Confirmed Trade: [NSH/MIN] Mikael Granlund for Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
W toC hopefully ;).

In all honesty though, he’s 22 years old and to think he can’t improve is Dumb. First of all, he’s got elite skill. His main issues, from what I’ve seen, are his strength on the puck and defensive awareness. The latter is less likely to take a big step, but if Fiala improves his strength he’s going to be allowed to use his skill and speed a lot more. Not to mention the boost he’s going to get from going from a 2/3rd liner in Nsh to a 1st liner in MN that gets big minutes and top power play time.
I don't know that he's ever going to be a "strong" player. His bigger issues from watching him the last few years are decision-making and consistent effort level. The talent's all there though.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Huh? Wild got a haul and Preds got a 15-20 goal, 45-50’assist guy. Good deal.

A 15-20G 45-50A player is a 60-70 point player. Fiala, while having upside, is a 50 point player at this moment.

Granlund's 67 and 69 point seasons from the last two years would be the best scoring seasons the Preds have had since 2007-2008.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I still can't understand that this is the value of a guy who's in top-10 in RW scoring for last 3 seasons and is a good two-way player on top of that. AND is still RFA. Fenton better hope he's right about Fiala.
Not an RFA tho.

The Wild got youth. And Fiala seems to be ahead of Granlund if you look at how they played at the same age.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Still cantc believe Granny went for only Fiala. I mean he is a solid 20+25 player, but still.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
what was the verbiage? Sounded like he was taking calls on Granlund from other teams but had Fiala targeted for most of the year. iirc.

not the quote i was thinking of but still...
When he was on Barreiro, Russo said "even today, though, I was talking to other teams and he was offering Granlund around the league, I think as a Plan B, just in case this thing with Nashville fell through."

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
It was kind of obvious though. Minnesota has been going nowhere fast for the last 3-4 years. The train already passed them, so the only way to advance is to change the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of Dubnyk, Koivu, Zucker will be gone in the summer.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Does Fiala play RW? Because isn't Parise the #1 LW in Minny?

Figured at least a pick would be coming with Fiala... 1-for-1 for potential vs a proven 65-70pt player is insane.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
There's really no way to spin this as a win for my Wild. Even if Fiala pans out in a couple of years, it was still shitty value for this year. Fenton's plan is pretty clear... but man, he seems to be really really bad a trading.

Reactions: Rebels57

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Not an RFA tho.

The Wild got youth. And Fiala seems to be ahead of Granlund if you look at how they played at the same age.
Getting better every year is what every team hopes about their prospects but when you look at the amount of players that have scored 65-70 points last 3 seasons you know that it doesn't happen like that. The odds are stacked against Fiala ever becoming even 60 point player. Not even many Wild fans would have believed the jump that Granlund made from 50 point player to 65-70 point player.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I don't know that he's ever going to be a "strong" player. His bigger issues from watching him the last few years are decision-making and consistent effort level. The talent's all there though.
That was Granlund at that age as well even has moments now where he is like that.

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Still cantc believe Granny went for only Fiala. I mean he is a solid 20+25 player, but still.

I was thinking the same. I was wondering since he went for only Fiala the Flames could have easily pulled that trade off.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Does Fiala play RW? Because isn't Parise the #1 LW in Minny?

Figured at least a pick would be coming with Fiala... 1-for-1 for potential vs a proven 65-70pt player is insane.
I mean Granlund is a 2 playoff rental for the Preds. Fiala is a hefty price to pay for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad