NYI attendance numbers...not looking good

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
There is more and more opposing Jerseys especially in the lower bowl once the Islanders moved to Brooklyn, and of course the better the team the more the fans, can not imagine what it is going to be like on February 28th when that ****ing fan base is salivating over the cup and the Islanders will either be out of the race or barely clinging on

If the Islanders are somehow in the race when they play the Leafs I can promise you that place will be packed.

Now, I feel like the attendance issues were going to happen regardless of Tavares' decision. Once they announced half of the games were going to be back home, why would all the Long Island people make the trek when they can just go to the games at Nassau.

Don't get me wrong I love that they are playing there, but the 1-2 games I was normally able to attend at Barclays I will just be going to Nassau for 5-6 games instead now.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You're an animal MJF. How many games do you see a year?

There's usually the winter beer dabbler here in late February. Fun outdoor beer festival.
Living the dream.

Now that I stopped working I’m able to finally do this sort of thing. I saw 55 NHL games last year and 6 in Bridgeport. It’s not hard to do living in the NYC area. The Rags, Devils, Flyers and Bruins are all close by. Having a wife who likes to travel helps.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Living the dream.

Now that I stopped working I’m able to finally do this sort of thing. I saw 55 NHL games last year and 6 in Bridgeport. It’s not hard to do living in the NYC area. The Rags, Devils, Flyers and Bruins are all close by. Having a wife who likes to travel helps.
Nice. Congrats!

Reactions: Quicklime

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Isles should've just committed to one or the other until the new place is built.

What was so bad about two full years at an upgraded Nassau Coliseum?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Isles should've just committed to one or the other until the new place is built.

What was so bad about two full years at an upgraded Nassau Coliseum?

That's what's going to happen. Look at how long it took the Little Caesars Arena to be built. After this year expect the team full time in Nassau for the two remaining seasons.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Barclay's is also the smallest rink in the NHL.

Even if we sold out every game, we'd still be bottom half of the league attendance

Don't know what metrics he's looking at, but there is % of capacity to account for arena size - which we are still dead last in at 64%, the next worst team is Ottawa at 75%, that's how much people give a shit about the Islanders.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Ill make a prediction that Isles scrap all future games at the rusted horseshoe after this year and play all at NVMC until they move to Belmont...

or Ronkonkoma.....

or Quebec...

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
For who? For you?

Barclays is an awful venue for watching a hockey game.

The upper bowl in Barclays is about as bad as it gets. The concourse is very narrow. The concession lines are way too long. The bathroom lines are longer than the concession lines. The temperature is colder than the south pole. The lines of sight are awful. Makes the Coliseum look great in comparison. I don't know how anybody who has sat in the upper bowl can say anything positive about the arena.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
The upper bowl in Barclays is about as bad as it gets. The concourse is very narrow. The concession lines are way too long. The bathroom lines are longer than the concession lines. The temperature is colder than the south pole. The lines of sight are awful. Makes the Coliseum look great in comparison. I don't know how anybody who has sat in the upper bowl can say anything positive about the arena.

Pretty much this. I've been to Bell Centre and Prudential which also have high seats like Barclay but they are 100X better b/c they don't have any of the other problems you just mentioned. They are also angled better so the person's head in front of you isn't blocking the ice.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
No the old barn were not more comfortable..im talking about the steepness and tightness of the actual seats now. The entire upperdeck is a joke imo.

And my murder comment was referring to driving 1.5 hours at 5mph the entire way :laugh:

Yuck. I drove under 5 mph last month from my home to a complex about 3 miles away (5 km) due to an outdoor concert near the complex

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
The way I feel towards Pajama Boi and the detestable Maple Loaf Nation , I doubt that I will attend, watch or listen to any Maple Loafs-Isles games this year.

The hateful negative vibe I have for Pajama Boi is extremely unhealthily and life is way too shor to be so consumed with hate. I don't wish him well and a big fat FU to his insincere thanks for nothing, which is what the Isles got. Very bad Karma. Very bad Juju.

ps: I have always loathed the insufferable Maple Loaf Nation, which thinks that the hockey universe rotates around Greater Toronto. It doesn't. Hell, the last cup that they won was in Black & White. I pray that they never get to play meaningful games in June.

If the Islanders are somehow in the race when they play the Leafs I can promise you that place will be packed.

Now, I feel like the attendance issues were going to happen regardless of Tavares' decision. Once they announced half of the games were going to be back home, why would all the Long Island people make the trek when they can just go to the games at Nassau.

Don't get me wrong I love that they are playing there, but the 1-2 games I was normally able to attend at Barclays I will just be going to Nassau for 5-6 games instead now.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
We have the 2nd smallest arena in the league (MTS Centre in Winnipeg has about 500 less seats). Even if they sell out every game they'd still be at the bottom of the barrel.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The way I feel towards Pajama Boi and the detestable Maple Loaf Nation , I doubt that I will attend, watch or listen to any Maple Loafs-Isles games this year.

The hateful negative vibe I have for Pajama Boi is extremely unhealthily and life is way too shor to be so consumed with hate. I don't wish him well and a big fat FU to his insincere thanks for nothing, which is what the Isles got. Very bad Karma. Very bad Juju.

ps: I have always loathed the insufferable Maple Loaf Nation, which thinks that the hockey universe rotates around Greater Toronto. It doesn't. Hell, the last cup that they won was in Black & White. I pray that they never get to play meaningful games in June.

Wow. You got the hate bad.

My Rx?

Perspective
Logic
Chill.

2 joints.

Peace.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

This.

Now that half the games are at the Coliseum, why go to a vastly inferior product at Barclay's?

It's not even an issue of pricing, because I would literally turn down free tickets to go to a game at Barclay's. It's that bad.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Didn’t read this whole thread, but my 2 cents, who gives a crap ? Who cares what the attendance is in Brooklyn ? What does attendance have to do with anything ? The sell outs will be the Ranger’s games vs us in Brooklyn and the Nasssu Coliseum games. When Belmont opens in 2021, then attendance may matter, and that 1st year, attendance will be up (first year arenas and stadiums usually sell lots of tickets). If the team is good in 2021+, attendance will be high.

But right now, it doesn’t matter.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Is it there still some kind of guarantee gate revenue from Barkley which they have to honor until Isles move out of there? It is a loss for the facility owners, isn't it? As long as it does not hit the bottom line and affect the operation of the club and their ability to meet the payroll and sign or resign players. it should not matter in the short term. Also there are revenue sharing in NHL as well. For those who attending the game, they just have to cheer louder and make sure that players do not fall sleep during the 60 minutes. Once team can consistently wins, the attendance may just improve anyhow.

Also the baseball playoff can also diminish interest going to the games as many will stay home to flick their channels and catch both games.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
that would have been a 8-10 k result even of johnny pajamas was still on the card (columbus matinee)

I'm a canadian isles fan so I've been wondering how many ''new fans'' the team attracted by moving to Barclays that have already said ''screw you'' because of the Nassau games and eventual move to Belmont

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
that would have been a 8-10 k result even of johnny pajamas was still on the card (columbus matinee)

I'm a canadian isles fan so I've been wondering how many ''new fans'' the team attracted by moving to Barclays that have already said ''screw you'' because of the Nassau games and eventual move to Belmont
More likely that the Isles didn't attract many "new fans" in Brooklyn.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I still want to know what happens if they open this arena in Belmont and it is the same thing with attendance, around 10,000 or so a night and it seems the fans are not coming to this place because it is an obscure location and you obviously do not have the fans in the city to potentially take an interest in the team

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I would love to see the stats on streaming viewers. I am sure part of this is offset by streamers..not just people like me who are out of state, out of country or overseas, but locals streaming just because it's cheaper and easier on the mileage.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I still want to know what happens if they open this arena in Belmont and it is the same thing with attendance, around 10,000 or so a night and it seems the fans are not coming to this place because it is an obscure location and you obviously do not have the fans in the city to potentially take an interest in the team
Nothing happens. The team doesn't move in 10 years due to poor attendance. The owners' investment is tied into a multi-use facility that, aside from booking concerts and other arena events, includes retail, entertainment, and a hotel.

What happens is we have competent team management in place that puts a competitive team on the ice every year. That's what attracts fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad