Confirmed with Link: [NSH/NJD] - Bryan Boyle for 2019 2nd Round Pick

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I like this deal and I am fine with the price. He is a guy I thought made a lot of sense and that was before the Watson news. He plays PP, PK, and grinder minutes at even strength. The cup run showed us how deep you need to be to compete until the end. Maybe we paid a little extra to get him now, but assuming our 2nd is a late pick then its much preferred over moving one of our few established prospects. We have a lot of junk in our prospect pool right now, so I would argue we don't have a lot to offer. This 2nd rounder was surely near the bottom of the list of our 'enticing trade bait' note pad.

Camille the Eel

Devils fan coming in peace - Boyle has been playing both wing and center, both power play and penalty kill - he's been extremely aggressive and physical and I think maybe the Devils best player all season or right up there. On the power play he's been put in the slot or the high slot. He's got great hands and is surprisingly good at finishing with a wrist shot when, say on a breakaway.

But more, I've watched him over the years and definitely the year that the Rangers went to the finals and L.A. he was their best player in that final series. For a playoff run he's a guy with tremendous battle.

The game tends to slow down in the playoffs the deeper one goes. Teams get worn down, the hitting is cumulative. This is I would think a very nice piece for you. He can play with anyone and certainly was the best character guy in NJ's locker room this year.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The more I think about it, the more I like this move as long as

1. He doesn't play with Grimaldi
2. We still find a way to upgrade our top six

nashpreds

Sep 13, 2008
Toronto
Big upgrade over Gaudreau, a guy with playoff experience and leadership. Wish it were for a 3rd but this is the kind of guy we need.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Good leader, can play in all situations, gives full effort every game which can be infectious. It's a good deal.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I like both our trades today. Seems like Watson and Rinaldo might be out for season, so we just got two replacements. I just hope Poile isn't done. Really need a skilled winger.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
I am happy with the move. I think Boyle brings more than the other bottom six options out there.
Boyle adressess a few issues we have now for a pick that might turn into a usable asset in 5/6 years? I am ok with that

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
If that's all he does then he just wasted a 2nd and a 7th.

At least the guy is going to play hard.
We upgrade on 4th line.
We upgrade on PP net front
We have another PK option to take some load off of top6 forwards

I hope we're not done, but that is definitely not a waste, imo.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
He's great in front of the net on PP; been putting up numbers this year doing just that. Also a tough dude, and a smart player.

You guys were gonna be my team to root for this postseason, but this just cements it. You're going to love him.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Well, not to put too fine a point on the rest of our team but consider this for our new 4th liner:
a. His 13 goals this year put him in the top 5 for the Preds.... ahead of Joey, Jarnkrok, Fiala, Turris, Hartman much less our bottom 3 -5 forwards.
b. He has an assist on a PP this month
c. He has a PP goal in 2019
d. Even though he isn’t Arvy’s size, he stands in front of the net on the PP.
e. His blocked shots for the year is third fir the Preds forwards behind only Bonino and Sissons (recognizes that Watson and Salomaki are on par or better on a per game basis)
f. His hits trail only Watson for the team lead and only Watson and Salomaki for hits per game.
g. 111 playoff games is more than any other Pred. Compare Bonino and Rinne in the 80’s.

He is a Watson replacement, not like-for-like but with a lot of overlap and some trade offs both ways. This is a good spend of a 2nd round pick.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Second rounder seems high but this guy is instantly adding heart and grit for us. I like the character move here, not the talent move. Its fine.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Well, not to put too fine a point on the rest of our team but consider this for our new 4th liner:
a. His 13 goals this year put him in the top 5 for the Preds.... ahead of Joey, Jarnkrok, Fiala, Turris, Hartman much less our bottom 3 -5 forwards.
b. He has an assist on a PP this month
c. He has a PP goal in 2019
d. Even though he isn’t Arvy’s size, he stands in front of the net on the PP.
e. His blocked shots for the year is third fir the Preds forwards behind only Bonino and Sissons (recognizes that Watson and Salomaki are on par or better on a per game basis)
f. His hits trail only Watson for the team lead and only Watson and Salomaki for hits per game.
g. 111 playoff games is more than any other Pred. Compare Bonino and Rinne in the 80’s.

He is a Watson replacement, not like-for-like but with a lot of overlap and some trade offs both ways. This is a good spend of a 2nd round pick.

Some of these points are sad but still crack me up. B - D hah.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Would Boyle spend time as a winger in top 9?

Especially if Turris is back? RyJo - Turris - Bonino - Sissons in the middle
Laviolette is trying different combinations during regular season, so it's not out of the question, but I doubt it's more than a few shifts or one game thing if he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad