NY Islanders Sale Talk Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, from Gallof in his "Game of Owners" post, trying to do a lame takeoff on Game of Thrones.

I would love the Vitamin Water guy also, but from what I was told, it is.....well the guy we have been talking about from Philly whose last name starts with a B.

So, based on what you said in your earlier post, having reached out to someone else

1. Why would Andrew Barroway want to buy the Islanders with all the downsides you mentioned?

2. Wouldn't the Bruce Ratner or someone else in the Barclay's group still be the best suitor for the Islanders?

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I've always felt uneasy about the way Greg Logan publicly stated that the JT pick was going to be Matt Duchesne... I know he said the pick was his own, but I was taken so far aback by the prediction that I figured someone from the Islanders fed him bad info, purposely using him as misdirection..

I can't help but feel the same hand may be at work here..

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've always felt uneasy about the way Greg Logan publicly stated that the JT pick was going to be Matt Duchesne... I know he said the pick was his own, but I was taken so far aback by the prediction that I figured someone from the Islanders fed him bad info, purposely using him as misdirection..

I can't help but feel the same hand may be at work here..

That would be one final zinger to Botta from the current adminstration. If they want to misdirect and need a stooge to help, why not use one they don't like?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Protocol

I guess the Oilers didn't the get memo not to make any front office announcements until the Stanley Cup is over...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454701

It really is so nice of the Islanders, all aspiring reporters desperate to break a story, and every media outlet who seems to know that a sale is "done" to respect the NHL's wishes to keep the spotlight solely on the Cup.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I guess the Oilers didn't the get memo not to make any front office announcements until the Stanley Cup is over...

It really is so nice of the Islanders, all aspiring reporters desperate to break a story, and every media outlet who seems to know that a sale is "done" to respect the NHL's wishes to keep the spotlight solely on the Cup.

No respectable newspaper is going to publish a story this big without at least one reputable person (Bettman/Wang/Barroway) confirming it. If at least one of those 3 wont confirm it to the paper, they wont print it.
Also, any paper that prints it "ahead of time" will get scraps for details about the deal. I am sure if Barroway was apporoached he could say, "no comment, wait till after the finals are over and I will tell you everything."

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
OkpoTavanek was the one who brought up that "his source" works for Newsday and already has the back page ready to print when it's announced that Barroway is buying the team and Potvin will be named President of the team.

This makes too much sense. For those that listen to the nhl in xm about a month ago potvin was doing his segment talking about team presidents and whatnot and it almost seemed like he wanted to talk about being the isles president but he couldn't. I don't remember the exact details but it definitely came off like he was asked but couldn't say anything.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

Agreed. The NY Knicks, who are much bigger than the Islanders announce a coaching change during the NBA finals yet the Islanders hold off to help keep attention on the cup finals?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Agreed. The NY Knicks, who are much bigger than the Islanders announce a coaching change during the NBA finals yet the Islanders hold off to help keep attention on the cup finals?

Or maybe Barroway and Yormark want the stage all to themselves? Relevant or not, if they think it is a major newsworthy NHL story, they could just want the hoopla of the SCF over with first.
Just a possibility among a few others.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really think thier gonna announce it at the draft party.

Burraway is gonna repel from the rafters to the center of the coli and deliver a chilling speech.

Seriously I think the draft will be very telling. Wang is at every draft and if he is not there this year something is up.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Where we are

Could it be....I mean could it be that this whole thing is just as obvious as it looks?

March 28, 2014: Bob McKenzie blasts some sunlight into our dark world with this Tweet... "NYI owner Charles Wang in talks to sell majority stake in NHL franchise. Nothing done yet, no telling if it gets done, but talks underway."

April 24, 2014: NHL commissioner Gary Bettman re-iterated that owner Charles Wang has received "lots of interest" for his Brooklyn-bound club, "but he hasn't made a firm decision to sell."

June 6, 2014: Andrew Barroway, asked to comment on report saying he has bought Isles: "Sorry, I cannot talk yet.''

Almost anyone else's theories don't hold water to me, but you cannot ignore the smoke surrounding a sale of the Islanders. That said, could it be that while there is interest from Barroway (and maybe someone else) that a deal IS NOT done yet and that wang may in fact decide not to sell?

I do agree that it's possible that a new owner would hold off to hold a press conference after the Stanley Cup to have all the attention to themselves, but I don't believe for a second that if a deal is done that the reason they're not announcing it yet is to protect the NHL/Stanley Cup.

My theory is that a deal is not done yet and it might get done soon, in a while, or might not get done at all. I'd say the three quotes above are from the top 3 sources you'd believe if news came from: McKenzie, Bettman/NHL, or Barroway. Since I don't trust wang anymore I won't trust much that comes from wang's mouth. I won't believe he actually sold until I physically see him riding off into the sunset on horse, wearing a cowboy hat, and gnawing on some hey. It would be just like him to screw us another time and not sell. :rant:

Unfortunately I'm pretty confident that nothing is officially done yet and as someone who works in real estate, I need to see pen on paper and deposit presented before I believe anything is DONE. Therefore I think we're going to have to ride this rumor/speculation train out for a while longer...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Front office changes vs. sale of the team 1yr before it relocates to NYC with people that have a vested interest in its relocation success. Big difference.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

If there's any owner dumber than Wang with Milbury, it's Katz's loyalty to Kevin Lowe.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Bettman has been big a supporter of Wang's over the years. His efforts to get a new arena.
I could see him telling the isles to hold off on releasing info about a sale, until the SC finals end.

12-18 months ago, the press bought up a possible NYI sale and the Post reported Wang would demand $300m. Many fans and some in the media scoffed or outright laughed, saying Forbes valued the team at $154m.

Kind of amusing to read Wang is looking at a $400m sale now.

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander
Clock starts now.

I have withheld judgement until now.

Respect will be given if the rumors told are true.

If not, these certain names will be ignored. I suggest everyone does the same.

I give until September for the claimer's.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
On the week-end or Monday? When is the best news day after the SC celebrating and hoopla is cooled down?

LedHammer

Nov 24, 2009
Patchogue, NY

There were other factors involving the Knicks timing of their announcement. Phil Jackson will be leaving the country for family reasons shortly and they felt they needed to have a coach in place so that they could have a united front when they sat down with Melo. They're trying to convince Melo to opt in to the final year of his deal and apparently had a second such meeting about it with him last night. He has to opt out by the 23rd(A SA-MIA gm7 would be on the 20th) and the Knicks wanted to have the coach in place to at least talk with Melo prior to his decision. And just telling Melo Fisher was a done deal probably wouldn't work great in their sales pitch when they already told him once this off season that Kerr was a done deal. This really doesn't mean that much as far as an Isles announcement or sale though and I have no source or no clue what's actually going on with it, just putting some perspective as it related to the Knicks and NBA Finals.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I wouldn't read into Barroway saying he couldn't discuss it. Think about it if he was in talks (or wanted to be in future talks for either the Isles or a different NHL franchise) there's no way he opens his mouth. The NHL hates that kind of stuff...look at what happened to the Blackberry guy and the Predators/Hamilton (sorry i forgot his name off the top of my head). Then he went after Phoenix. Still a no go. Because the NHL is VERY strict on owners (after the whole Spano fiasco).

Barroway doesn't want to do anything to spoil any opportunities he may or may not have. For all we know he could be in talks in buying a different franchise, or just testing out the waters before committing.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I wouldn't read into Barroway saying he couldn't discuss it. Think about it if he was in talks (or wanted to be in future talks for either the Isles or a different NHL franchise) there's no way he opens his mouth. The NHL hates that kind of stuff...look at what happened to the Blackberry guy and the Predators/Hamilton (sorry i forgot his name off the top of my head). Then he went after Phoenix. Still a no go. Because the NHL is VERY strict on owners (after the whole Spano fiasco).

Barroway doesn't want to do anything to spoil any opportunities he may or may not have. For all we know he could be in talks in buying a different franchise, or just testing out the waters before committing.
His remark was quoted as "can't talk about it yet".

That last word carries a lot of meaning. Could have said "there is nothing to talk about", or "can't talk about it", or won't talk about it". There are not many ways that his quote could be construed. The most obvious one is " I have something to talk about buying the Islanders, just can't talk about it right now".
How else could that be interpreted?

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Prokhorov now looking to sell. I would think Wang would DEFINETLY wait to see what kind of offers he gets.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/06/14/mikhail-prokhorov-sell-brooklyn-nets/

I would think smart move by Prokhorov to sell high and get the most bang for his buck. His investment was $223M so after what the clippers went for and the nets will likely never be worth more.. an aging team with a huge payroll and luxury tax with no #1 picks in 2014, 2016 or 2018…

Just my opinion, but once the honeymoon is done with this team and they become mediocre or worse, I think their value could take a hit relative to what it is now, given their cost structure.

question is what does this mean for us if anything, it may have zero impact..

mygameworn

Dec 24, 2007
Connecticut
mygameworn.net
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad