could also be gifted FAs and winning lotteries every year. But we digress...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad