NYI attendance numbers...not looking good

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

We are worst in the league right now...

I was at Barclays on Monday and in past years, even still sucking they were filled that day as it was a holiday with the kids being off.

I'd like the numbers to pick up as I don't want to jeopardize the Belmont arena, which could jeopardize them staying in the NYC metro area.

On that note, it is interesting watching the game highlights around the league and it seems this year, maybe more than in the past, that a lot of arenas are empty or have large numbers of vacant seats.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
this is not surprising considering we've played two Western teams and a Monday matinee is never a sell out is it ? Had we played the Pens and Rangs we would be much higher up the list

Against Nashville there seemed to be an awful lot of yellow in the stands..but hopefully things will pick up as the season gets along

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
As I predicted Tav**es was leaving I also knew him leaving could have an awful effect on the future of this team if there is any hold up in the arena getting built as I am sure Ledecky and Malkin are going to see how awful the attendance is in Brooklyn and Nassau and they could see it as them dodging a bullet in building a billion dollar arena that is probably going to get the same garbage attendance.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
this is not surprising considering we've played two Western teams and a Monday matinee is never a sell out is it ? Had we played the Pens and Rangs we would be much higher up the list

Against Nashville there seemed to be an awful lot of yellow in the stands..but hopefully things will pick up as the season gets along
There is more and more opposing Jerseys especially in the lower bowl once the Islanders moved to Brooklyn, and of course the better the team the more the fans, can not imagine what it is going to be like on February 28th when that f***ing fan base is salivating over the cup and the Islanders will either be out of the race or barely clinging on

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
oh gee a Monday matinee on what is really not a holiday affected the attendance figures.

Not concerned.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Why is anybody surprised at this??

We have 20 games at the coliseum this year. Everybody is waiting for those games. There is no point in going to shithole BC when we can wait til December 1st and hit 20 games from then through the end of the year.

I went to the opener b/c I go every year. I won bottom section tickets for Monday and skipped the game completely. No point in wasting half a day going to and from Brooklyn to sit in a shitty arena when I can watch on TV and wait to spend my money on most of the coliseum games.

Those coliseum games will be mostly sold out.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
We could have just bumped the same thread from last year. The team is building a new arena closer to where the fans are because attendance sucks in Brooklyn. This is not news.

If they play well, they'll do a decent (enough) job of bridging the gap until the new arena is done. If not, attendance will continue to suck.

And we'll see sell outs - or close to it - at the Coliseum and the commentators will have a field day pushing whatever agenda they have at the moment.

All good.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
The fact that the team is playing half the games in the Coli means no one wants to travel to Brooklyn. Obviously only 3 games in but id expect Barclays numbers to be pretty low this season

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
1. Can someone tell me how you get more than a 100% capacity? Standing room only seating?

2. The Red Wings are changing the color of their red seats in Little Caesars due to lack of attendance, yet they're top 3 to begin the season.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Why is anybody surprised at this??

We have 20 games at the coliseum this year. Everybody is waiting for those games. There is no point in going to ****hole BC when we can wait til December 1st and hit 20 games from then through the end of the year.

I went to the opener b/c I go every year. I won bottom section tickets for Monday and skipped the game completely. No point in wasting half a day going to and from Brooklyn to sit in a ****ty arena when I can watch on TV and wait to spend my money on most of the coliseum games.

Those coliseum games will be mostly sold out.

C'mon man... Barclays isn't great but if you know where to sit it's a fine place to watch a hockey game. It's certainly more convenient than Belmont will be and on a personal level my attendance will most certainly drop after this season strictly based on the new distance.

I suppose for others the opposite is true ... as long as team remains in NY I'm happy.

Barclays is far from a sh!thole.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Barclay's is also the smallest rink in the NHL.

Even if we sold out every game, we'd still be bottom half of the league attendance

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
C'mon man... Barclays isn't great but if you know where to sit it's a fine place to watch a hockey game. It's certainly more convenient than Belmont will be and on a personal level my attendance will most certainly drop after this season strictly based on the new distance.

I suppose for others the opposite is true ... as long as team remains in NY I'm happy.

For who? For you?

Barclays is an awful venue for watching a hockey game.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
For who? For you?

Yeah I’m not really sure how people can say Brooklyn is an easier commute for a majority of the fanbase. Belmont will be easier for people on LI and for someone like me who’s up in the Hudson Valley, it’ll be 10x easier since I can go around the city completely and avoid it all together.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
For who? For you?

I guess you didn't bother to read the entire post.

I know Barclays has major flaws but it's not awful.. you make it sound like a painful experience to attend a game there. You're in tunnel vision mode.

Reactions: Macch

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I happen to love my seats at Barclays - i think i have one of the best bang for the buck locations there. That being said, the fact that you have to know where to sit at the arena speaks volumes about it overall. Now its true that whether someone else's view is obstructed has no bearing on my particular view. But when an arena has such a bad reputation that no one wants to go, it does start affecting you as the place is pretty empty.

I don't think its as bad as some say but the bottom line is its not a good place for a hockey game.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Yeah I’m not really sure how people can say Brooklyn is an easier commute for a majority of the fanbase. Belmont will be easier for people on LI and for someone like me who’s up in the Hudson Valley, it’ll be 10x easier since I can go around the city completely and avoid it all together.

I never came close to saying this so I hope you were not referring to me as the "people" ... Brooklyn has the mass transit hub option that Nassau county lacks. Clearly in this situation it didn't matter but most arenas in a highly populated area consider that feature a necessity for a high attendance.

I grew up in Lynbrook so LI born and raised but the fear some Long Islanders have of NYC is comical.

Last edited:
Reactions: nycole

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I happen to love my seats at Barclays - i think i have one of the best bang for the buck locations there. That being said, the fact that you have to know where to sit at the arena speaks volumes about it overall. Now its true that whether someone else's view is obstructed has no bearing on my particular view. But when an arena has such a bad reputation that no one wants to go, it does start affecting you as the place is pretty empty.

I don't think its as bad as some say but the bottom line is its not a good place for a hockey game.

100% true.

Don't get me wrong... I don't want the team to stay at Barclays and I'm happy about Belmont.. I just don't think Brooklyn is the disaster it's painted as on this forum.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017

I think it's the worst arena I have ever watched hockey in and a lot of people will agree with that. Even the "good" seats are tight and uncomfortable. The 1.5 hour commute each way for the majority of fans is also a huge turnoff.

Maybe you live close to Brooklyn but Belmont is a MUCH better travel for the majority of Isles fans. Plus, you can actually drive to Belmont and park without wanting to murder 75 people on the way there.

Anyway the post isn't a comparison between Belmont/BC/Coliseum...it's about attendance.

The point is that it is fully expected to have garbage attendance at BC this year when we have 20 games at the coliseum that the majority of fans would rather go to. Why waste money and time at BC when it can be used for those 20 games instead?

Reactions: MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
100% true.

Don't get me wrong... I don't want the team to stay at Barclays and I'm happy about Belmont.. I just don't think Brooklyn is the disaster it's painted as on this forum.
I'll co-sign all of that. More than anything, the location of Barclays is the real problem. Unless you live in Manhattan or Bklyn, there is simply no good way to get there. Take the inconvenience of the location and dump on top of it the real flaws of the actual stadium and the whole situation becomes a tire fire.

Reactions: MJF and PuckItUp27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad