NYI attendance numbers...not looking good

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
By distance do you mean too far above the ice or too far away (i.e. to the side) of the ice? Or both? The steepness should mitigate the latter. I thought the uppers in MN, Jersey, Montreal, MSG are way worse
Too far away.

There are worse uppers than Barclays. Prudential Center is just as bad. Montreal, Staples Center and MSG are worse. I haven’t been to Excel yet, hope to get there this February.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Too far away.

There are worse uppers than Barclays. Prudential Center is just as bad. Montreal, Staples Center and MSG are worse. I haven’t been to Excel yet, hope to get there this February.
You're a brave man. Pack your long johns. :cold:

I recommend you spring for the club seats. If only for the bathroom line convenience alone. Have dinner at Meritage before hand.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I also think there is a contingency of fans trying to burn us out of Brooklyn next year as well. So without a doubt there are some who would probably have gone to games there but once they announced the possibility of all games being in Nassau next year it probably set some people onto the course of trying to force the issue by deliberately not attending Brooklyn games. I thought pre announcing that possibility was a mistake and that it would kill Barclays attendance this year

If anyone will be forcing that issue, its Barclays. They want the Coliseum to be used as much as possible while freeing up Barclays for concerts.

Reactions: MJF

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If anyone will be forcing that issue, its Barclays. They want the Coliseum to be used as much as possible while freeing up Barclays for concerts.

Disclosing the possibility publicly though was a mistake. Even if Barclays wants it the ownership should have made sure that didn’t leak or wasn’t released because it would clearly make the more savvy fans stop attending any games there this year

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I can't think of anything more fun than getting involved in this argument. But I just wonder.

Why does anyone care?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I can't believe this thread went three pages without me chiming in. Apologies.

That being said, I can't come up with anything which I haven't already mentioned about Barclays sucking. My son and I will be at several of the Coliseum games. Zero of the Barclays games.

Go Bailey!

Reactions: PuckItUp27

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You're a brave man. Pack your long johns. :cold:

I recommend you spring for the club seats. If only for the bathroom line convenience alone. Have dinner at Meritage before hand.
How bad could it be? :laugh:

The Isles have a western Canada trip in late February that we’re talking about doing. We’re flying through Minneapolis to get to Calgary so I suggested building in an extra day in Minneapolis to catch a Wild game.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

That being said, I can't come up with anything which I haven't already mentioned about Barclays sucking. My son and I will be at several of the Coliseum games. Zero of the Barclays games.

Go Bailey!
Bailey who?

Reactions: Bones45

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
People from the boroughs never *****ed about going to Uniondale ... it's this lazy, if you don't put in my lap attitude that almost sunk this franchise. It shouldn't matter where they play so long as it's NY. Uniondale, Brooklyn or Belmont I will attend as much as I possibly can...

I understand it's not easy for you and the trip is a pain in the ass but proclaiming with vigor that you won't attend shouldn't be a point of pride.

It's not a point of pride, it sucks and if I was still working in the city I would go. The move is too much of an inconvenience and cost factor for myself, friends and family here in Suffolk to go on the regular.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015

Go Bailey!

:(

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

The Isles have a western Canada trip in late February that we’re talking about doing. We’re flying through Minneapolis to get to Calgary so I suggested building in an extra day in Minneapolis to catch a Wild game.

I would suggest to have a day buffer on either side of the trip to allow for the inevitable blizzard you're likely to encounter with those destinations....

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I never came close to saying this so I hope you were not referring to me as the "people" ... Brooklyn has the mass transit hub option that Nassau county lacks. Clearly in this situation it didn't matter but most arenas in a highly populated area consider that feature a necessity for a high attendance.

I grew up in Lynbrook so LI born and raised but the fear some Long Islanders have of NYC is comical.

How did you not come close to saying that? You said it would be more convenient than Belmont. Since Belmont isn’t even built yet, you can’t possibly be talking about the building itself, so you are talking about the commute.

There isn’t a “fear” of NYC, it’s simply a pain in the ass to deal with, especially if you aren’t used to it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How did you not come close to saying that? You said it would be more convenient than Belmont. Since Belmont isn’t even built yet, you can’t possibly be talking about the building itself, so you are talking about the commute.

There isn’t a “fear” of NYC, it’s simply a pain in the ass to deal with, especially if you aren’t used to it.
And even if you are.:nod:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

You're an animal MJF. How many games do you see a year?

There's usually the winter beer dabbler here in late February. Fun outdoor beer festival.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Too far away.

The vast majority of nhl arenas will have worse uppers than Barclays. The newer arenas are incredibly high - try going to Montreal or Chicago ( and they aren't even that new). Nassau and MSG have low roofs so NY fans are a little spoiled. Islanders fans are passionate, but part of the reason we seemed so loud was because of the low roof. Put Montreal fans in Nassau and they'd blow off the roof.

One thing I've noticed is Barclays has really high railings, so many of the first and second row seats are blocked. That's a bummer for someone not familiar with the arena and looking for tickets. That was my main complaint.

Last year I bought a ticket on stubhub that was near the corner of the lower bowl. Now I may have over-reacted because I only gave that seat a chance during pre-game when the lighting on the ice wasn't fully engaged, but i thought the view through the glass behind the goalie was way too distorted, and then the glass on the side of the ice was also distorted in an even worse way. I thought about the six hour drive and the $180 i dropped on a hotel and decided I wasn't go to settle for a s*** seat. So I ate the $70 and immediately got on stubhub to get a different seat and walked around the arena to check out the views. Thirty minutes before the game i paid $65 for a seat in 123 that was drop dead perfect, my view was just above the glass. When I accessed stubhub there was a row of six in my aisle (I got the aisle seat as an unexpected bonus!). Right after the anthem, two guys sat down next to me and told me they just bought their seats for $35 on stubhub. The aisle filled a few minutes into the game, I didn't even ask the others how much they paid.

So even after eating a ticket I paid $135 for one of the best seats in the house... probably typical in the nhl. I go to Boston and Montreal for biz a lot but I can't afford those games. Barclays center isn't great, but after being spoiled with dirt cheap tickets at an arena with the best viewing lines in the NHL anything would seem bad to Isles fans.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm curious. I mean, are people nervous that low numbers mean the owners might not build the arena?

Why do you care about why I asked? Oh, nevermind. I know the answer to that question.
Attendance figures are always relevant conversations, no? I mean, we talk about Anders Lee tweeting the word "loyalty" and whether or not there was a hidden meaning. We discuss and over-analyze every minutiae of this team including the business side. Given the team's poor attendance of the past 30 years and all the arena issues, having a conversation about it seems kinda normal.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Considering the deal is tied to a much larger development project literally nobody could go to the games and the arena would still get built I’d imagine

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Attendance figures are always relevant conversations, no? I mean, we talk about Anders Lee tweeting the word "loyalty" and whether or not there was a hidden meaning. We discuss and over-analyze every minutiae of this team including the business side. Given the team's poor attendance of the past 30 years and all the arena issues, having a conversation about it seems kinda normal.

Still waiting for my Cupholders thread. Seems like its the natural progression of things.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Given the team's poor attendance of the past 30 years and all the arena issues, having a conversation about it seems kinda normal.

The team is not viable in its current situation. Beating that dead horse is normal, but pointless. The owners are going to build an arena. Questions about the viability of the team in that new arena are important. I wasn't trying to shut down a conversation - I was wondering if anyone was nervous. If people are merely concerned about the short-term bottom lines of billionaires, please continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad