NY Islanders Sale Talk Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Proky selling the nets to buy the isles!!!!

Lol

Man, the rich get richer. Some of these returns for these guys are nuts.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Man it's getting' quirky on this thread. :amazed:

None of these things has any effect on the sale of the Islanders. There are and will be no connection. As for Prokhorov, he is fishing but Ballmer is a novice and by all accounts overpaid for the Clippers by 3X just because he has no clue and more money than he can ever use.
I bet every damn team owner in any sport is hoping a Ballmer comes into their lives and drops massive overpayment on them.

KOforprez2016

Jun 14, 2014
new york
Okay so to get back on topic

If we don't hear anything this week, is it safe to say that everyone who said they are waiting until after the playoffs to end a liar?? I mean how much longer!! I want a sale already!!

Personally I think Wang is going to hold out and try and get as much as possible. Maybe even hold out until they get to Brooklyn just so the value increases. But I'm hoping the rumors are true and that the team is already sold and now we are just waiting for an announcement.

BTW first post on this entire site
Go isles go!!

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006

If we don't hear anything this week, is it safe to say that everyone who said they are waiting until after the playoffs to end a liar?? I mean how much longer!! I want a sale already!!

Personally I think Wang is going to hold out and try and get as much as possible. Maybe even hold out until they get to Brooklyn just so the value increases. But I'm hoping the rumors are true and that the team is already sold and now we are just waiting for an announcement.

Go isles go!!

Welcome aboard! :handclap:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Go isles go!!
Liar is strong words. Any outcome is possible including Wang not selling.
I just want to add this bit of a hint to what has transpired. It is circumstantial but interesting.
According to cap geek we have 18 players signed for a cap salary of $43.3MM including Yash's buyout. We have to sign RFAs Lee, CDH,Zeek, Donovan, plus a back up goalie. That will be ballpark spending of and added $7MM. We are trying to sign Boyle which if successful should cost between $5-6MM. The cap floor will be around $50MM so the cap spending for the year will be about $6MM above the floor, which it appears is budgeted for based on trying to sign Boyle. Then there is the replacement of MM26/Vanek on LW. If we could have signed Vanek we would have. What we do now to fill that position I do not know.
But by the actions taken and statements made about filling out these positions, our cap spending for 2014-15 will be in the area of $56-61MM.
Does that sound like a Wang team, or is someone else calling the shots and telling Snow it is ok to spend up to $60MM for this year?
Like I said, circumstantial but so unlike Wang. No matter what we will lose money this year at the floor.

KOforprez2016

Jun 14, 2014
new york
I'm praying and hoping the sale is done so that we don't have to be a cap floor team. I think that Garth can be a good gm if he is allowed to spend. Now I don't think that signing halak and trading for Boyle's rights means that the sale is done. In reality these could easily be the only 2 moves made by Garth this off season knowing Wang. but I've been reading this thread for awhile and many other things. The fact that there is too much talk for this has to mean something. I don't think we'llfind out by the end of the week. I'm hoping by July

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I'm praying and hoping the sale is done so that we don't have to be a cap floor team. I think that Garth can be a good gm if he is allowed to spend. Now I don't think that signing halak and trading for Boyle's rights means that the sale is done. In reality these could easily be the only 2 moves made by Garth this off season knowing Wang. but I've been reading this thread for awhile and many other things. The fact that there is too much talk for this has to mean something. I don't think we'llfind out by the end of the week. I'm hoping by July
I can't wait until July, my head will explode, I will wear out the refresh button on my comp.
It best be done ASAP, after the Kings victory parade and before the draft. Snow might be wheeling/dealing at the draft, it would be good for us to know who is giving him his marching orders on spending.

KOforprez2016

Jun 14, 2014
new york
^^^
I hear you. I'm gonna drive myself crazy with this too. I'm just trying to think like a businessman. after the ridiculous sum the clippers went for I think Wang might try and get more. I think that barroway is the guy, but the details just need more time, and maybe if we want to speculate more, barroway has talked to snow and given him the OK to spend because he is already the owner but just nothing has been signed yet.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I just want to add this bit of a hint to what has transpired. It is circumstantial but interesting.
According to cap geek we have 18 players signed for a cap salary of $43.3MM including Yash's buyout. We have to sign RFAs Lee, CDH,Zeek, Donovan, plus a back up goalie. That will be ballpark spending of and added $7MM. We are trying to sign Boyle which if successful should cost between $5-6MM. The cap floor will be around $50MM so the cap spending for the year will be about $6MM above the floor, which it appears is budgeted for based on trying to sign Boyle. Then there is the replacement of MM26/Vanek on LW. If we could have signed Vanek we would have. What we do now to fill that position I do not know.
But by the actions taken and statements made about filling out these positions, our cap spending for 2014-15 will be in the area of $56-61MM.
Does that sound like a Wang team, or is someone else calling the shots and telling Snow it is ok to spend up to $60MM for this year?
Like I said, circumstantial but so unlike Wang. No matter what we will lose money this year at the floor.

One thing that hasn't come up much either that adds to the circumstantialism (is that a word?) .. Wang backloaded the Bailey, Okposo and Grabner contracts.. among others I'm sure..

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

That does not sound like a "wang team"...It sounds exactly like someone posting on a message board making a prediction which none of us rooted in reality think is going to happen until it actually does.

The Isles under wang are essential the boy who cried wolf, and I for one will not believe that a sale is done until I see a press conference, and certainly won't believe the isles are going to spend 10 million over the cap floor until they actually do.

There's really no difference between anything that comes out of Wang's mouth or any post on these boards...It's all just talk until something actually happens...

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
That does not sound like a "wang team"...It sounds exactly like someone posting on a message board making a prediction which none of us rooted in reality think is going to happen until it actually does.

The Isles under wang are essential the boy who cried wolf, and I for one will not believe that a sale is done until I see a press conference, and certainly won't believe the isles are going to spend 10 million over the cap floor until they actually do.

There's really no difference between anything that comes out of Wang's mouth or any post on these boards...It's all just talk until something actually happens...

You are technically accurate.

But how many times can how many people say: UNTIL IT HAPPENS, IT HASN'T HAPPENED.

We all know that.. thanks though..

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
The Kings Parade is scheduled for Monday (6/16) so If the rumours are true that the sale has been completed I would expect a Press Conference to be called for Wed or Fri. With that said, if the NHL Governors still have to approve the deal then it might not happen till the draft less than two weeks from now.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If there's a sale in place it WILL go through BEFORE the draft, and absolutely before FA. If you were buying a team wouldn't you want to be the owner at the draft? And wouldn't you insist on being the owner during FA so the previous owner doesn't sign onto contracts that YOU will responsible for?

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
If there's a sale in place it WILL go through BEFORE the draft, and absolutely before FA. If you were buying a team wouldn't you want to be the owner at the draft? And wouldn't you insist on being the owner during FA so the previous owner doesn't sign onto contracts that YOU will responsible for?

I went through this nightmare 2 years ago as a Cleveland Browns fan. Haslem completes the purchase during training camp and that season is practically lost because his staff used that season basically as a evaluation. Unfortunately his staff consisted of Banner & Lombardi so it made it that much worse. :laugh:

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
I went through this nightmare 2 years ago as a Cleveland Browns fan. Haslem completes the purchase during training camp and that season is practically lost because his staff used that season basically as a evaluation. Unfortunately his staff consisted of Banner & Lombardi so it made it that much worse. :laugh:

Glutton for punishment. Let me guess, Mets fan too?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You are technically accurate.

But how many times can how many people say: UNTIL IT HAPPENS, IT HASN'T HAPPENED.

We all know that.. thanks though..

Well Jeff...You might be aware of that, but I promise you there's a lot of Isles fans who don't get it. Why don't you take a look throughout these threads and ones of seasons past where too many posters think we're going to trade for, and SIGN, guys like PK Subban. Or how about the millions of posts thinking that we might actually hire, and PAY for, a real head coach with any previous NHL head coaching experience. And oh yeah...We still haven't won a playoff series in 21 years (That was year one of the Clinton administration).

When I see change, ill believe in change and not a moment before. So I won't apologize for a second for making posts that want Isles fans focused on results as opposed to claims, rumors, and simply hope alone.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
One thing that hasn't come up much either that adds to the circumstantialism (is that a word?) .. Wang backloaded the Bailey, Okposo and Grabner contracts.. among others I'm sure..

Wang did that because come 2015 he was out of NVMC and technically the financial picture would be better with a new arena or the alternative new home. Could Wang have done that in anticipation of a sale? Maybe, if he wanted to keep his options open (new arena or sell).

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

I think the theory is a little more circumstantial just because of the embarrassment of this past season and they HAVE to have some momentum going into Brooklyn. A lottery team is gonna be dead in the water with ambivalence.

Two things: If Snow trades the #5, then He's taking back salary in some form. However, this doesn't mean he's not moving out salary at that time, earlier, or later. Separately, if Isles signed Vanek I don't think they make the Boyle deal.

If Wang sells the team, does the deal include more? Ie, does he still hang onto the NVMC revenue rights he got from Suozzi? We don't know whether this deal, if true, includes only NYI 'property' and nothing else.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Wang did that because come 2015 he was out of NVMC and technically the financial picture would be better with a new arena or the alternative new home. Could Wang have done that in anticipation of a sale? Maybe, if he wanted to keep his options open (new arena or sell).

Nevermind Barroway greenlighting more spending...how about considering that Snow has been telling the truth all along that there are no cap restrictions, that the money has always been there to spend, but there were no takers (Ehroff? Kovie? Hamhuis? Martin? Vanek?) because of the crappy rebuilding team and crappy old arena?

Now we have a team that is better and a year away from modern facilities, Vanek is offered a 50 million dollar deal, Halak signs a 20 million dollar deal, an Boyle is offered a ten million dollar deal...all this on top of re-upping Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Grabner...how do the money deniers square that circle?

The answer is they cannot. Oh Capuano is the coach because he doesn't require as much money? Oh, okay, explain Boudreau, Bylsma, and every other rookie coach that broke into the league...everyone starts somewhere...

In the arena of speculation, the plausibility of the Islanders doing things on the cheap and being the cheapest in the league cannot be proven. There are elite franchises that have unwavering fan support in better buildings, from stronger hockey markets, that haven't gone through a tenth of the crap the Islanders have had to endure from crooked owners and a culpably incorrect GM in Mike Milbury...in short no other team that has been down so low has also been kept there in the hearts of a contingent of "fans" that equate every move with derision and suspicion as though they are insiders and know what really is going on behind the scenes.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Nevermind Barroway greenlighting more spending...how about considering that Snow has been telling the truth all along that there are no cap restrictions, that the money has always been there to spend, but there were no takers (Ehroff? Kovie? Hamhuis? Martin? Vanek?) because of the crappy rebuilding team and crappy old arena?

Now we have a team that is better and a year away from modern facilities, Vanek is offered a 50 million dollar deal, Halak signs a 20 million dollar deal, an Boyle is offered a ten million dollar deal...all this on top of re-upping Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Grabner...how do the money deniers square that circle?

The answer is they cannot. Oh Capuano is the coach because he doesn't require as much money? Oh, okay, explain Boudreau, Bylsma, and every other rookie coach that broke into the league...everyone starts somewhere...

In the arena of speculation, the plausibility of the Islanders doing things on the cheap and being the cheapest in the league cannot be proven. There are elite franchises that have unwavering fan support in better buildings, from stronger hockey markets, that haven't gone through a tenth of the crap the Islanders have had to endure from crooked owners and a culpably incorrect GM in Mike Milbury...in short no other team that has been down so low has also been kept there in the hearts of a contingent of "fans" that equate every move with derision and suspicion as though they are insiders and know what really is going on behind the scenes.

Way to rewrite history Bonzo. While you have the fact that good UFAs don't want to sign with rebuilding clubs, you also have Florida on the other hand who is just as bad, if not worse in some regards, who has managed to add at least average players to the roster. When you couple that with our magically holding just at the bare minimum in spending, and last year we went a few million above but just so happened to get that same amount from revenue sharing that the league forced us to spend "or else" well... Do the math. The money wasn't there. Amazing considering Wang's statements about wishing he never bought the club in the first place, and rushing select kids up before they had a chance to develop so he could benefit from their cap hit.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

The Isles throwing money around has more to do with improving the team but also meeting the require cap floor. Halak? He had little options and signed for a ave where he is the bona fide starter. Works for both sides. Isles had a need. So did he.

One offseason, again, trying to reach the floor requires spending, does not wash Wangs cheapskate operation. Sorry.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Way to rewrite history Bonzo. While you have the fact that good UFAs don't want to sign with rebuilding clubs, you also have Florida on the other hand who is just as bad, if not worse in some regards, who has managed to add at least average players to the roster. When you couple that with our magically holding just at the bare minimum in spending, and last year we went a few million above but just so happened to get that same amount from revenue sharing that the league forced us to spend "or else" well... Do the math. The money wasn't there. Amazing considering Wang's statements about wishing he never bought the club in the first place, and rushing select kids up before they had a chance to develop so he could benefit from their cap hit.

Florida has sunshine and a modern facility...and we've added average players- Guerin, Comrie, PAP, Moulson...by the time bums like Regin and PMB were added, you would have liked to think that the kids were ready to take the reins...and our model was forced on us with the free agent black hole- I like tha garf avoided over paying vets who would have taken playing spots, and while maybe pushing the team up the standings some, we'd simply be "not bad enough" to enjoy the draft positions the so-called elite franchises like Pitt and Wash and Chicago enjoyed to get their studs and get them to where they are now.

I see a GM that realized the free agents weren't signing for anything less than an overpayment, and wanting to keep a reasonable salary structure in place (hello Chicago, you shoulda won another cup) was a bonus while the kids developed.

Bailey had the maturity and did quite well his first two seasons. He was never suppose to be a first liner...and not all draft picks turn out as planned. As for Nino, he had the size, and did squat with it. He was concussed and played scared after that. Then he pulled the trade demand stunt. I applaud Snow for not giving in and building a culture of accountability where the team comes first. How many other players benefitted from Nino being put in his place?

And f we are so cheap, why didn't we just rush all our prospects? Didn't we need their cap hits? Explain.

Why did we re-up Tavares? Okposo? Grabner? Bailey? Hamonic? The line of thinking needs to be consistent here...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad