NY Islanders Sale Talk Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
They are saying the rumor comes from Carton, not Boomer (who's a HUGE Ranger's fan). Carton couldn't distinguish the difference between a ring ding and a hockey puck.

This has nothing to do with the *game* of hockey. Craig Carton is a hell of a lot better source than anyone around here. Whether you like him or not, he's actually a trained journalist.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They are saying the rumor comes from Carton, not Boomer (who's a HUGE Ranger's fan). Carton couldn't distinguish the difference between a ring ding and a hockey puck.

These kinds of posts are more nonsense than the nonsense scott. Who cares what he knows about hockey or if he likes it. He's a part of the biggest sports talk show in New York, I'd say if he's mentioning hockey at all, that'd be a good sign. He must know some people involved or something of that nature, and I couldn't see him spewing out anything about hockey if he weren't pretty confident with it (simply because he doesn't care about the sport and wouldn't care enough about untrue things).

Now, he could be getting information from someone that works for him and who doesn't know squat and is just a member of the boards, but you can't dismiss it because he can't tell the difference between a ring ding or a puck. :D

scott99

May 13, 2005
These kinds of posts are more nonsense than the nonsense scott. Who cares what he knows about hockey or if he likes it. He's a part of the biggest sports talk show in New York, I'd say if he's mentioning hockey at all, that'd be a good sign. He must know some people involved or something of that nature, and I couldn't see him spewing out anything about hockey if he weren't pretty confident with it (simply because he doesn't care about the sport and wouldn't care enough about untrue things).

Now, he could be getting information from someone that works for him and who doesn't know squat and is just a member of the boards, but you can't dismiss it because he can't tell the difference between a ring ding or a puck. :D

Now I want a ring ding. I can not stand Carton, he ruins that show, I like Boomer a lot, he knows a lot about most sports. Carton is just a lound mouthed ESPN wanna be. But you're right, he might have some very good sources.

And I guess I have to take what he is saying very seriously, because he literally is the FIRST big name to announce what we've been hearing for weeks.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Now I want a ring ding. I can not stand Carton, he ruins that show, I like Boomer a lot, he knows a lot about most sports. Carton is just a lound mouthed ESPN wanna be. But you're right, he might have some very good sources.

And I guess I have to take what he is saying very seriously, because he literally is the FIRST big name to announce what we've been hearing for weeks.

I don't see him or that show having anything to gain by having Carton say something like that if he really wasn't told by someone since Carton poops on hockey every chance he gets. I'm still not 100% sure it's happening, but when the local stations start addressing it, especially guys who don't care about hockey at all...that's certainly interesting.

Carton is okay sometimes, Boomer is definitely better though. I'm bigger fans of Joe and Evan actually.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The problem with the smoke theory is that there may just be one little smoke signal and everybody around has seen the same one and are scrambling around reporting it as if there were many.
No, it is really only one, and if that one was a little accidental brush fire.....well guess what?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
And don't forget that Barroway himself tweeted (paraphrased): "I can't say anything yet".

Yep. IMO, Barroway's "yet" is the most solid tidbit of info that we have. Based on the totality of circumstances, my gut tells me I shouldn't have had that 3rd burrito last night. Er, no, I mean my gut tells me that this is real and we'll get an announcement the day after LA's parade. So if they win the Cup tonight, and the parade is, say, Monday, then Tuesday (maybe Wed) is the day. But what do I know?

scott99

May 13, 2005
Too many people "with sources", have said the same exact thing, "It will be announced after the Stanley Cup Finals". People who have sources in the Barroway camp (allegedly), people with sources in the Wang (or Islander's employee) camp (allegedly), people who allegedly know people who work at Newsday. They say the exact same thing. Now technically, if it's announced on July 10th, they and Botta will ALL technically be correct. I'm just saying Botta may be right, it may not be done by July 4th, but soon after. That would make the AFTER the Stanley Cup Finals people correct as well. Though I have seen some emphasize that it will be after the Cup Finals and before the draft. Either way, as long as it get's done before next season, I'll be happy.

