Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] Brian Boyle for 2019 2nd round pick

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Boyle isn't a 4th liner

He, in the past 2 seasons was on pace for 30 and 40 pts on pretty bad teams.
his pace this and the past 2 years over 82 games:
16-17: 27.3
17-18: 27.3
18-19: 33.1

That's pretty creative saying "on pace for 30 and 40 points".

This is too costly in my opinion. Sellers will be in paradise this TDL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He was one of the only players to show up in the playoffs last year for NJ. He’s a force when he gets worked up which isn’t that often but he’s always big always strong hand always fills a great utility role while providing some leadership and inspiration. If you actually want to win those are exactly the kind of depth players to have. As others have said the pick will be about 58-62 hardly a sure thing in any draft.

It always amazes me how some fans of really good teams wring their hands over this sort of trade. I get why a playoff bubble team would shy away but a true cup contender should make every effort to make even incremental improvements to its roster for the playoffs so long as it doesn’t upset the locker room.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I’d love to see how many people can name the players selected between 58-62, or even just one, during last summer’s draft.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Good deal for both sides.

As many have noted already, Brian Boyle is an excellent team guy, is a more than capable 3C/4C, can check really well and has a touch of scoring ability as well.
He is still searching for that elusive Stanley Cup and Nashville will certainly be getting a very hungry player in him to that end.

As for NJ, hey, not gonna say addition by subtraction because Boyle on NJ was good for the Devils, however, they DID turn a 34 yr old, bottom six, soon-to-be UFA player into a 2nd round draft choice.
Really....not too shabby. So now the Devs have 3 picks in the first two rounds for now...barring any further deals of course.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A 2nd is a fair return. He's a good bottom 6'er with some pretty good intangibles and a good guy to have for a playoff run.

Tells me that the Devils are hedging their bets as far as making the playoffs this year. I say this because a couple/three games back a Devils analyst called a Rangers team unimpressive and that despite the fact that the Devils had a worse record than the Rangers and their analysts repeated several times that night that they expected their team to make a run at a playoff spot. That sounded weird to me and this trade pretty much tells me that they're going to be a seller and not a buyer--which IMO is what they should be doing.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
A 2nd is a fair return. He's a good bottom 6'er with some pretty good intangibles and a good guy to have for a playoff run.

Tells me that the Devils are hedging their bets as far as making the playoffs this year. I say this because a couple/three games back a Devils analyst called a Rangers team unimpressive and that despite the fact that the Devils had a worse record than the Rangers and their analysts repeated several times that night that they expected their team to make a run at a playoff spot. That sounded weird to me and this trade pretty much tells me that they're going to be a seller and not a buyer--which IMO is what they should be doing.

Not sure what you were listening to but Cangi and Daneyko have been pretty blunt about the fact that they’re not making the playoffs this season.

And were they lying about the Rangers? They are unimpressive...smh

It’s pretty obvious the Devils will be selling. They just sent there best goaltender back down to the AHL..

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The chance of a player picked in the 2nd round becoming as good as Boyle isn't real high.

I like Boyle, but if the second rounder becomes a steady 4th liner (if he's a forward) then it's a wash. Any more is a bonus, any less is no big deal. Boyle isn't the player he used to be. Should fit in on Nashville, but he's a fourth liner at best at this point in his career.

One thing that frustrates me about him is that for a big guy, he sure goes down easy in the corners IMO. Smaller guys have too easy a time knocking him down.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not sure what you were listening to but Cangi and Daneyko have been pretty blunt about the fact that they’re not making the playoffs this season.

And were they lying about the Rangers? They are unimpressive...smh

It’s pretty obvious the Devils will be selling. They just sent there best goaltender back down to the AHL..

No---they're not lying about the Rangers---at least for the most part. The defense is a mess and once you get past the Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Kreider line and Hayes the offense disappears--though Chytil's not doing badly for a 19 year old. It's a work in progress at this point but the Devils look to be headed that way too--though Hall is really elite and Hischier is really good now and should get better. IMO they have kind of a glued together defense too--their goaltending has become an issue and forward depth ain't that great either. I think the Rangers are a bit deeper in prospects but overall the teams are almost in the same place at the moment. If Hall wasn't out--the Devils no doubt would be doing a lot better but maybe not making the playoffs better. As good as Hall is I don't think he makes them a playoff team this year.

The Boyle deal is a good deal for them. Got to move those UFA's.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
The guy battled and beat cancer, have some respect. I’m kinda glad Montreal is doing so well, just pushing back the rebuild another year. Would love to see you in the playoffs over the Bruins in the first round.
Oh, I didn't actually know he battled cancer. :( And yes, I would love to see the Leafs in the 1st round as well - been way too long.

Mar 12, 2009
I recall people thinking a 2nd was pretty pricey when the Leafs traded for him a couple years back, and he's more or less the same quality 4th liner he was then (granted he's on slightly higher ppg pace than when traded for back then).

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Um - sure, I guess. He's better than Gaudreau so this will make us slightly better.

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Fiala - Turris - Smith
Sissons - Bonino - Jarnkrok
Hartman - Boyle - Grimaldi
McLeod - Boyle - Hartman :naughty:

but seriously is grimaldi really better than watson ?

Reactions: PJ817

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I like Boyle, but if the second rounder becomes a steady 4th liner (if he's a forward) then it's a wash. Any more is a bonus, any less is no big deal. Boyle isn't the player he used to be. Should fit in on Nashville, but he's a fourth liner at best at this point in his career.

One thing that frustrates me about him is that for a big guy, he sure goes down easy in the corners IMO. Smaller guys have too easy a time knocking him down.

I agree with everything you said - my point is that a 2nd is not a BIG price to pay.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The chance of a player picked in the 2nd round becoming as good as Boyle isn't real high.

I agree, but that's not the only factor in price. The player picked certainly CAN be better than Boyle. The 2nd round is littered with players better than Boyle and would be under control for like 7 years, in place of Boyle's 3-4 months.

Reactions: TK 421

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Giving up a 2nd rd for an upgrade on the 4th isnt smart at all.
Have you seen the Preds power play? Giving a second for someone to stand in front of the net and screen point shots in hopes of improving the woeful production is, by definition, smart. Everything else is a bonus- size, PK time, experience.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I agree, but that's not the only factor in price. The player picked certainly CAN be better than Boyle. The 2nd round is littered with players better than Boyle and would be under control for like 7 years, in place of Boyle's 3-4 months.
It really isn't.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
The guy battled and beat cancer
Let's focus on that, no vague reference to trash talk otherwise.

Anyone who can survive is a superstar, anyone who can thrive past that is an inspiration. Lost my mom to cancer, and my brother is in a late stage battle now. It takes a toll on everyone involved. But if you all fight and come out on the positive side of it in any way, it moves people.

Boyle definitely isn't a skilled top 6 deadline acquisition type, but he's got a lot of fight. Sometimes that's all you need to inspire others.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

No disagreement from me. I just think that generally speaking, picks are overrated on these boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad