Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Isles sign Andy Greene (1 year, $700k + $2M Performance) & Matt Martin (4 years, $1.5M AAV)

Jan 21, 2018
Imagine thinking you’re better off when your GM gives a 21 year old the second highest AAV deal in the league that takes him right to unrestricted free agency

Imagine thinking you’re better off when your GM overpays your 4th liners instead of your star players.

I can totally understand why you are so concerned with contract length. It's obviously an important factor for your team, but the Leafs don't need to worry about retaining their star players.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Imagine thinking you’re better off when your GM overpays your 4th liners instead of your star players.

I can totally understand why you are so concerned with contract length. It's obviously an important factor for your team, but the Leafs don't need to worry about retaining their star players.

Mhmmmmm giving a 21 year old the largest RFA AAV ever while buying 0 UFA years, which often impacts contract value was a greatttt move by dumbas. He clearly knows what he’s doing and that’s why the paper tiger leafs have seen so much playoff success.

You’re right though I’m very sad that a guy who scored 5 goals (all of which were quite important) in playoffs is signed for a measly 1.5m for 2 years too long :/. But hey, as a leafs fan I wouldn’t expect you to understand the concept of locking up guys who contribute in the post season

in all seriousness now that I’ve effectively ruffled your feathers by bashing your clearly inferior team, hickey and Leo is where Lou messed up. This contract isn’t the one to be complaining about

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
That's not much more than minimum NHL salary, for a useful veteran beloved in the locker room and the community. What's the problem?

Reactions: NinjaKick

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
The term is a concern, but I doubt Lou will still even be around when it becomes a problem in year 3 or 4
Worst case scenario is that his play deteriorates and he no longer warrants a roster spot. In which case, his caphit becomes 500k when he gets sent down to the AHL. Doesn't seem like much of a problem to work around.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Greene was so solid for the isles last year. Good veteran presence who is still effective in his own end. Can’t argue with $700k

Also up to $2million in possible bonuses

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 in a row

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Greene will mentor Dobson like he did last year, but now they will be a regular defense pairing.

$700K is much cheaper than I thought he would get. Was expected double that.
Agreed. I was expecting 1.5 possibly even 2AAV. Greene did Lou a big favor.

He was so good defensively last year. Devils fans told us how good he was. He’s one of those guys that’s never on the highlight reels but when you get to watch him every night you notice and appreciate how good he is defensively. Guy just knows how to play the game. He’s up there in age but if he plays like he did last year I’d be ecstatic.

The cherry on top is Dobson being glued to him.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
700K with some bonuses tied to the Islanders playoffs? 200K if they make the playoffs, 250K if they win the cup? Whats Chara's bonuses?

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Agreed. I was expecting 1.5 possibly even 2AAV. Greene did Lou a big favor.

He was so good defensively last year. Devils fans told us how good he was. He’s one of those guys that’s never on the highlight reels but when you get to watch him every night you notice and appreciate how good he is defensively. Guy just knows how to play the game. He’s up there in age but if he plays like he did last year I’d be ecstatic.

The cherry on top is Dobson being glued to him.

Greene will mentor Dobson like he did last year, but now they will be a regular defense pairing.

$700K is much cheaper than I thought he would get. Was expected double that.

Agreed, I thought for sure he would be $1.25M - $1.5M.. Can't complain at this price. The 2nd rounder was well worth it for last year's playoffs and a full year this year to mentor Dobson and provide a stable veteran presence.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Aren't bonuses paid on full money? Like without escrow.

So lower caphit with minimum salary but more net money for the player via bonuses?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Any time you can get a usable player for league minimum is great. And Greene is better than just usable.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’d like to know what the bonuses are? How can we find that out?
Capfriendly is a pretty good source. The key to me is Greene wanted to come back, and took 700K on the cap to do so. This speaks volumes players look at the Island as a place to play now and not a place to avoid as previously it may have been known as. Give Malkin, Ledecky, Lou and Barry credit. The culture has done a 180 in 2 short years.
Greene, Andy35+LD/RDNHL380.9$700,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->