Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] RW Viktor Arvidsson (7 years, $4.25M AAV)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Arvy is nearly a PPG player this year.

looking back, this contract blows my mind.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
No question that in both Nashville and TB, the GMs are effectively taking significant advantage of their advantageous tax rates.

Reactions: Morrison

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
No question that in both Nashville and TB, the GMs are effectively taking significant advantage of their advantageous tax rates.

Which they should. Unfortunately it defeats the purpose of the cap era though. Good signing, good cap hit.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Which they should. Unfortunately it defeats the purpose of the cap era though. Good signing, good cap hit.

For sure. If I was a GM in Nashville or TB I would be stupid not to leverage my tax advantage into “team friendly” contracts. Great signings for sure. Will only continue.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
For sure. If I was a GM in Nashville or TB I would be stupid not to leverage my tax advantage into “team friendly” contracts. Great signings for sure. Will only continue.
Yup abuse it if you can. Basically increases your cap and give you a huge advantage. Why wouldn't you.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
We feel soooo bad for the much-maligned traditional hockey markets.
No its great. Now the smaller markets have a significant advantage over the more traditional markets. Toronto got no discounts on Matthews, Nylander and soon to be Marner. Now there's no excuse for smaller markets.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We feel soooo bad for the much-maligned traditional hockey markets.
Especially the one where one franchise defenseman wanted to hook up with his bff and the other one that attempted to bludgeon our tax-advantaged ass with a poison contract.

We have several of these contracts, Forsberg, Arvy, Josi, Ekholm. They are enough below "market value" that it can't be explained away by just taxes. Part of it is luck with timing as well in that Poile's been able to offer them long-term security when they still haven't fully broken out.

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
More whining about taxes. It's the first contract for an overage 4th round pick who had one year as a top 6 forward. Instead of taking a bridge, he took the security of a long term deal. There's nothing preventing other teams from doing that. I guess complaining about taxes is easier though.

Hey man don’t you know that 4.75 in Nashville is like 10 mil in a place with TAXES

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
It's either this deal or mackinnon's as the best in the league

Barkov is up there as well. As far as taxes go, there is no way Kucherov and Hedman sign those deals in a market like LA or New York. It is what it is, an unfair advantage. Hopefully it’s a topic of discussion next CBA negotiation

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Barkov is up there as well. As far as taxes go, there is no way Kucherov and Hedman sign those deals in a market like LA or New York. It is what it is, an unfair advantage. Hopefully it’s a topic of discussion next CBA negotiation

The difference is a lot smaller than you think. Also a lot of the tax implications can be negated by front loading contracts with signing bonuses, something the wealthier teams like New York and LA can do. Not to mention receiving a large chunk of money up front allows you to make a lot more by investing (time value of money)

So hopefully it’s not a topic of discussion. Each market has its advantages. Kucherov and Hedman signed those contracts because they like tampa and they want to win. Maybe the weather and % of landmass dedicated to beaches should also be discussed in the next CBA lol

Reactions: Armourboy

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The difference is a lot smaller than you think. Also a lot of the tax implications can be negated by front loading contracts with signing bonuses, something the wealthier teams like New York and LA can do. Not to mention receiving a large chunk of money up front allows you to make a lot more by investing (time value of money)

So hopefully it’s not a topic of discussion. Each market has its advantages. Kucherov and Hedman signed those contracts because they like tampa and they want to win. Maybe the weather and % of landmass dedicated to beaches should also be discussed in the next CBA lol
Right along with the enormous endorsement potential certain fanbases like to prop up when discussing UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad