Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] RW Viktor Arvidsson (7 years, $4.25M AAV)

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Meh a lot of guys had career years that they won't repeat.

I don't see them getting back to the cup anytime soon, they're not even the best team in their division.

Name these lots of players that had career years. I see 2 you could argue, and no one else.

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
unreal deal for the team, have no idea why Arvidsson or his agent would sign it. It's at least 1.5 to 2 million per year under market value. Preds have some great contracts.

Eh, despite his production there would always be worry that he would regress, and if he does, he falls back into the same reasoning as why he wasn't drafted despite every scout in Sweden saying he should be for two straight years. He is quality but GMs won't trust someone of his size, so his trade market will always be limited by outdated opinions. If he is unlucky, he would end up getting 1 year contracts and not enough ice-time.

So, now that he got the trust, he would rather take long-term than not. And on top of a bunch of fellow Swedes in Nashville, a Stanley Cup run this year, low tax making the money closer to those missing 1-2m anyway. He was also a one club man back in Sweden and is by all accounts someone who just doesn't care about much outside hockey - getting this out of the way just means he can go back to doing what he likes doing.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm personally not a big fan of giving big contracts after just a year of success but if Arvidsson can keep up his play from last season this is a pretty damn good contract.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Such a deal for a guy with a lot of heart and skill!

Still remember seeing him on the 4th line and thinking man if this guy gets a chance on the top line he is gonna stick.

Should be a consistent 30-30 guy barring injuries.

Predicting Athansiou to be the next Arvy for Detroit if they give him the icetime.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
7 years is a long time for a small winger with 1 good season. Nice cap hit though, won't look too bad even if he settles into more of a 20-20 groove rather than repeating this kind of season (which I have my doubts about).

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He gets like 30 000 000 and financial security for the rest of his life.

+ he doesn't handicap the team, giving them the chance to be competitive for several cup runs.

Plus he could have a down year next year, or get injured and play 30 games. Sure, if he put up another strong season he could probably make 5+ for 7 years but is that extra 5 million over the 7 years worth it?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Terrible deal for Arvidsson.

I guess he doesn't think he's a 30 goal scorer.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think some Preds fans are concerned because Craig Smith had a 52 point season and he's steadily declined in terms of point production since that season.

4.25M today doesn't buy you anything good from the market, it's not much in todays NHL.
Chances of this contract hurting Nashville are low.

I like the way he plays.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
salary is laughably low considering how freaking good he was last season but i'm not really buying the term. after all he's only had one great season so far. if he ages badly that contract could become a bit of a pain in the ass. let's hope he keeps delivering though, loved watching him last season.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Great deal!! So happy we got him locked up long term! Now to sign Ryjo to 8x8 and all is well in Nashville!
Can't wait to see Arvy next season!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Great contract. Even if he doesn't repeat his numbers last season, this is still a fair contract for 40-50pts. Anything above is just gravy.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm personally not a big fan of giving big contracts after just a year of success but if Arvidsson can keep up his play from last season this is a pretty damn good contract.

The beauty is that he is being paid second line money to be a top line winger, so if he cannot repeat, or come close to repeating, his production from last year it's still not bad provided he doesn't drop to below 45 points.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Poile works his magic again.

Can't believe there are some posters questioning if he's worth it. The kid plays with a high motor, has a deadly shot, and meshes incredibly well with FF and RyJo. As long as that chemistry continues, I can't ever see his production dipping below 50 points.

Preds are going to be good for a while.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Poile has now signed Arvidsson, Filip Forsberg, Roman Josi, Mattias Ekholm and Ryan Ellis for at least the next 3 years (and all but Ellis for the next 5 years) for a combined $20.5mil cap hit.

Let that sink in a minute.

Magic Man

But wouldn't you rather have Abdelkader, Helm, Ericsson, Nyquist and Tatar instead for almost the same?

Smh Holland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad