NYI attendance numbers...not looking good

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I happen to love my seats at Barclays - i think i have one of the best bang for the buck locations there. That being said, the fact that you have to know where to sit at the arena speaks volumes about it overall. Now its true that whether someone else's view is obstructed has no bearing on my particular view. But when an arena has such a bad reputation that no one wants to go, it does start affecting you as the place is pretty empty.

I don't think its as bad as some say but the bottom line is its not a good place for a hockey game.
Belmont will be empty too.

And the reputation of Barclays was certainly not helped by whiny Long Islanders.

It's obviously not built for hockey and 20% of the seats are unusable. The ice is poor. But the seats and sight-lines themselves (from unobstructed sections) and the "atmosphere" is the same as almost every other NHL arena.

Reactions: Axel574

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
We’re going back to the coliseum for 22 games starting in December. If the average fan goes to 2-3 games per year, why would they bother going to Brooklyn when they can just wait 2 months and go to Nassau? This attendance BS is such a non-story.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I think it's the worst arena I have ever watched hockey in and a lot of people will agree with that. Even the "good" seats are tight and uncomfortable. The 1.5 hour commute each way for the majority of fans is also a huge turnoff.

Maybe you live close to Brooklyn but Belmont is a MUCH better travel for the majority of Isles fans. Plus, you can actually drive to Belmont and park without wanting to murder 75 people on the way there.

Anyway the post isn't a comparison between Belmont/BC/Coliseum...it's about attendance.

The point is that it is fully expected to have garbage attendance at BC this year when we have 20 games at the coliseum that the majority of fans would rather go to. Why waste money and time at BC when it can be used for those 20 games instead?

Yes I live close to Barclays.

Please don't tell me you think the seats at the old barn were more comfortable than Barclays.

The murder comment is exactly the foolishness I was talking about when I said Long Islanders have a irrational fear of NYC... or were your talking about being frustrated with the commute? Not sure so forgive me if I was off base.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

And the reputation of Barclays was certainly not helped by whiny Long Islanders.

It's obviously not built for hockey and 20% of the seats are unusable. The ice is poor. But the seats and sight-lines themselves (from unobstructed sections) and the "atmosphere" is the same as almost every other NHL arena.

You're not local anymore, right? I'm not being a dick, but I don't think you realize how inconvenient it is to get there. I lived in Manhattan until fairly recently so I would take the subway there and it was fantastic. But, for anyone else, it really sucks. I now drive from Westchester (to weekend games at least) and there is simply no good way to go. Its no different than from LI. Taking the train is fine on the way there (not really, but its fine enough I guess) but getting on the train on the way home sucks - especially if you're from Suffolk.

Belmont may not be packed - its not like the Coliseum was either (except for the last season) but it will be better attended than Barclays. Especially if we are good.

Reactions: MJF and PuckItUp27

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Yes I live close to Barclays.

Please don't tell me you think the seats at the old barn were more comfortable than Barclays.

The murder comment is exactly the foolishness I was talking about when I said Long Islanders have a irrational fear of NYC... or were your talking about being frustrated with the commute? Not sure so forgive me if I was off base.

No the old barn were not more comfortable..im talking about the steepness and tightness of the actual seats now. The entire upperdeck is a joke imo.

And my murder comment was referring to driving 1.5 hours at 5mph the entire way :laugh:

Reactions: MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
We’re going back to the coliseum for 22 games starting in December. If the average fan goes to 2-3 games per year, why would they bother going to Brooklyn when they can just wait 2 months and go to Nassau? This attendance BS is such a non-story.
This factor is what made Monday's game an 8.5k attendance vs. 11.5k. Although I really don't think it was that much worse than other games. As we discussed earlier this week, the counting may be different.

The attendance at the opener was a major difference than past years. IIRC, last year's opener may have had some sparsely filled obstructed sections but this year they didn't sell any of that side. It was a joke.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You're not local anymore, right? I'm not being a dick, but I don't think you realize how inconvenient it is to get there. I lived in Manhattan until fairly recently so I would take the subway there and it was fantastic. But, for anyone else, it really sucks. I now drive from Westchester (to weekend games at least) and there is simply no good way to go. Its no different than from LI. Taking the train is fine on the way there (not really, but its fine enough I guess) but getting on the train on the way home sucks - especially if you're from Suffolk.

Belmont may not be packed - its not like the Coliseum was either (except for the last season) but it will be better attended than Barclays. Especially if we are good.
I get that. It was super inconvenient for me to get to the Coliseum. Yet I went and never complained. Barclays at the time was the only option and the team was in SERIOUS jeopardy of leaving NY altogether. Instead of supporting the move (or simply not going) the most vocal critics of the arena on social media were our fans. Not uninformed journalists from out of town but Islanders fans. In fact, many stated they would rather the team moved to Quebec or KC than stay in Brooklyn. Couple that with all of the idiotic complaints about trivial crap and it just makes me disappointed in our fan base.