Hipietro

Sep 3, 2006
Long Island
This thread is hysterical.

The only person with any credibility at this point should be Staple. Everyone else is making **** up, including Botta.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Mmmmmm. Is anyone saying there is NO deal to announce like Gallof?
Is anyone talking about any other buyer except Barroway like Gallof?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Mmmmmm. Is anyone saying there is NO deal to announce like Gallof?
Is anyone talking about any other buyer except Barroway like Gallof?

The closest to that line of thought I've read is that there isn't a deal close. Haven't heard about it being a different buyer at all.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The closest to that line of thought I've read is that there isn't a deal close. Haven't heard about it being a different buyer at all.

I think Botta said other buyers still have a chance to jump into the fray.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
So much for my gut....

Not that Chris "Mr. Contradictory Tweets" Botta has been the most reliable source on this.

On THIS? What has botta been a good source on? The guy hasn't broken one reliable story on the Isles and his predictions are literally as bad as they come...

The Lighthouse...DEFINITELY Happening
The 8/1 referendum...DEFINITELY passing

Botta was once part of the Islanders, but that time has past. I'm sure there are some lingering relationships he has that make him more connected than any of us, but I feel like real newsmakers treat him like Fredo from The Godfather. Sure...He's in the family and working on stuff, but nothing particularly relevant.

I honestly believe a poster or two here in terms of rumors/news more than I do Botta.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
On THIS? What has botta been a good source on? The guy hasn't broken one reliable story on the Isles and his predictions are literally as bad as they come...

The Lighthouse...DEFINITELY Happening
The 8/1 referendum...DEFINITELY passing

Botta was once part of the Islanders, but that time has past. I'm sure there are some lingering relationships he has that make him more connected than any of us, but I feel like real newsmakers treat him like Fredo from The Godfather. Sure...He's in the family and working on stuff, but nothing particularly relevant.

I honestly believe a poster or two here in terms of rumors/news more than I do Botta.

:laugh: Fredo - that's awesome.

Point taken.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The Red Herring VS The Mountain?

Right now it is a perfect storm after a NY Islanders dismal season for fans to hear what they want to hear. The fan frustration and negativity is at an all-time high, along with a hated rival in the Stanley Finals.

Most fans will point to Garth Snow’s mistakes this season and last summer for the current issues. They’d all be right. However, almost all of them point to owner Charles Wang as the overall culprit of a great many gaffes over the years from Milbury’s elongated path of destruction, Rick DiPietro’s mind-numbingly long contract, and currently leaving Garth and the status quo in power despite this seasons step back.

There is an overall sense of a grass is greener, mentality. This, with the advent of Brooklyn after next season, many Islanders fans seem to want a clean slate. They wish to hold a massive hose to wash off the dirt, grime and drama over the last 20 years.

In the middle of all this dissatisfaction is a leaky faucet of information that is getting amplified thanks to this atmosphere. Philadelphia lawyer Andrew Barroway represents a group that is seeking at least a stake in the NY Islanders. It is believed that most of the cacophony of rumors is coming out of his group.

Beyond this fact, everything gets murky. This is where reality warps and either becomes a WWE promo about how Garth Snow will be fired, how all the things will suddenly change for the better, and all is solved.

Some message boards and social media outlets, usually a necessary bastion for coping fans over the trials and travails of the Isles hockey seasons, have become shining examples of vocal minorities using it for self-affirmation and biased processing of any and all information to fit personal narratives.

Besides these emotional runaway trains… Someone has been pumping Barroway rhetoric onto the boards for weeks now. As a by-product, any shred of information is leapt on, expanded on, and used to push the sentiment/desires … And thanks to the volatile atmosphere… Have become narratives themselves, with or without reality following it.

Thanks to this public relations coup to core fans: a large contingent believes a deal is done with Barroway, and is only waiting to be announced after the Cup Finals.

It would surprise me greatly. As I have said before and now again, if there is any deal with Barroway, it is for a minority stake that will create no change for Garth Snow and Charles plans. In talking to those in NHL, Isles and independent of both, the belief is NO deal is in place at all. That whatever Barroway’s offer is stuck in limbo waiting for Charles to act upon. If he acts at all.
Still
fascinating is another mystery person who is also in the mix who has more fiscal recourse than Barroway. Despite all the Barroway cheerleading, not one peep has come from this other potential owner despite that it seems they have met with all necessary principals.

Then there is the contradictory elements to the Barroway narrative coming out which I shared on twitter:

One came from someone approached by Barroway’s group in the scramble to accrue funds that cited the business plan ALSO called for a cap floor budget at least for the near future. This goes against the green grass/all-is-solved narrative. So this tidbit seems to have caused a bit of an apoplexy or at least confusion because so many think change equals improvement automatically.
The other is that Barroway wasn’t at the full amount, and needed to add more to reach the amount that Charles was looking for, or to have as many climb aboard to create more stake.
Meanwhile, other writers who once said Charles Wang is trying to unload the team quickly have back pedaled and dialed down grandiose statements very quickly. This is helped by statements by the NHL who say Charles is considering, unsure if he is selling, and other statements that really hiccup this runaway train narrative.

So Instead of speaking with Isles and the NHL, who are both clamped down on any items right now in any official capacity… I reached out to speak to an NHL prospective stakeholder for their independent take on the NY Islanders situation, possible sale, atmosphere, and current Barroway narrative.

The following is their objective view of the Islanders situation:

In their opinion: The NY Islanders is NOT considered a successful franchise. Furthermore, they are not an “attractive†buy. This is despite the fact Brooklyn is around the corner. So those who are so convinced the Isles are selling like hot cakes, well, there is some cold water on that.
Furthermore: There are economic realities and lack of upside to owning the team. For example, Brooklyn’s deal, despite the influx of guaranteed cash to can help break even, also has limited revenue streams due to the Barclays deal and group setup. No owner will be able to share in those revenues. Those are severe limitations that affect any potential buyer coming in to put up a sum.
The NY Islanders crazy TV deal will end. What happens then? This is a BIG question m

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Too many people "with sources", have said the same exact thing, "It will be announced after the Stanley Cup Finals". People who have sources in the Barroway camp (allegedly), people with sources in the Wang (or Islander's employee) camp (allegedly), people who allegedly know people who work at Newsday. They say the exact same thing. Now technically, if it's announced on July 10th, they and Botta will ALL technically be correct. I'm just saying Botta may be right, it may not be done by July 4th, but soon after. That would make the AFTER the Stanley Cup Finals people correct as well. Though I have seen some emphasize that it will be after the Cup Finals and before the draft. Either way, as long as it get's done before next season, I'll be happy.

Are you saying that their is speculation that Newsday has confirmation that a deal is done and is sitting on the story at the behest of the NHL?

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

Still
fascinating is another mystery person who is also in the mix who has more fiscal recourse than Barroway. Despite all the Barroway cheerleading, not one peep has come from this other potential owner despite that it seems they have met with all necessary principals.

Gallof quote?

I wouldn't mind if a mystery person came out as the buyer. Preferably someone with a few billion of net worth. There's the water guy, right? Who else? Bloomberg could buy the Isles with loose change stuck between his sofa cushions.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Are you saying that their is speculation that Newsday has confirmation that a deal is done and is sitting on the story at the behest of the NHL?

OkpoTavanek was the one who brought up that "his source" works for Newsday and already has the back page ready to print when it's announced that Barroway is buying the team and Potvin will be named President of the team.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Gallof quote?

I wouldn't mind if a mystery person came out as the buyer. Preferably someone with a few billion of net worth. There's the water guy, right? Who else? Bloomberg could buy the Isles with loose change stuck between his sofa cushions.

Yeah, from Gallof in his "Game of Owners" post, trying to do a lame takeoff on Game of Thrones.

I would love the Vitamin Water guy also, but from what I was told, it is.....well the guy we have been talking about from Philly whose last name starts with a B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad