Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] Brian Boyle for 2019 2nd round pick

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Let's focus on that, no vague reference to trash talk otherwise.

Anyone who can survive is a superstar, anyone who can thrive past that is an inspiration. Lost my mom to cancer, and my brother is in a late stage battle now. It takes a toll on everyone involved. But if you all fight and come out on the positive side of it in any way, it moves people.

Boyle definitely isn't a skilled top 6 deadline acquisition type, but he's got a lot of fight. Sometimes that's all you need to inspire others.

Sorry to hear about your loss, prayers for your brother.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Boyle instantly becomes the #2 scorer on the PP, also he can be paired with fast wings...like Rocco Grimaldi and Ryan Hartman

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
No disagreement from me. I just think that generally speaking, picks are overrated on these boards.

Perhaps...but then again, when you are rebuilding or building, as NJ is doing, the more picks the better....even if only one or two pan out.
More picks, particularly in the first three rounds simply affords a team trying to build itself up with more opportunities to hit the jackpot with a good NHL player.

And gaining said pick for a guy who would no longer be a factor in NJ's season is quite good, IMO.

Reactions: mtnet

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Perhaps...but then again, when you are rebuilding or building, as NJ is doing, the more picks the better....even if only one or two pan out.
More picks, particularly in the first three rounds simply affords a team trying to build itself up with more opportunities to hit the jackpot with a good NHL player.

And gaining said pick for a guy who would no longer be a factor in NJ's season is quite good, IMO.

Yes I know. My original reply was to someone who said a 2nd for Boyle was too steep a price.

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Have you seen the Preds power play? Giving a second for someone to stand in front of the net and screen point shots in hopes of improving the woeful production is, by definition, smart. Everything else is a bonus- size, PK time, experience.

I didnt watch them recently. You're probably more accurate than me to judge their needs but if the problem is realy the powerplay, I disagree to call Boyle a legit solution if even he has sizes and power. I would add this 2nd to someone else to realy add something with an impact on a scoreboard.

We wish you good luck

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
We have goal scorers, pmd and playmakers we need a body in front

Exactly. Preds get some size to replace Watson and a good net front presence at a relatively low cost. The Devils get a second round pick that helps with the rebuild, especially since they moved a lot of 2nds and 3rds in recent years for guys like Palmieri, MarJo and Mueller. This looks like a win win to me

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
To everyone saying this is a bad deal: We someone to replace our best penalty killer, a net front presence and a center who's 50% on the dot for a late 2nd. If we didn't make a deal like this we would have been asking why Poile didn't do anything to address Watson's replacement.

Reactions: My3Sons and Kallio

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Nashville needs Stone or preferably Hoffman or they are out first round. 2/3 top scorers are on the D. This won't move the needle of a middling team.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
A 2nd rounder might be kind of expensive, but the Preds can afford it, and they get Boyle almost 3 weeks before the deadline. Those extra 10ish games will give him time to get familiar with the team and get ready for the playoffs. This could make a difference in the end.

ThePrideofStockholm

Sep 29, 2017
Stockholm
Have only see him live once and remember him standing next to Will Butcher at a face off, the man is big! Good luck in Nashville and I hope you'll get to lift the cup.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Laughing my ass off at anyone who thinks a team in the midst of what is likely about a 4 or 5 year cup window will rue not having a 2nd round pick at some point.

Seriously, it's like saying paying 5 dollars for a sandwich when you're really hungry was dumb because you might need that 5 bucks for gas in 4 years.

Reactions: My3Sons

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Nashville needs Stone or preferably Hoffman or they are out first round. 2/3 top scorers are on the D. This won't move the needle of a middling team.

Jeez, if you consider Nashville a middling team, I would hate to hear what you think of the actual middling teams in the NHL.

Besides, it was a second round pick and it does address an unexpected hole that developed in their bottom 6 last week. This never had anything to do with addressing the 2nd line and that pick was never going to land a guy like Stone. I imagine Ottawa would be asking for some combo of pieces out of Nashville's 1st/ Fabbro / Fiala / Tolvanen.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Laughing my ass off at anyone who thinks a team in the midst of what is likely about a 4 or 5 year cup window will rue not having a 2nd round pick at some point.

Seriously, it's like saying paying 5 dollars for a sandwich when you're really hungry was dumb because you might need that 5 bucks for gas in 4 years.

And yet HFBoards are littered with just those sort of comments when these sort of trades are made. It’s as if some fans are afraid of winning.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
2nd round picks are way more important than winning. This is Hockey’s Future after all. And the future is all anyone seems to care about on here. That’s why (no offense) teams like Carolina and Florida have been hyped up for what seems like a decade.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A 2nd rounder might be kind of expensive, but the Preds can afford it, and they get Boyle almost 3 weeks before the deadline. Those extra 10ish games will give him time to get familiar with the team and get ready for the playoffs. This could make a difference in the end.

Preds adding grit is the smartest thing they can do outside a stud. The Jets will be even more confident and experienced this time around so they needed to do whatever they can do.

Believe me, as a Jets fan we respect your team and how we had to play our best hockey ever just to squeak by on your goalie having a bad game when we played a good one.

But Jets will have their own deadline acquisitions so this may not be the end for Nashville either.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Every time I read Brian Boyle's name I immediately think of Brian Boitano and that goddamn song from South Park Movie starts playing in my head, and that's why I don't like Brian Boyle.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I like the deal for Nashville & NJ. The second is important but we on this board tend to overate their value. The Preds want to win now and need some grit for the playoffs plus a boost on the PP.

MusicCityPreds

Jul 27, 2015

It’s almost as if the team struggled with missing its top two wingers and #2c for over a month each. No way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->