Reactions: nycole and Axel574

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
, the ISLES havnt had a good regular season since ????? Like ...1989 or something? 30 years without comming in 1st or 2nd place in the division or did I miss a year?...at some point, it becomes so easy to predict how the NHL standings will play out that even JT, Malkin, and the fans realize this team is not a "cup contender".

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

This doomed Barclays before the first game was ever played.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Also, it doesn’t matter where you play if the team is good. This team has been a dumpster fire for 30 years; of course the attendance is bad. This is why we need to build a contender the season before we move into Belmont.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
, the ISLES havnt had a good regular season since ????? Like ...1989 or something? 30 years without comming in 1st or 2nd place in the division or did I miss a year?...at some point, it becomes so easy to predict how the NHL standings will play out that even JT, Malkin, and the fans realize this team is not a "cup contender".

What's your point?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
This is only a big deal if you don't live in the area. Who wants to deal with going into Brooklyn with the state the LIRR is in and with games on the schedule on Long Island? I know I'm not spending a time on that commute anymore and couldn't be happier.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Maybe you forgot.

upload_2018-10-12_10-33-13.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I guess you didn't bother to read the entire post.

I know Barclays has major flaws but it's not awful.. you make it sound like a painful experience to attend a game there. You're in tunnel vision mode.
I have great seats at Barclays Center the last 3 seasons, but I’m also aware of just how many poor seats there are. It’s not just the obstructed ciew seats either. If you have a seat in the 200 level along the sides above row 10 (there’s 12 more rows) you may as well stay home and watch the game on tv. Those seats are way too far away from the ice. That constitutes an awful venue for watching a hockey game.

Reactions: PuckItUp27

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I thought it was obvious. The lack of winning results in poor attendance. The NY yankees actually had much worse attendance issues in the late 80's into the early 90's. I would watch on tv and always see a half empty building. Then the dynasty team began and they have never had a bad season since. If the ISLES could win a cup every 20 years, and come in 1st or 2nd in the division most years, they would have a lot more people going to games. If they had the caps history the last 20 years, even without the cup...or the rangers last 20 years...or Boston's....jerseys...penguin...Tampa...

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
This is only a big deal if you don't live in the area. Who wants to deal with going into Brooklyn with the state the LIRR is in and with games on the schedule on Long Island? I know I'm not spending a time on that commute anymore and couldn't be happier.

People from the boroughs never bitched about going to Uniondale ... it's this lazy, if you don't put in my lap attitude that almost sunk this franchise. It shouldn't matter where they play so long as it's NY. Uniondale, Brooklyn or Belmont I will attend as much as I possibly can...

I understand it's not easy for you and the trip is a pain in the ass but proclaiming with vigor that you won't attend shouldn't be a point of pride.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The vast majority of seats are on par with other NHL arenas.
This is going to be subjective but the upper deck at Barclays is very far removed from the ice. I’ve sat in the uppers at Wells Fargo, TD Garden, BB&T, Capital One, and had no trouble with steepness or distance from the ice.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Also, it doesn’t matter where you play if the team is good. This team has been a dumpster fire for 30 years; of course the attendance is bad. This is why we need to build a contender the season before we move into Belmont.
The moral of this thread is don’t lose your franchise player in the middle of the summer when you’re trying to sell season ticket packages for the upcoming year.

Reactions: Bones45 and Eberzal

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is going to be subjective but the upper deck at Barclays is very far removed from the ice. I’ve sat in the uppers at Wells Fargo, TD Garden, BB&T, Capital One, and had no trouble with steepness or distance from the ice.
By distance do you mean too far above the ice or too far away (i.e. to the side) of the ice? Or both? The steepness should mitigate the latter. I thought the uppers in MN, Jersey, Montreal, MSG are way worse. The uppers in TD Garden are great if you're in the first few rows. But if you're in the back, it's pretty bad. Like any arena I guess...

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
People from the boroughs never *****ed about going to Uniondale ... it's this lazy, if you don't put in my lap attitude that almost sunk this franchise. It shouldn't matter where they play so long as it's NY. Uniondale, Brooklyn or Belmont I will attend as much as I possibly can...

I understand it's not easy for you and the trip is a pain in the ass but proclaiming with vigor that you won't attend shouldn't be a point of pride.

I think you are somewhat taking that out of context.

We are saying there is no point in attending BC games when there are 20 games being played at the coliseum this year which are not only way more convenient for a large majority of the fanbase but also way more exciting and fun to be at.

Regardless of how shitty the BC is I still tried to attend 10-15 games per season. Now I will still attend 10-15 games this season..however they will be 10-15 of the coliseum games and zero at BC aside from the home opener.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I also think there is a contingency of fans trying to burn us out of Brooklyn next year as well. So without a doubt there are some who would probably have gone to games there but once they announced the possibility of all games being in Nassau next year it probably set some people onto the course of trying to force the issue by deliberately not attending Brooklyn games. I thought pre announcing that possibility was a mistake and that it would kill Barclays attendance this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad