GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Provorov, Sergachev, Namestnikov and Kucherov already played in North America. They weren't brought over. Anisimov played a full season in Russia after being drafted. Malkin played 2 full seasons in Russia after being drafted (1 was our lockout year). Kuznetsov played 4 seasons in Russia after being drafted. Tarasenko played 3 years in Russia after being drafted.

The only person that's left is Ovechkin. And I don't know what you are referring to with sarcasm and attitude. There was 0 sarcasm in my post and I was genuinely curious about the list you were referring to.

Ovie probably would've been fine after his draft year but he also spent the lockout year in Russia as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Namestnikov also grew up partially in the USA, so I wouldn't say his situation is all that comparable to a lot of these players.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Clarke said that Buchnevich had not seen the inside of a weight room when he came over. Buch said that he didn’t workout in the gym when he was in Russia during the off season last season because there is no gym there. Is Buch a mytomaniac?? ;)

Russian teams train very hard. It might be that they had not done biceps curls or benched pressed stuff 24/7, but...

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Clarke said that Buchnevich had not seen the inside of a weight room when he came over. Buch said that he didn’t workout in the gym when he was in Russia during the off season last season because there is no gym there. Is Buch a mytomaniac?? ;)

Russian teams train very hard. It might be that they had not done biceps curls or benched pressed stuff 24/7, but...

I think they do a lot more running and less weights.

Reactions: Ola and Inferno

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Stupid question but since I've been busy the last 2 weeks and have barely had time to jump on this site but when people say the big 5 I'm assuming they're talking Chytil Anderson Kravstov Miller and Lundkvist?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Stupid question but since I've been busy the last 2 weeks and have barely had time to jump on this site but when people say the big 5 I'm assuming they're talking Chytil Anderson Kravstov Miller and Lundkvist?
Nope, apparently that means Chytil Andersson Howden Hajek Lindgren - the main 5 acquisitions from last year

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
This guy just wants Kravtsov to play in Europe so he can take his trip from Vienna to go watch him. Do you realize it looks and feels that’s what your basing where The kid should pay. He just got drafted by the rangers, you know how easy it will be for him to get a loan, pays his buyout and he signs with the rangers and pays off the loan. It doesn’t have to be under the table. Best thing for this kid is the route Chytil took. No doubt. Developed and coached by the rangers and given all the ice-time he can handle. Not playing one last season in the khl before he bolts for the US. He won’t get coached or developed or played genuinely just bc of that. Totally the wrong move to leave him there
I dont think a single thing you said here is true. I think you decided where you want him to play so you came up with whatever is convenient to your argument

Reading further you claim it was a joke . You failed to give any indication it was a joke. It's pretty reasonable for people to interpret what you said as your opinion.

You're also a hypocrite. You chastise him for simply opining that khl may be better bc he couldn't possibly know that according to you. Then you proceed to state repeatedly that the ahl will factually be better. Which is it?

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I say it bc the kid was hardly played all season until he went on such a tear the coach had to play him. Don’t tell me he’s gonna get developed/coached/and played as much and well in russia on traktor whatever, as he would in Hartford, an hr away from the rangers training facility and playing/growing with the new faces that are gonna be in Hartford.

Sorry bud, i disagree with you. But yeah, you like to travel, fly into Newark and get out to Hartford or go Up to michigan for traverse city, you’ll get to see everyone. Maybe even get some autographs if your that kind of guy
This is stupid. You act like it's unreasonable to think he could even possibly develop better in russia. He might be better in the ahl, sure. Who exactly is denying that? (Besides pavel who i think is pretty obviously making his decision based solely on his own russian bias) It's not certain either way.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think they do a lot more running and less weights.

I played for a Russian coach a bit. I am not 100% sure the exact English word for it, but we practiced a ton on different improvised obscle courses. Much shorter than the military version, say that it took a min or two. Very leg focused, ton of hurdles, fast feets through tires, walking like 60 feets while squatting/sitting down. It was great training.

But Russians have always done heavy leg squats. Three trunk legs. Especially the Ds. Think Kaspar, Volchenkov, Zhitnik and co. Malakhov. Hockey and weights goes hand in hand. Clarke surely meant that Buchnevich had not spent enough time in the gym. But Buch comments that there were no gym in his home town was a bit of an alternative fact. ;)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

Does this surprise anyone? This kid plays with zero effort. Could be a 60 70 pt player if he learned To be a pro. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s dealt if he shows up to camp the same way this year. Quinn won’t stand for it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does this surprise anyone? This kid plays with zero effort. Could be a 60 70 pt player if he learned To be a pro. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s dealt if he shows up to camp the same way this year. Quinn won’t stand for it.

I guess its settled then. When he's playing well, he gives effort. When he's not playing well, he's not giving effort. Typical Russian?

It really isn't as simple as you make it seem. You are overreacting because he didn't have a good end to the season. Its unbelievably reactionary.

Reactions: Fvital92

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I guess its settled then. When he's playing well, he gives effort. When he's not playing well, he's not giving effort. Typical Russian?

It really isn't as simple as you make it seem. You are overreacting because he didn't have a good end to the season. Its unbelievably reactionary.

OTOH Buchnevich needs to improve on his weight and strength. I think once he does that he will take a real step forward because the skills are definitely there. He comes across as weak to me--saying that though he put up over 40 points last year--if he gets stronger I'm thinking that will improve. 40 points isn't bad at all but IMO with his talent he's capable of so much more. Different coaching staff this year hopefully will help him but he's got to do more than just rely on skills.

Reactions: egelband

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
OTOH Buchnevich needs to improve on his weight and strength. I think once he does that he will take a real step forward because the skills are definitely there. He comes across as weak to me--saying that though he put up over 40 points last year--if he gets stronger I'm thinking that will improve. 40 points isn't bad at all but IMO with his talent he's capable of so much more. Different coaching staff this year hopefully will help him but he's got to do more than just rely on skills.

He should've had more than 40, but he also shouldn't have. Considering his ice time, he had a really productive season. If you would've been told the amount of ice time he'd play along with such a up and down role within the lineup, I think 40+ points wouldn't have been considered bad. It's actually really hard to play such a small role, and score more than he did. He clearly exceeded expectations up until the last two or so months. If he could've held that level of play for a full season, it would've definitely been over 40, likely around 60. But who plays 15:00 and leads the team in scoring? Hard to keep up. I think we've seen that he plays well with Kreider and Zibanejad. AV did his usual blame Buchnevich routine late on, and took him off that line. Just like that he started playing bad hockey. And we saw a lot of players whose games "dropped off" once the team went into sell mode.

He looks much stronger now than when he was drafted or even when he first joined the team. I think a lot of the strength comments are mostly exaggerated at this point. He's up into the mid 190's or maybe even 200. He's naturally a lanky kid, not every 6'2+ forward will play at 210+. Some guys just have a lanky build, and don't put on weight that easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Literally has zero to do with being Russian and everything to do with attitude. If you want to bring up being Russian as an excuse that’s on you certainly not me.

He mailed it in half the time. He completely no showed after the trade deadline when he had plenty of opportunity.

The director of player personnel says he’d never seen a weight room before. That’s not because they don’t have them in Russia that’s because he chose not to work on his body which is a huge part of being a pro.

Kid needs to grow up because like I said he’s a 40 pt player that could be a 60 or 70 point player if he actually cares.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Literally has zero to do with being Russian and everything to do with attitude. If you want to bring up being Russian as an excuse that’s on you certainly not me.

He mailed it in half the time. He completely no showed after the trade deadline when he had plenty of opportunity.

The director of player personnel says he’d never seen a weight room before. That’s not because they don’t have them in Russia that’s because he chose not to work on his body which is a huge part of being a pro.

Kid needs to grow up because like I said he’s a 40 pt player that could be a 60 or 70 point player if he actually cares.

I remember you had a lot to say about the late season play of Buchnevich and Namestnikov, but not guys like Zuccarello, Skjei, Lundqvist who also struggled the last couple of months. The Russians mailed it in, the others can have that fall under bad form? Coincidence?

Besides, you are well misinterpreting the facts here. We are five years on from when this discussion cropped up. Since then, he's put on weight, and weighs well in line with a normal weight for an NHL forward. Claiming a link between that and attitude problems is ridiculous.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He should've had more than 40, but he also shouldn't have. Considering his ice time, he had a really productive season. If you would've been told the amount of ice time he'd play along with such a up and down role within the lineup, I think 40+ points wouldn't have been considered bad. It's actually really hard to play such a small role, and score more than he did. He clearly exceeded expectations up until the last two or so months. If he could've held that level of play for a full season, it would've definitely been over 40, likely around 60. But who plays 15:00 and leads the team in scoring? Hard to keep up. I think we've seen that he plays well with Kreider and Zibanejad. AV did his usual blame Buchnevich routine late on, and took him off that line. Just like that he started playing bad hockey. And we saw a lot of players whose games "dropped off" once the team went into sell mode.

He looks much stronger now than when he was drafted or even when he first joined the team. I think a lot of the strength comments are mostly exaggerated at this point. He's up into the mid 190's or maybe even 200. He's naturally a lanky kid, not every 6'2+ forward will play at 210+. Some guys just have a lanky build, and don't put on weight that easily.

After Jake Gardiner concussed him his goal scoring dropped drastically--he became more of a perimeter player and that was an issue for him the rest of the season. Zibanejad did the same for about a month after coming back from his concussion---then got over it but Mika's much bigger and stronger than Pavel is. That helps a lot. To reach his potential Pavel needs to fill out and become more physically engaged. To score goals you have to go to the net and if he's going to become a legit 1st line player he's going to have to be a goal scoring threat.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I remember you had a lot to say about the late season play of Buchnevich and Namestnikov, but not guys like Zuccarello, Skjei, Lundqvist who also struggled the last couple of months. The Russians mailed it in, the others can have that fall under bad form? Coincidence?

Besides, you are well misinterpreting the facts here. We are five years on from when this discussion cropped up. Since then, he's put on weight, and weighs well in line with a normal weight for an NHL forward. Claiming a link between that and attitude problems is ridiculous.
He's bashed all rangers players before FWIW.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

The idea that Kovalev hasn’t had anything to say about Lundqvist is at least amusing.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

You can’t be serious. Just can’t be. You see my handle right? Like you realize my favorite player of all time is a Russian? Or how about how much I praise Georgiev?

The euro posters think I hate Swedes too lol. Even though my favorite current Ranger is Zibanejad.

Do the American posters think I hate Americans because of my religious criticism of Brendan Smith for showing up badly out of shape? Many may remember I was one of the first people that brought attn to it prior to the season even starting.

Namestnikov and Buchnevich were the worst players on this team by a mile. They were lazy and buchnevich has a history of coming to work unprepared because he doesn’t want to work out. The fact that they are Russian just happens to be a coincidence. Both have a lot to prove this year but buchnevich has to prove even more. Quinn isn’t going to play him mark my words if he shows up out of shape or mopes around the ice half the season.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I also criticize zuccarello a ton. I wanted him dealt before last season. He’s not a good playoff performer and he was putrid last year FWIW

And Lundqvist? You could probably fill a novel with my posts bashing him for soft goals and I actually love the guy!

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I actually don’t see the Buch is lazy at all. He’s been training the past three summers in CT and yes he still has to learn to be a pro but he’s trying. When he was struggling I just saw a guy fighting it, he seems to be easily thrown off and has a hard time getting his confidence back. He needs to work on the mental part as much a the physical. I saw a guy really frustrated but not disinterested. Quinn will hopefully help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad