NYI attendance numbers...not looking good

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Nothing happens. The team doesn't move in 10 years due to poor attendance. The owners' investment is tied into a multi-use facility that, aside from booking concerts and other arena events, includes retail, entertainment, and a hotel.

What happens is we have competent team management in place that puts a competitive team on the ice every year. That's what attracts fans.

Yup. That's where the "arena alliance" comes in. Supposed to bring in solid events to the arena, which combined with the other development, in theory, are going to make the Islanders most likely more of a "loss leader" than anything else even if attendance sucks, and the attendance less relevant.

Reactions: MJF

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Nothing happens. The team doesn't move in 10 years due to poor attendance. The owners' investment is tied into a multi-use facility that, aside from booking concerts and other arena events, includes retail, entertainment, and a hotel.

What happens is we have competent team management in place that puts a competitive team on the ice every year. That's what attracts fans.
Well that is great if that is the case, but I am pretty sure if we ain't getting somewhat respectable attendance we are not getting a max cap team, but if we are getting the typical 10,000 a night the Islanders are known for and we are going to keep the team at least the next decade that is OK with me, they just need to build this thing before Ledecky and Malkin have any 2nd thoughts and they can regret it after it is built

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well that is great if that is the case, but I am pretty sure if we ain't getting somewhat respectable attendance we are not getting a max cap team, but if we are getting the typical 10,000 a night the Islanders are known for and we are going to keep the team at least the next decade that is OK with me, they just need to build this thing before Ledecky and Malkin have any 2nd thoughts and they can regret it after it is built
It seems like you can’t get passed the Islanders attendance.

You tie their future attendance to Belmont to whether they spend to the salary cap. You don’t acknowledge the rest of the Belmont development as an offset to box office revenue in down times. You have such a narrow view of how this project can benefit the Isles and the investors that your last point is you worry about Malkin and Ledecky having regrets about buying the team.

Way too narrow a view.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It’s gonna take awhile to get guys in here. I mean you can trade and draft all you want but unless you truly blow you’re not likely landing enough good players in the draft to turn the team around. The Tavares leaving thing will hurt UFA potential here for probably the next two summers til they forget then the whole new building thing will be an issue for 1-2 years. You’re looking at summer 2022 or 2023 I would say til this team is a formadable force in the UFA market. I wouldn’t expect the team is necessarily not a playoff team before that but chances are you’re looking at a wildcard team before then. I see no reason to think this team is a serious contender in the next 2-3 seasons

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It’s gonna take awhile to get guys in here. I mean you can trade and draft all you want but unless you truly blow you’re not likely landing enough good players in the draft to turn the team around. The Tavares leaving thing will hurt UFA potential here for probably the next two summers til they forget then the whole new building thing will be an issue for 1-2 years. You’re looking at summer 2022 or 2023 I would say til this team is a formadable force in the UFA market. I wouldn’t expect the team is necessarily not a playoff team before that but chances are you’re looking at a wildcard team before then. I see no reason to think this team is a serious contender in the next 2-3 seasons
Go the way Carolina does - they only sign one major UFA and most of the players that are doing well this year came from smart drafting , good coaching and development. Isles got of rid of Snow and that itself will help. Just because JT left that does not mean this team is doomed. Companies lose top executives all the time but manage to keep their business float. You have to be resilient and patient. UFA market is not always rewarding as most of the time you end up overpaying for them and it may start look good in the first few years but not so good in the later years.

Chicago, Pens and Caps won cups with their own stars and just add good supporting cast through trades to make them better. Sure they never had to lose JT and it may be difficult to replace him. However look at the league today and how many top players are of young age and this kind of talent pool will likely not be declining as the prospects are getting better & better. Just looked at Canucks Pettison who is not even talked about that much 3 years ago. You just had to have good scout and smart GM and with some luck you can pick out future stars and do not ruin them with bad coaching and trade them away too prematurely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isles72

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Go the way Carolina does - they only sign one major UFA and most of the players that are doing well this year came from smart drafting , good coaching and development. Isles got of rid of Snow and that itself will help. Just because JT left that does not mean this team is doomed. Companies lose top executives all the time but manage to keep their business float. You have to be resilient and patient. UFA market is not always rewarding as most of the time you end up overpaying for them and it may start look good in the first few years but not so good in the later years.

Chicago, Pens and Caps won cups with their own stars and just add good supporting cast through trades to make them better. Sure they never had to lose JT and it may be difficult to replace him. However look at the league today and how many top players are of young age and this kind of talent pool will likely not be declining as the prospects are getting better & better. Just looked at Canucks Pettison who is not even talked about that much 3 years. You just had to have good scout and smart GM and with some luck you can pick out future stars and do not ruin them with bad coaching and trade them away too prematurely.

Chicago, Pens and Caps won cups with their own stars and just add good supporting cast through trades to make them better. Sure they never had to lose JT and it may be difficult to replace him. However look at the league today and how many top players are of young age and this kind of talent pool will likely not be declining as the prospects are getting better & better. Just looked at Canucks Pettison who is not even talked about that much 3 years ago. You just had to have good scout and smart GM and with some luck you can pick out future stars and do not ruin them with bad coaching and trade them away too prematurely.

I am not saying a team should purposely tank as the losing culture is not good for the players, coaches nor fans. However if your current lineup is not realistically competitive enough (based on talent & chemistry) and if you have good pieces in waiting in the system, and young players like Barzy who can actually get even better over the next few years, you have to look up on the bright side and hope for better team, better arena, and better attendance. They key thing is that you need experience and expertise leaders in the front office/floor to put together a SMART plan and execute it. Marketing should also be part of it.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I am not saying a team should purposely tank as the losing culture is not good for the players, coaches nor fans. However if your current lineup is not realistically competitive enough (based on talent & chemistry) and if you have good pieces in the system already, and young players like Barzy who can actually get even better over the next few years, you have to look up on the bright side and hope for better team, better arena, and better attendance. They key thing is that you need experience and expertise leaders in the front office/floor to put together a SMART plan and execute it. Marketing should also be part of it.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I am not saying a team should purposely tank as the losing culture is not good for the players, coaches nor fans. However if your current lineup is not realistically competitive enough (based on talent & chemistry) and if you have good pieces in waiting in the system, and young players like Barzy who can actually get even better over the next few years, you have to look up on the bright side and hope for better team, better arena, and better attendance. They key thing is that you need experience and expertise leaders in the front office/floor to put together a SMART plan and execute it. Marketing should also be part of it.

Lou will Never Ever tank as long as hes in control. So if that's part of your plan, you could forget it.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Lou will Never Ever tank as long as hes in control. So if that's part of your plan, you could forget it.
No. Tanking should never be part of a plan but the team may be a realistically a lottery team this year even they tried hard the team just does not quite have enough (especially in the bottom 2 line, bottom 3 D & goalies that have trouble with being consistently good) given the division is super competitive except for Rags, now with both NJ and Canes all much improved. Pens and Caps may not be sharp now but they still have enough to finish ahead of Isles and the Flyers have consistently win the divisional series against the Isles and at time can go on a long winning streak. The truth is if you can't win most of your divisional games you will most likely miss playoff. Until Isles can do that, they will have trouble making the playoff which will make them a seller at deadline especially with the past 2 years history, they should seriously consider that with their UFA when trade deadline come close. There will be only one Wild Card spot they may be able to aim for but even that may be tough when you got TML, Bruins, Tampa, Caps, Pens, NJ, Columbus, Canes all likely will make playoff this year. If one of them slips, you will be fighting with Flyers for that final spot. It is not just about Isles, it about how tough the competitions are. If you can't beat these teams that will also translate in the standings. Then there are the tough 3 central teams (Jets, Dallas, Hawks), plus West coast teams which are never easy wins because of the travel and time difference and they can play well at home.

Realistically I think Isles finish somewhere from bottom 4 to bottom 8 but with the lottery system you can still have a very good shot at a top player. No I do not wish them tank nor do poorly but my expectation is not high for this year even with the coaching change. I would think differently next year though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->