Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] Brian Boyle for 2019 2nd round pick

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Modern era of scouting, drafting, development at an all time high. The odds are increasing that 2nd rounders will be far better players than the rentals they're traded for.

Especially just a Boyle type. Nashville is desperate and with good reason to get over the hump but... not a good trade.

Same is true for all 31 teams. The odds of a late 2nd still aren't much. Plus, the Devils won't find out for years. Meh.

Admittedly I probably would have guessed a 3rd, but to call it a bad trade? Not at all.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Modern era of scouting, drafting, development at an all time high. The odds are increasing that 2nd rounders will be far better players than the rentals they're traded for.

Especially just a Boyle type. Nashville is desperate and with good reason to get over the hump but... not a good trade.

Can someone teach the Oilers how to do this .

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That seems like an odd fit, considering the Predators have like a billion centers and are deep at forward.

Turris is seemingly always injured. Also, though Johansen is pretty durable, his injury during the SCF a couple of years ago really hurt the team. I think that Poile is nervous about being in the playoffs and losing centers, so he's making sure that he has plenty.

LA Kings legend on the move.

Of all of the giant forwards that Dave Taylor was so infatuated with drafting, Boyle might be the only one to have actually panned out... and his successor traded him only 36 games into his NHL career... even though he had 8 goals in those games. I'm still trying to figure that out.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Do not like. Would of been fine with a 3rd all the same so not like it’s the end of the world.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Kings
Rangers
Lightning
Leafs
Devils
Predators

With a likely 7th team next off-season. Still ways to go until he's Mike Sillinger but hey, it's a start.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
A pick in the 50-60 range gets you what: a grinder/depth player about 1 in 5, top 4 D and/or top 6 forward about 1 in 10. And how many years down the road you can't tell.

Of course you could get really lucky and hit the jackpot with a star player there, but how many times does that really happen.

2nd round picks in this range have more value to a team (in general) if they flip it with another asset for a better pick or a player who is useful or cost controlled now.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Of all of the giant forwards that Dave Taylor was so infatuated with drafting, Boyle might be the only one to have actually panned out... and his successor traded him only 36 games into his NHL career... even though he had 8 goals in those games. I'm still trying to figure that out.
Somewhere out there CBGB is silently weeping to himself that Boyle managed to carve out a pretty decent NHL career.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
2nd... 3rd... really splitting hairs here. Nashville really hopes the 2nd will be so late it's basically a 3rd in which case they won't really give a shit about having made this trade.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Lmao because your centre depth is tremendous. Teammates love Boyle, don’t discredit him with nonsense.

Most Habs' fans would be happy with a guy like Boyle as our 4th line C, he's a very solid player. However at this point it doesn't make sense for the Habs to give up a 2nd rounder for a 4th line C as they likely won't get out of the first round.

As a Leaf fan you should be well aware of giving up second rounders for 4th line Cs and then not making it out of the first round.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Lmao because your centre depth is tremendous. Teammates love Boyle, don’t discredit him with nonsense.
We don't need to give futures away for Brian f***ing slowpoke Boyle. Besides, that's rich coming from you considering your "elite" team is just 1 point ahead of the Habs. That's sad, since you supposedly have (according to you guys) the greatest players on Earth, the best of everything, bla bla bla, and the Habs just don't have any good players, nor any depth, on their roster.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
From what I've seen from Devils fans, his play is not as good as his stats lead on. Could be wrong tho if any Devils fans want to chime in.
Saw him in Montreal on Saturday, was amazed how much he played especially on the PP.
Looked like the same guy who was in Toronto 2 deadlines ago.
Little slow but knows how to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad