GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
My opinion is I just don't really see him as a first line 60-70 point forward like some do. It's nothing to do with effort, he just isn't that good.

He skates like Brandon Pirri but it’s not because of technique kid just looks like he has no core to him. No base. You lean on him and forget it he’s out.

If he worked on his strength I’m sure he can be a 60 pt player. He is that good.

But he always looks gassed and he ALWAYS looks upset

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The lazy argument is the dumbest one in hockey. If a player truly is lazy, he'd never make it to the NHL.

You’d be surprised how far raw talent can take you. See Kessel, Phil.

But I do agree it is ridiculous for us to throw potshots on here. Even watching every game and following every tweet we have visibility to basically nothing that would allow us to pass judgements on a player’s character.

Reactions: jacko23

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Buchnevich is kinda upsetting player. He can look like a freaking superstar for a few games and then totally disappear for even longer. You send him to the AHL for a couple games, he tears the league up, gets back and looks like a freaking superstar again... for a few games. And then he disappears. I hope, it's a maturing process, and he will break through this season. Or in a season. But if he doesn't before the age 25, then it'll be a bad news for Rangers fans... or not, because for a 3rd rounder he's doing pretty good. It's just he can be so much better.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Buch is really good at what he is good at, and that is processing the game and distributing the puck. It looks simple but it definitely isn’t at the level he can do it. He thinks the offensive game at a world class level. I recon that the shooting game is OK

But we have reached a point where it’s time for Buch to take 2-3 more steps. Become stronger and better at protecting the puck. Take his shot to another level. At least marginally improve his forecheck and backchecking game. His defensive smarts can improve.

I don’t really agree that he is lazy in any way, but the kid is quite big and not a super speedster.

It should be exciting to follow his development, but I did think the end to our last season left a sour taste. It’s time for him to get going again in terms of developing. If he doesn’t, his current platform just isn’t quite there yet...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Typically lots of bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defenseman that hang on and on for long NHL careers have unreal work ethics. It's often a way for them to make up for skills that they don't have. Typically as well many very talented players take their skill levels for granted and don't work quite as hard as those bottom 6 or bottom pairing guys. In actuality you can see that pretty much at every hockey level from small kids to big kids to recreational leagues to college and junior leagues to European pro leagues to North American professional leagues all the way up to the NHL.

Buchnevich has a skill level that's at least comparable to say guys like Pastrnak, Kucherov, Panarin etc. The question is how determined is he to pay the same price as those guys. so far i don't see it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Buch has a year and a half of NHL experience. He's 23 years old. He's still developing. Jesus Christ are some of you guys critical. If he was "more consistent" he would be pretty close to a superstar. Kid was a third round pick. I think expectations need to be tamed here a bit. And let's be a little more patient. The entire team was a ****ing mess last season. Now that AV is gone I think you'll see more out of him.

Also don't forget, now that Miller is gone and isn't force-feeding pickles down Buch's throat, he'll be happier.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Pavel Brendl played games in the NHL, just sayin'.
So was the great Ryan Hollweg!

5ab0b9e476ee43328f7b0100-253226.jpg

He's gone full caveman! Holy shitake mushrooms!:laugh:

Reactions: Rangers_23

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Buch has a year and a half of NHL experience. He's 23 years old. He's still developing. Jesus Christ are some of you guys critical. If he was "more consistent" he would be pretty close to a superstar. Kid was a third round pick. I think expectations need to be tamed here a bit. And let's be a little more patient. The entire team was a ****ing mess last season. Now that AV is gone I think you'll see more out of him.

Also don't forget, now that Miller is gone and isn't force-feeding pickles down Buch's throat, he'll be happier.

OTOH other posters overstate his case---calling Pavel a 1st line player when in reality he is not--at least not yet--what he is is a player with 1st line talent. I think what will be frustrating--if it happens--is if he shows up to camp as scrawny as ever. He needs to fill out. I know that for some players that is harder than for others but still IMO it's holding him back. I watch his fellow Russians like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kucherov--they play hard and they are strong and they go hard to the net all the time. They wouldn't be as successful without the physical strength and determination that they have. They know what it takes. It's why they've become standout--elite players.

FWIW we've overstated the case a bit for Kreider as well IMO and FWIW he's probably my favorite player on the team but he's always been a bit of tease and he's never been able to take the step to where he is a legit 1st line player. Always been on the verge. Kreider's game is different than Buchnevich's--having size and strength has never been an issue but he's always been a frustratingly inconsistent player who doesn't always play to his size or his talent. And here I might say that I think Zuccarello is being maligned unfairly by some. He's kind of the opposite. For his size and his abilities his career has been one of over achievement at least in my eyes.

Anyway take Buchnevich, Kreider and Zuccarello and if a good deal came along for any one of them I would move them. Kreider might be my favorite Rangers player at the moment but I ain't married to him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Thats nonsense. Is he lazy in comparison to say me? Of course not. Is he lazy compared to other young nhl players? Sure does sound like it.
I think it’s even more complicated. Players all give great effort, I’d say. But it’s focus that gets lost easier for some. And Buchnevich seems to “lose the plot” sometimes. I think he’s a player that needs a particular type of coaching. Someone to occasionally give him some items to focus on. And I’d bet he listens and is “coachable”. But AV and staff were pretty hands-off in-game. Which suits certain player very well. But not Buch.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He skates like Brandon Pirri but it’s not because of technique kid just looks like he has no core to him. No base. You lean on him and forget it he’s out.

If he worked on his strength I’m sure he can be a 60 pt player. He is that good.

But he always looks gassed and he ALWAYS looks upset
He was definitely easy to push around. Particularly later in the season. But at the start of the season he was fairly robust. So I have some hope.

Reactions: Kovalev27

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Buchnevich was a lazy dog last year. He should have been sent to the minors. I don't see him developing a strong work ethic. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Buchnevich was a lazy dog last year. He should have been sent to the minors. I don't see him developing a strong work ethic. [mod]

Yet he finished 4th on our team in Points last year..................

Our leading scorer had 10 more points in 6 more games than Buch, and you think Buch should have been in the AHL..?

Your opinion on Buchnevich is absolutely worthless garbage.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad